ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Pencil problem

Gallery
    View images

Pencil problem

Hello
    Love artrage and will continue to use and support your products. I've just got a new vista based computer and use a intuos 3 tablet with the latest driver.
    Whenever I'm doing quick loose sketches with the pencil tool, another line appears next to the first stroke I made. I never noticed this happening on my old XP machine. If you could shed some light on this annoying problem that would be great. Cheers

Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pencil_problem_169.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	161.3 KB 
ID:	13957  

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Mark,

The difference between XP and Vista regarding tablet handling, is that Vista has Microsoft's Ink Services, which we use by default if they are present, rather than the older standard Wintab. it's possible that you have some settings in Ink Services or something related which is causing the strange behavior.

What I'd recommend you do is make sure you have the latest version of ArtRage ( 2.5.20 ) from www.artrage.com/artrageinstaller.html

If that doesn't help, create a file called no_ink.inf and put it in the Resources subfolder at Artrage's install location on your new computer ( make sure you have the latest version first or this won't work ). This will cancel the use of ink services and cause ArtRage to use Wintab instead.

Hope that helps!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    I wasn't sure by what type of file you said to create so I made a new folder called no_ink .inf and seemed to of done the trick. Cheers!

Gallery
    View images
    I should've been a bit more specific there, sorry about that! That's quite right, any file at all will work, ArtRage just looks for the filename.

That's great to hear, really glad it helped! I suspect you may have a setting or two in Pen Input in your Vista control panel at a guess which may be related to that problem when running under Ink Services, but there's not particular advantage to doing so, so the no_ink way of doing things should work just as well.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    Posting on this as I have the same problem, have tried the suggested solution, but the problem persists. Any ideas what to do? I've updated, restarted, made a file called no_ink.inf first, then a folder, but the problem is still there.

I'm thinking it's the extension... I can create a file called no_ink.inf, but the actual extension of the file isn't .inf, it's only a part of the filename. So, how do I create an actual .inf file?

Gallery
    View images
    You can do it using Notepad. When you save the file, put "no_ink.inf" as the filename, then in the "File Type" box, choose "All Files (*.*)" This will stop it from adding a .txt extension.

Gallery
    View images
    Alright, I managed to create the file with the extension .inf, but guess what. It didn't fix the problem. I'm clueless. Any way I can access this Ink Services program on my computer, or alter any settings that might make a difference?

EDIT: It's working. For now, that is. I used the downloader link posted earlier in this thread, installed the latest version and created a no_ink.inf inside the resources folder of the new install, and all seems to be fine now. I'll keep you updated should any further issues arise
    Last edited by Kauil; 05-26-2008 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Supposedly found a solution

Gallery
    View images
    Glad to hear that did the trick. This settings change will only work with the absolute latest version at this point ( 2.5.20 ) as we added the ability to disable Ink Services very recently. Older versions will just ignore the no_ink.inf file and continue to use Ink Services.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design