Thread: Layer painting and Stencil Transparency

Gallery
    View images

Layer painting and Stencil Transparency

Hi,

I bought ArtRage a few months back and have been having some fun getting used to it and the drawing tablet I bought. I love being able to practice my sketching without wasting tons of paper, lol.

Anyway, while I was playing around I ran into situations where I found myself thinking, "I wish ArtRage allowed you to..." and figured I'd post about it.

So the first wish would be about how layers worked. I love that I can use the layers to build upon a painting. You can paint your background, then use a layer above it to paint in other aspects without the worries of messing up the background. The problem is, the paint added to the new layer works independently of the other layers altogether. It would be great if there was a setting for layers that would allow them to pull the colors of the layer/s beneath up into the layer one is currently using. This way one could move the paint around and blend everything as if they were painting on the other layer, but without fear of ruining what was already there. It would also be nice to be able to select multiple layers at a time in order to merge them all at once, instead of one at a time.

The other thing I find myself wishing for is the ability to change the opacity of the rulers and stencils. I love the way they currently work, but have trouble seeing how things are going beneath them while I use them. If there were a way to change the opacity they would be perfect in my opinion. I realize there is a way to hide/show them, but I need to be able to see through them a bit better while I'm making a stroke sometimes.

So that's it for now. Again, I'm having a ton of fun with the program, so great job ArtRage team! Thanks for reading. 8)
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    For the select multiple layers thing you can use groups, by doing that you can also structure you layers if you have many by collapsing some groups. You can also transform the contents of the whole group via the group menu which includes also a merge all function
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks for pointing that out Stalky. I have actually been using groups for certain things, but having everything in groups isn't always an option for me. Since I don't want to merge everything in the groups, I'd still have to select each layer that I didn't want merged and either pull them out of the group one at a time or pull others into a group one at a time. It's be much easier to highlight those layers I wished to merge and then click a button to do so.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    You got a point there.

Bought ArtRage 2 days ago, after using the free version for sometime, really enliven my childhood times. Someonesane, i wish i can see that feature on the next release of ArtRage, stencil transparency, maybe a slider on the edge of the stencil with some buttons for options, like "tiled across the screen", "convert to seamless" and some handles to rotate or move the stencil without pressing additional keyboard modifier, that way the user can drag the red stencil box aside, and paint on the transparent stencil on the rest of the canvas and can see what happen with the strokes applied under the stencil, i hope this is not too much for the ArtRage team to implement it, Great program.

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    The other thing I find myself wishing for is the ability to change the opacity of the rulers and stencils. I love the way they currently work, but have trouble seeing how things are going beneath them while I use them. If there were a way to change the opacity they would be perfect in my opinion. I realize there is a way to hide/show them, but I need to be able to see through them a bit better while I'm making a stroke sometimes.
    Yeah, that. I used a stencil for the first time today (a partially transparent texture) and whilst the results were good I couldn't actually see what I was doing. It would be good if we could have a toggle to switch between the current mode and "transparent mode", where it just shows the boundaries but painting on the stencil has the same effect.