ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: How can I combine or import full ArtRage files?

Gallery
    View images

How can I combine or import full ArtRage files?

I have several multi-group, multi-layer files I would like to combine into one. How can I do this without exporting and importing one layer at a time?

Also, is there a practical upper limit on ArtRage file size, number of layers, etc.? I'm running Windows XP with 4GB RAM and a fast processor.

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Joe,

There's no way to import multi-layered documents into multi-layered documents in ArtRage. The import function is based around importing image data to a layer.

Regarding number of layers, the limit is based on your physical RAM, the size of the image, the amount of data on each layer ( If your layer has only a small amount of paint on it for example, it doesn't take up much in the way of memory, wheras if it has a lot, it will take up more ). Other than that, there's no limit built into ArtRage
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images

Is there any kind of workaround?

Glad to hear there's no built-in size limit.

On the multi-layer import, though, is there any kind of workaround? For example, converting the file to PS, combining the files there, and converting back or importing to ArtRage?

This is pretty crucial functionality for what I'm using the program to do. If there's no workaround, is there a place for me to formally submit a feature request for future versions?

Thanks so much for your help. And just to say, I think ArtRage is a fabulous program.

Gallery
    View images
    I am not at my artrage right now, so I can't test this.

But from what I remember it should be possible to select a layer in one open artrage programme and copy (CTRL+C). Then go to another open artrage program (two open at a time) and insert (CTRL+V). I think that might work. But I am unsure if you would get the layer properties correct - that is paint thickness / crayon properties etc.

About the export: I simply use File... Export to image in order to 'flatten to one layer' - but I will then have to save as .png file and then import into another painting - and then the paint thickness/crayon properties are lost.

DoodLS

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks so much DoodLS,

This is an adequate workaround, doesn't take so long to transfer a dozen layers or so. And all layer properties are copied and pasted into the new file. I can certainly live with this.

Cheers!

Gallery
    View images
    Yes, just confirmed that the copy method leaves properties intact. Just to clarify: We're talking source material from ArtRage. Don't quite know how it handles PhotoShop copy/paste (as I never got around to buying that particular tool, as ArtRage found my way first).

Only one thing left to comment. One should keep canvas pixelsize the same for source and destination - to avoid repositioning layers all the time. This, I beleive, can be obtained using from the Edit menu; Resize the canvas.

Happy,
    DoodLS