ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ArtRage3 some more feature requests

ArtRage3 some more feature requests

Just started with ArtRage2.5 after seeing the price of CorelPainter... I like the look and feel of the program but see still some MAJOR drawbacks which are indispensable (in order of importance):

1) A blender brush type!!! The knife is funny but is not at all usable... This is the main reason I went back to use Painter... A nice new feature related to this would be that when the loading of the brush is set to zero it acts like a blender.

2) Being able to setup a customised brush palette with icons for your own set of favourite brushes and settings which you use for your artwork

3) Customisable keyboard shortcuts (mentioned before)

4) Using shift key to draw straight lines (steps of 45deg) instead of the awkward ruler...

I would be very grateful to know if you think if this is usefull...

AND to see a list of planned features by the developers for the next release and when we could expect them.

Keep the good work going and thanks for making this tool affordable...

Cheers
    Michel

hello michel

Please allow me to comment on those suggestions.

1. I wouldn't call the palette knife unusable at all. It just takes abit of patience to make it do what you want to. It would however be nice to have another way of blending. I agree to that. But not on behalf of the palette knife. It's funny that you ask for a brush that can blend if the loading is set to zero. Well, seems like you haven't tried it for yourself what would happen if you were about to do this in AR2.5

2. Indeed that would be nice.

3. Same here. Would be much appreciated.

4. I see where you are getting. I just don't miss such an option now we have the rulers. Awkward? Not at all. The rulers are the best new addition to AR and really what sets if off from the other painting programs out there. Getting used to those rulers and guides makes it really hard to open up another program to do technical drawings (just an example).

I'm sure the team will show a list of planned features when it's ready. They have done so before, and I see no reason to believe that wouldn't be the case again.

cheers,
    Peter
    Lead Concept Artist - NDS Denmark
    Illustrator
    www.petervillumsen.com

dear peter,

thanks for the comments, I see your points and would like to add something to that

1. Indeed if the loading is set to zero, the brush works as a blender, BUT only if there is some paint that can be blended, meaning it is not fully thinned or previously blended. In other programs you can blend even if this is the case.

4. Even if the ruler works fine, it takes some time before you get it out... press F, select the ruler, drag it to the proper place, etc. Just using a shortcut key for straight lines would be much faster for a simple straight line...

Thanks for commenting and learning me some new tricks :lol: .

Greetz,
    Michel

I have to agree with mtossain.

I'd definitely like to have a proper blending brush.
    And the ruler is a very nice original tool, but as mentioned a simple shift or shortcut key for straight lines ( which works like a dream in PS) would be very much appreciated.
    For leisure painters, alot of the stencils and rulers are really very nice, but for someone who works professionally, where time is money, more quick and easy solutions are needed, like for example a simple line tool/shortcut.
    Also proper blender brushes as well as for specific type brushes ( like bristle, watercolour, oil, riggers (for details), flat and round , etc...) are needed for me to leave Painter and use Artrage only, as I so very much would like to do, as I do love what they have accomplished and love the simple interface.
    Cosmicfxx

Dear friends

Regarding the rulers I think they are much more powerfull than the simple 'hold shift' which only works in 90degrees. This couple with no realtime rotation ability makes AR much more versatile, imo. If your problem is that it takes too long time to get the rulers out, then maybe we could suggest the AR team to include a faster way getting the rulers out? Like a simple hotkey. If you think the workspace tends to get a little clustered with multiple rulers and guides shown, remember that you can hide/unhide all the rulers by hitting F6.

I would also really love to have a broad fan brush blender in AR. And I'm surely hoping that AR team is looking at something like this for v.3. Using the oilbrush for blending is not really an option in AR yet, I think, since you can't save tool presets which would allow you to switch back and forth between the oilbrush for paint and blending. Switching between tool presets is somthing that I really look forward.

let's just say that we are eager to find out what the AR team has in store for us.

cheers,
    Peter
    Illustrator
    www.petervillumsen.com

Hi there

The shift shortcut in PS couldn't possibly be easier in any way.
    With the brush or pencil tool, it's "shift & pen leftclick" at any point a user would want, and then again "shift & pen leftclick" at the end point of which the user would want.
    And there is no limit to any degree . It can be place at any point , at any angle.
    It can't be any simpler than that.

These are all real wishful requests ( incuding the more real variet of real world brushes and blenders) , and yes, really hope that the Artrage team will consider them, but yes, we just have to hope,wait and see what the team brings to us next.

PS. Also the option to be able to save custom brushes and lock layers. ( so no mistakes of working on the wrong layer happens , ... I what tends to happen with me. :? )
    Cosmicfxx

I can understand where some people would like to have a "Line Tool" to make things easier when drawing simple lines. My only concern is that, should this idea be taken into consideration, the old ruler and stencils will be taken out and that is deffinately something I don't want to see happen. A line tool is good for making simple straight lines quickly, but has no real "edge" like the current ruler has. There would be no way to mask an edge when using tools like the airbrush (this is where the ruler is better then say a square stencil, because one can easily extend it's range without increasing it's scale).

The things I'd really like to see changed (or more to the point, "added") is the abillity to set the ruler and stencils oppacity and the option to lock them in place so when one uses the "Alt"+click color picker shortcut to grab a color in the picture it doesn't think you're trying to scale the stencil instead.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Someonesane, those are some good suggestions and I agree with your views. However I'm sure that adding such a feature will not render the ruler and guide tools redundant; They are one of the best features to demonstrate why AR is different.

Cosmicfx, I think I accidently mixed up the snap tool effect (shift-hold) and the shift-click . I also use the shift click feature in ps, but if you have a transparent brush selected and use the shiftclick feature, you will have a line that goes from 0->100% opacity over the length of the line you just did. Sometimes that is what you want, but most times I find it isn't. You have two ways around this:

1. select a brush with no transparcy
    2. repeat the line you just did backwards and forwards a few times.

Looking at this, I must say that the rulers in AR are almost as fast, and way more precise than doing the same line over with a shift-click feature.

well, I'm not really trying to advocat the rulers in AR (even though it sounds so), but I do love the feature tremendously. Still, improvements can be made to the system as many of the suggestions imply.

Cheers,
    Peter
    Illustrator
    www.petervillumsen.com

Hi all

I'm definitely not suggesting that any of the rulers or stencils be done away with, they are really wonderful and original features/tools of Artrage, something a person wouldn't find in any other program.
    The ruler definitely has it's place as a fantastic tool, for example in determining and experimenting with angles and many other various actions which we all use already.

Just an extra option to do line art as with the shift click as in PS, would be a reeeaaal pleasure and extra addition.

Peter, a tip maybe, with PS I created a custom brush without any "shape dynamics" and "other dynamics" in the brush properties unticked. Also the hardness set to maximum hardness.( the amount of hardness is also a personal choice)
    I then saved it as my "brush line tool" ( obviously you could save it as anything you'd like to).
    Then whenever I wish to use shift-click, I select that custom line brush and will have no problem with transparency or anything.

PS.I hope the AR team doesn't mind me mentioning PS, as I have both, but are 2 different type of applications as far as I'm concerned, chalk and cheese.
    Cosmicfxx

Hi CosmicFxx

Thank you for the tip. I use the same method mostly, but find it really lacking that I need to switch to a complete different brush to be sure I can do a nice shift-click line. I would most rather have the AR rulers in Photoshop.. hehe

Cheers,
    Peter
    Illustrator
    www.petervillumsen.com