ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Making money

Making money

As some of you know, I am both an advocate of art for art's sake and of making money off of your art. I think we all can agree that the possibility of any of us becoming rich and/or famous here are somewhere between slim and none. But if we can make a few extra dollars ... pounds ... marks ... lira ... francs ... krona, or whatever, why not??? I've been doing this for a year now and selling for around eight months. I've managed to sell eight prints to date. Trust me, I'm not getting rich. But I have made more money than I've had to spend in the attempt. In my case, on Etsy.com, but there are other ways to get your art out there. Join your local Art Guild; establish a relationship with your local frame shop; do flea markets (probably a different term outside the states); make/print a portfolio and take it to local restaurants and see if they would be interested in letting you hang a print or two with a business card.

I'll use Jacktar51 as an example: Can you imagine a restaurant or bar/pub with a nautical theme and his works festooning the walls? Seems like a natural fit to me. Or an avant-garde club with some of Peter Pinckney's "doodles"?

I know we all do this because we love the creative process. But the process is not cheapened if we just happen to make a little money on the side is it?

I see so many amazing works being displayed here and can't help but think that it's just a shame that almost none of them ever have an audience outside of here. I'm reminded of a parable about hiding your light under a basket.

Galena, Kansas, USA (Southeast corner of the state)
    Hello Robert,

I totally agree. I love photography as much as painting. I have thousands of photos from my travels across the USA, Europe and the UK. This summer I am going to start framing the photos and displaying them for sale. My husband says I should print and frame some of my photos and mix them in with the photos. He says the "one of a kind" of both would be a good selling point. I wish everyone the best of wishes.

Actually, I would strongly recommend against framing. It's both potentially expensive and a matter of personal choice. You can spend upwards of $200 in my neck of the woods to have a wall sized image matted and framed. Matting alone can cost $30. A much more affordable alternative is to have your image "backed and bagged". In other words, mounted on a semi-rigid surface and then put in a protective plastic wrap. A good idea in addition is to provide the print with a small border that compliments the image or, at least, doesn't detract from it.

It occured to me that, having made reference to my Etsy.com presence, I should provide a link to an earlier post I made in reference to that.

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...pic.php?t=8429

Nice post, Robert.

Could open the doors for some folk.

Bravo on your success.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream