Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Palette Knife imparting translucent white

Gallery
    View images

Palette Knife imparting translucent white

I have begun to notice that when I am blending a color, plus a darker one using the palette knife, that the palette knife imparts a translucent white cast, rather than a chromatic blend of the two colors..

some blending of those colors does occur, but what you really notice is this white..almost like a white film over the worked area.

anyone else notice this? I reset the palette knife, but still get this white stuff.

archer

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Archer,

I get that too. I think it represents the paper with all the paint scraped off.
    It prints out very weird.

It could be too smooth a canvas so all the paint gets scooped off. I've never really been able to pin it down.

Andy will be donning his Superman suit and zooming to our rescue even as we speak! :lol:
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

Gallery
    View images
    I could see that more easily were it not for the fact that I'm talking about areas well-saturated with paint/pigment..in some cases, several layers..

do you mean that the palette knife is in a sense, looking beneath laid pigment, and smearing "canvas" over it?

if so, that is what it looks like...

archer

Gallery
    View images
    Can you post an example image of what you mean?
    Thanks.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    OK..here is one..this is a loose illustration of a building..began sort of a blonde color, then I added some darker, redder/brown tones, then went in with palette knife to do some blending. the white areas are what resulted..

archer

[/img]

Gallery
    View images
    I can hear Andy coming.... please send us that file!

D.

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Archer, yep i have had that too but only very rarley-you didnt use any clear marker to wet your paint layer by any chance did you? I ask becasue sometimes when i do that I get white marks like these:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I like to have a thing suggested rather than told in full. When every detail is given, the mind rests satisfied, and the imagination loses the desire to use its own wings."
    ~Thomas Bailey Aldrich~

Gallery
    View images
    no. the tools I'm using on this thing are: oil paint and palette knife...eraser as needed.

tx

archer

Gallery
    View images
    Okay...
    The palette knife is capable of smearing the pigment thin enough that the canvas colour shows through. It's not adding the colour of the canvas to the paint, it's actually making the paint slightly transparent and the canvas is showing through.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    I get what your saying Andy about the show through looking white cause you see the canvass under the paint

....but can you explain to me why does the bit circled in yellow formed by going toward the painted area with the pallet knife appear to do this and go white from show through ......when the bit circled in green formed by going away from the painted area with the pallet knife seems to just peter out of paint and dosent go white im a bit confused am i missing something obvious? just want to understand so i can predict what results i will have from what
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I like to have a thing suggested rather than told in full. When every detail is given, the mind rests satisfied, and the imagination loses the desire to use its own wings."
    ~Thomas Bailey Aldrich~