ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dusk and Thunder (critique wanted)

Dusk and Thunder (critique wanted)

Hello everyone.

I just started using artrage (the free version), and want to see if I can get any constructive critique on my first two paintings.

Thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thunder_165.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	13381   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dusk_153.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	13382  

I love the first one! ^_^
    The only critisism I can think of is that the background in the middle of the image is a bit bland compared to the ground and to the darkly menacing sky above the rift/cloud thingie.
    I really love the light being cast on the ground and the way the shadows radiate out from the lightning.

The other image doesn't really grab me as much, but I really like the colourscheme. The only gripe I have with this one is the dark area on the middle of the ground. I think that the left edge of that image is a bit too "square", specially considering the lack of similiar edges in the rest of the painting.

That being said: Both are very well done. You have a flair for using bold colours, and I like it. ^_^

Hi Mordred and welcome to the forums.
    I saw your thread on the Something Awful forums. Thanks for that! We have a marketting budget of, oh, somewhere around nil, so we definitely appreciate all the word-of-mouth promotion of ArtRage we can get.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

@ Gormash

Thank you for the constructive critique. I think you are right about part of the second painting being too "square". That kinda annoyed me as well.

I have a very easy time making a background/sky/clouds I really like, but from then on I don't know what to put in the picture. Sure, I have ideas, but they are often too complicated for me to dare risking destroying the painting by a lousy attempt at a farm/rock/river/whatever.

@AndyRage.

Hehe, you're welcome.

@Everyone else: I still need/want critque. If anyone has anything to say.

Then I highly recommend shelling out $25 for the full version as this'll give you layers to play with.
    That way you could simply add another layer and try out your ideas, and if you didn't like it: Delete the layer and start over again. Simple as pie, and you get to keep the parts you're pleased with. ^_^

I might just go ahead and do that. It was payday yesterday after all

How exactly do layers work?

Welcome and an incisive start!
    I would only suggest to possibly try also to use more sheet grains on the different elements, some more blending transition and some dominant tone appearing all over the painting to either enhance the complementary ones and/ or to harmonise the overall palette.
    I'm sure You'll soon get acquantaited to the main possibilities given by AR and You'll improve significantly from a technical standpoint considering such a talented start! :wink:
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Quote Originally Posted by Mordred
    How exactly do layers work?
    The layers in ArtRage work much the same as layers in Photoshop.
    If you haven't used layers in a digital painting application before...
    Image you paint a background. Overtop of that you place a piece of transparent plastic, on which you paint your mid-ground. Overtop of that you place another piece of transparent plastic on which you paint your foreground... That is how layers work. You can hide individual layers, make layers more or less transparenty, you can change the way layers blend with the layers beneath (imagine a layer that just lightens the paint colour beneath, or just darkens it for shadows, without changing the underlying colour).
    You can name layers, group them together so you can hide them or move them all together at once. (Imagine you've used one layer for your tree, another layer for your bird, and another layer for your nest - move them all to the left a bit, or a bit smaller, or duplicate them all at once)

Layers are a means to paint overtop of other detail, but without committing them to being part of the detail. The give much more flexibility in experimentation and correcting things as you go.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Hi Mordred and welcome..................no criticism of your paintings from me.............just keep painting and surprise yourself.......I did just that and buying the full version was money well spent! Do it, you won't regret it!
    Da go Te'
    Best to you

Peter............
    Have a listen to or buy my music : http://www.reverbnation.com/playlist...artist_3522106
    and the Aubrey Small website:http://www.aubreysmall.com/
    My Facebook page:https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010972992278

@ Caesar and Peter.

Thank you for the welcome

@ AnyRage

Wow, thank you for the very detailed description. I might just go home and buy the full version today... layers sound like fun. Oh, and a little like cheating :P