ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity or not.

Gallery
    View images

1024 levels of pressure sensitivity or not.

Hello,
    I'm finally going to buy my Wacom tablet.
    I've decided on either the Bamboo Fun or the Intuos3 6x8.

At the moment I'm having a hard time deciding which one. Price is a factor, but not at the cost of quality.

Can someone explain how an image created with the Bamboo compare with one done on a Intuos3?
    Can you post some sample images for comparison?

I'm planning to do some 3ft. x 4ft. paintings to be made into posters.
    Is the Bamboo the right tablet for this job?

I have searched the forums, but I didn't find anything concerning how important is 1024 pressure sensitivity compare to 512.

Thank you

Gallery
    View images
    In my opinion, it absolutely matters, but it's not something I noticed right away. I've been using a tablet for over 10 years, and it's only recently (the past two years or so) that I've started to notice that I can't seem to get the precise control over my brush (or pencil usually, in my case) stroke, no matter how carefully I touch pen to tablet. Having used a tablet with greater pressure sensitivity before, it felt to me that it was easier to achieve that type of control. My tablets so far have been great, but my next tablet will definitely have greater sensitivity.

Gallery
    View images
    One note for justG. With my first (very cheap) Wacom, I exp. problems over time with pressure sensibility.
    I have this thought that just maybe the pen can get worn down. The thousands of pressures may eventually influence on the pressure levels.

I would think the work area size and other functions (eg how many buttons on pen, does the tablet have scroll wheel) would be more important than the levels thoug.

Just my 5c. DoodLS

Gallery
    View images
    I think it depends on if you've worked with real media or not....for me I haven't really so 512 pressure is fine for me, although that's all I've ever used. But I don't have a problem with that.(because I've only ever worked digitally) but if you've previously done alot of art work painting drawing, with real media then 512 pressure may not cut it for you, (i'm just going off what others have mentioned :lol: :lol It depends on that, and finance :P :lol:

Gallery
    View images
    The difference between pressures 437 and 449 on my tablet is barely noticeable. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this problem.

Gallery
    View images
    The difference to which I was referring is that between 512 and 1024, which I found to be noticeable, not a smaller amount.

@DoodLS: Thanks for that. My note wasn't clear: I've been using a tablet for over 10 years, but it's not the same one. =)

Gallery
    View images
    I know I am just being a smart ass. I imagine that double the sensitivity would make for greater ease of us.
    I will take your word for that.
    I have seen some very impressive work with a mouse around here, so I am wondering how much importance can be attributed to pressure sensitivity.
    I just have a feeling that the level numbers are greatly exaggerated.
    One thing is obvious... 1024 should be twice as sensitive as 512.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by gzairborne
    I have seen some very impressive work with a mouse around here, so I am wondering how much importance can be attributed to pressure sensitivity.
    You're certainly right about that, but as I think ubuntu and many others have said, it's not the tool, it's what you do with it. For some, though, the more closely a tool approximates what they're used to, the easier the transition is from analogue to digital. A tool can't replace raw talent, but the wrong one could be a hindrance to using the talent one's already got... y'know wot I mean? =)

Gallery
    View images
    Hello everyone,
    A BIG thanks to everyone who posted.

My main concern was the quality of the work.
    I guess I imagined the artwork created with the Bamboo (regardless of the software &/or talent) to have a pixelish look to it. ops:

One thing I read was that the Intuos3 has a res of 5080 lpi and the Bamboo has 2540 lpi.
    How would this effect a oil or watercolor image? On the surface yes, any work done with 5080 lpi tablet vs. 2540 tablet would look better but how noticeable will it actually be?
    Can you compensate by working at a higher res?

I really just don't have any way to judge because I never worked with them.

If the case is that I would have to look at the image (once printed on paper or a t-shirt, etc) 4" away to notice the difference between the two tablets
    that would clinch it for me.

Sorry for all the questions but I don't want to end up with two tablets in the end.

JustG,
    I agree, the tablet is just a tool and you can't substitute it for talent.

Thank again for your help

Gallery
    View images
    No, the cheaper tablet doesn't give a more pixelated look. Nothing to do with it.
    I bought the Intuos3 because I wanted the pressure sensitivity, but I cant say its made that much of a difference actually. I don't like to have to press hard so i always set the tablet to the softest setting. The only difference I notice between the cheaper and the more expensive tablet is that I don't have to press as hard as I did before, so its less tiring on the hand.

I had imagined there would be this tremendous adjustment to the strokes appearance, but no. Not that much.

Someone on the forum found a brilliant tablet that cost very little (made in China). Cant remember what it was called right now but maybe you could do a search?

Good luck.