ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Forever Adrift

Galena, Kansas, USA (Southeast corner of the state)

Forever Adrift

This is done with stencils. Thank you so much Jack. I borrowed the stencils that you shared with us. Didn't take much time, but I think it turned out pretty good. Any suggestions are welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forever_adrift_206.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	199.0 KB 
ID:	13752  

Very impressive interpretation JD.

Really unique style you have here, especially color compostion.

One thing I would do to improve this image is create a layer and fill in below the horizon line some blue to distinguish between the sky and sea.
    I am not sure how you created this image yet if you have the ships on a seperate layer from the background of sky and sea this should be relatively painless and quick to add this effect. On the other hand if this image is all on one layer you may need to use the eraser tool on the blue paint layer so the image of the ship is excluded from the blue back drop.
    You might carefully erase the blue over the ship object or other foreground objects.

Once you have this layer on, adjust opacity setting to a lower level. I would try something less than 40%.

Before you start experimenting open your original art rage file and save with a new name. For the sake of avoiding confusion with other file names I would suggest something like the same title as the original with "blue addition" or a "II" added to the name, or anything similar.
    The very first digital art program that I worked with Art Rage 1

You may visit my personally designed website at: www.stephenlopiano.com
    There is one section full of pages there under the Digital Artwork category that is devoted entirely to paintings I have created with Art Rage.

Galena, Kansas, USA (Southeast corner of the state)

Redone - forever adrift

Thank you Robert....sweet as always. And Stephan, I took your advice and worked on the water abit. I don't have a clue how to use layers... so did my best. Thanks again to both of you for taking the time to look.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forever_adrift3_195.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	185.6 KB 
ID:	13859  

Great style in this disquieting painting where vivid colours do not diminish the sense fo sadness. 8) 8)
    It seems that the subject of this painting, a somehow cursed Flying Dutchman ghost, lives superficially among lights, success, worldly events and parties, but feels now a deep melancholy and severance from all that frivolous theater while is not able to sail where he wishes!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Hello Julie. Since you posted in 'critique' I feel like I can make some 'friendly' suggestions that come to mind, The first thing would be to spend an hour learning layers. I've found that I only need two or three at most to achieve the right look of the painting. They are great for all kinds 'experimenting'. For me, it's what makes ArtRage a bargain. (and we are here to help with any questions!)

About your painting above, I really like the color and the effect. I actually see three really nice paintings. Left to right: The moon over the sea: excellent. I love the impasto effect. The derelict ship is a great use of the stencil. nice touches. The tree on the right with the swirling colors would make a wonderful scene all by itself. (imho)

I'm a bit of a minimalist so you can take my suggestions in that grain. :roll:

Take care. Thank you for posting. I hope to see more soon.
    Paul