ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Optimize for print

Optimize for print

Hi,

I'm actually using Artrage for a professional illustration assignment for a children's book, but I need to convert everything to CMYK when I deliver the artwork. Is there a way to get gamut warnings in Artrage? Any way to import a cmyk palette? Bearing in mind that when the paint mixes, it may fall out of range again... A bit stuck with this... Ultimately it would be EXTREMELY useful to have a CMYK colour mode in Artrage, invaluable for pro graphics. Maybe in the next release? Please. Meanwhile if anyone knows a workaround it would be greatly appreciated.

That's something I hadn't thought about... I'm not sure if Artrage can convert to CMYK. I figure you could open the finished piece in another program (like Photoshop) and convert the colors there as a work around.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

ArtRage uses RGB only I'm afraid, there aren't any inbuilt CMYK features.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Any plans for cmyk support in future releases? Also will there be an option to turn the lighting engine off? All my canvases have a very noticeable gradient on them, which means I sometimes have to cut out the background in photoshop first and place the artwork on a "clean" page. Is there a workaround? Maybe artrage wasn't designed ground up for pro users, but it's hands down the best painting app - with a few tweaks pro's would be jumping ship in droves. How about it team? Maybe releasing a (slightly) more expensive version, with less glitter and tubes but more colour and general output control.

You can turn off all the lighting effects by pressing <F5>
    Also, you can make your paper colour transparent, which will just leave lighting applied to your paint strokes, when you export to PNG or PSD.

We're considering colour profile support for a future release of ArtRage.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

cmyk palette, print-safe colours

Gleb puts it all perfectly. This is such a fantastic painting tool, but as expert as the results can look on the screen, those of us creating our art for print need to work within the CMYK gamut from scratch. Is there a pre-loadable CMYK palette ay least? Even if working with those colours produces results outside the CMYK gamut this would still be preferable.

Playing with the iPad toy version on the weekend, I thought perhaps I'd found the ideal tool for painting fun backgrounds for my catalogues selling kids' books.

So today I bought AR Pro. I imported a transparent lowres RGB version of a catalogue spread. All good. Painted a great background behind it. Exported it back to Photoshop. Converted to CMYK. UGH. Nasty. So, used levels, overlays etc etc in Photoshop on the various layers to make it look okay. All to no avail. I redrew the project from scratch in Photoshop.

Did I miss a warning about this in your store promo for the product?

Anyhoo... re: a work around, can somebody suggest a way of keeping my colours at least realtively safe? I don't want to give AR up as I have to say, when I began to paint the background for those pages today I thought my work life was about to get a whole lot more productive and enjoyable.

Thanks!

CMYK isn't appropriate for the paint blending we do, which is why you found problems with the colors when you converted to CMYK in Photoshop. There may be color management options you can use in Photoshop to tilt the conversion more in a direction you want however.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Smile .col files

Thanks, Matt for the reply. Your product's incredible and for the price, really, amazing value. I've downloaded a couple of your older members' .col files (plus a great pencil preset!) and that's been really helpful already. Can't believe some of the amazing work your customers produce...

Margot and Gleb, I'm sort of at the beginning of the process that you seem to already be in full swing with. Can I ask a few questions?

I paint for my own pleasure, but am also involved in children's books- perhaps as a writer/illustrator. I've been printing stuff at home on watercolor paper on my Canon Pro 9000 Mark II and the prints seems to come out fine-- not perfect color, of course, but really quite true to what I'm painting onscreen. Clearly books are being published using some sort of other process??

I'm learning Corel Painter, but find it amazingly cumbersome. So far, Artrage has been my preferred tool for fine art color work, and, as I've got a work flow I'm developing using it, I'd like to keep it that way. What are you using to produce truer CMYK results in Artrage? Why is this important? If one can't use the digital files directly with the way books are printed, could one simply print them on a printer with greater fidelity to RGB and then scan the image at high res, thus getting your final, true-to-color file? Basically, re-creating the final part of the process if I were creating an image with natural media?

Mostly, before I move really far along, I'd like to not create problems for myself if I'm thinking of using these files to create work for children's books. Since I don't know much about the CMYK printing-process part of the subject, I thought I'd ask.

Any more info on this? I tried to PM Margot, but I can't figure out how to do it. I didn't see a button for it on her profile page. Just trying to understand why this is so important, and why it might be important to me in the future-- or whether it needs to be. ????