Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Saint Lou...2D/3D Mixed Media

AgedP: DOH! I missed your post! I'm getting old! Sorry for not replying...
    I'm glad you like the piece. Do you have a link to a painting you brought in and finished with Art Rage? I'd love to see it.

NewCube:Thanks...

This digital age we live in is a continuous source of wonder for me. I've been a digital artist for 26 years now and seeing my work go from black and white pixels a 1/4' high to simulating real media in the 2D and 3D realms is a trip and a half.

Of course getting older does have it's moments. I was talking to 2 of the IT people at work and I mentioned that I worked for Commodore computers back in '89-90. They never heard of them! I said Commodore made the Commodore 64 and the Amiga computers. They never heard of them either...:lol:

These folks were 24 and 25 years old and are responsible for keeping our network and render farm up and running. It just blew my mind that the history of computing is lost on most folks today. I felt a little sorry for them as they never got to witness the birth of the digital revolution.

It's a lot like a wave that is so large that it extends farther than we can see. And it's always there so we just take it for granted. None the less, as long as this wave is breaking, I'll always be there perched at it's crest on my little surfboard of colored photons, riding the binary curl...

Surfs up, people, have a bitchin' ride...

Dickie

High Dickie,

Fantastic, spot on Lou. Enjoy your work and your comments. Keep 'em comming!

Now do David Lynch...

sam

It's scary that I remember using a Commodore Pet with 4KB of RAM, and how exciting I thought the release of the Atari 400 was.
    And who can forget the fun of trying to enter a page of badly-printed hex codes using the horrible membrane keyboard of the ZX81.
    Still, I learnt PASCAL programming as my first language on the university's computer, then later moved to BBC Basic and 6502 assembly code.

I respect that you worked for Commodore, and I think the '64 was a fantastic piece of hardware. The 6502 processor will always have a special place in my heart.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

I still have my Commodore Vic-20 boxed up with it's manuals somewhere. It was my first computer -- though I had used TRS-80's and Apples in school. It cost a whopping $99, and I can remember what a big deal it was the night we drove to the nearest dealer and picked it up!

D.

I used to type assembly into the the Sinclair ZX-81 from computer hobby mags as a kid, well, as a 19 year old kid... :lol: I then used to program simple stuff in assembler on my C64.

The I got an Amiga and was upset because most commercial programs for that were written in C. I wanted more programs to be written in assembler for the speed, but those days were soon to be gone. Now I don't think anything is written in assembler anymore as it takes to long to code the massive chunks of code we use for all our software needs.

Because we have so many different graphis and sound cards, it's much easier to just point to graphics and sound libraries than to code them for a specific manufacturers product. Especially in the PC world.

Is this correct, Andy?

Dickie

Most code these days tends to be written in higher level languages. Really it depends on the application. Web-based stuff is PHP, ASP. VB, Java. Business software is commonly written in VB or Delphi, as a front end to an SQL or Oracle database.
    'Modern' fast applications are riddled with COM, and use .Net (or C# or Objective C). I hate those...

ArtRage is all C++.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Nice to hear how you youngsters started!

For me it was assembling the Nascom/Lynx and making 700 soldered joints!

No keyboard, just an alphanumeric pad.
    6" Green screen.

Taking a day to input the Moonlander program. Saving it to a cheap tape recorder. Reloading it from tape. Entering it all again.

Oh what joy!
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

Ah, the Commodore 64, my first computer when I was 8.. 23 years later and I've just installed a C64 emulator on my PHONE!!! (Palm Treo 650)

http://frodopalm.sourceforge.net/gallery.html

I can't get enough of Laser Squad on the train. I bet it blows people's minds when they see the blue on blue C64 screen blinking away on my phone screen!

:shock: Wow that is amazing piece of art work, looks so real which makes it the more scary. Would not like to meet up with him.Beautifully done, simply great.Regards,Tony

Andy: Yeah, it seems now programs HAVE to be written in a higher level languague. Unless you are coding for a fixed Hardware base, like the PSP, for example, where all hardware is identical. The it would make sense to use assembler if you can find the SDK for the chipset and have a lot of time... :lol:

AgedP: Ahhh yes, The old tape days. I used an old Radio Shack tape recorder to save my ZX-81 code to...I remember when my buddy and I would wait 20 minutes for Jumpman to load into my C64. We'd have a beer or 2 as we waited. Made for some challenging games... :lol:

NewCube: I have a Sony PSP and have a TON of emulators on it. I have a C64, an Atari ST, an Amiga, a Super NES, an NES, a Genesis, a Neo-Geo, a gameboy, a Lynx, MAME, a Colocovision and other assorted apps and emulators all on 1 unit. It's bloody incredible what is being done in homebrew nowadays!

As long as I have portable Jumpman, Venture, Metal Slug, and my music, I'm a happy boy... :lol:

Tony: I'm glad you like it... As it's a 3D image with the over/under painting done in Art Rage, then it's cheating, really. But I've never been one to stay in the box. Just ask my bosses. They tend to have to keep guiding me back to the vicinity of the box... :lol:

Thanks to everyone who took the time to comment. I really like the community here on these forums. I'm also very pleased that the developers of this fine software join us here and are active in the community. This is normally a rare occurance nowadays, unfortunately. We are fortunate to have them here with us...

Dickie