ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: General question about masking

General question about masking

Hi ArtRage users and makers!

I just wanted to ask some questions about ArtRage. Please excuse my bad
    English - I am not a native English speaker.

I just downloaded the free ArtRage version for testing, but it offers only a few amount of functions.
    And of course the ones which I wanted to test are only available in the paid version,
    not to mention that the free trial version crashes under my WinXP,
    when I click around in the ruler section.

So I read the manual. But I came to no definite conclusion, if what I want to do is possible.
    I read that ArtRage tries to imitate real life painting as close as possible.

In real life I am mostly airbrushing. I cover the whole paper sheet with a
    lightly adhesive synthetical masking film and cut out the areas on which I airbrush.
    After the paint is dry I put the mask film back to the area and cut
    out the next area for further airbrushing.
    The tricky part at airbrushing is, not to change spraying direction when you
    are on top of unmasked areas because then you get some nasty fat color
    saturation spots there and your gradients are ruined.

So can anybody tell me if it is possible to work in ArtRage as I described
    it above? Or if it is possible to mask the whole image and unmask only
    the parts on which you are working on? Other painting software provide
    tools like lasso, wand, etc. to select working areas. But I did not see anything like that in ArtRage.

Regards.
    Kunst muss nicht immer kompliziert sein!

There are a couple of ways to add the masking you want to ArtRage 2.5 Full edition.
    The easiest way would be to create a new layer, paint using any of the tools the area you want to mask. Then from the layer menu you can select 'Make a stencil from this layer'. A new mask is created, with holes wherever there was paint on your layer. Delete the layer you used to paint on.
    If you want, you can invert the stencil by right-clicking on it and selecting 'Invert Stencil'. Then the mask will have solid bits where you were painting, and holes where there were holes in the layer.

If you want it to act sorta like a Photoshop quickmask, make your layer about 30% opaque, and paint with red paint!

You can also work backward - use the paint-roller to fill your layer with paint, then use the eraser to make the holes for your mask. Create a stencil from layer, then invert it to match your layer. Delete (or hide) your masking layer.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

I forgot to add...
    You can combine stencils to get different effects:

After you've created your mask from the layer, you can load one of the gradient stencils and put that overtop. Then as you airbrush over the two masks, the gradient mask will affect the overall amount of paint you're adding, while the layer mask gives you your edges.

In the example image I've used the flower stencil to give me my hard edges, and overlaid a scaled, rotated gradient stencil to give me the soft transition. There is no limit to the number of stencils you can overlay for different effects. Then I airbrushed over the two stencils to get the soft flower gradient.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Thank you for the quick answer

Then I think it is time to transfer a little bit of money to my Paypal-Account. ;-)

Regards.
    Kunst muss nicht immer kompliziert sein!