Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A critique of the ArtRage shortcuts usability & consiste

Gallery
    View images

A critique of the ArtRage shortcuts usability & consiste

Hello!

I just got a Macbook Pro and I downloaded a couple of graphic softwares to try with my Wacom Intuos board.

I was suprised that ArtRage didn't really work that well with the Intuos3. The default keys for the shortcut keypad is cmd, shift, opt and space, but only opt corresponds to an ArtRage shortcut (the dropper). Since these defaults are pretty useful (space is move in every other graphical application) I don't wish to remap them to R and M just for ArtRage (though I must confess that I usually remap the cmd key to cmd + z for a quick undo instead).

And even if I should remap the shortcuts to R and M, I don't think it would work since somehow, the rotate and move shortcuts seem like a permanent switch, while the dropper shortcut is only active while the key is held down (as it should be, imo).

My suggestion would be to add move functionality to space and rotate functionality to shift, since these doesn't seem to be mapped to anything anyway, and then also make them only active while the key is held down. This would enable ArtRage to work better with the Intuos3 while not conflicting with the already availible shortcuts.

Finally, the touch strip doesn't zoom in ArtRage as you'd expect, but I guess that's simply because it isn't implemented yet.

Thanks!
    Art should tell a story, don't paint a moment, paint a lifetime.

Gallery
    View images
    I forgot to add that the reset of the rotation isn't very intuitive either. Normally, in other applications you double click or right click to reset the rotation (while holding down the rotate modifier key) but here, I had to look it up in the manual only to find yet another shortcut key which fixed the problem.

Not an optimal solution, imo.

Gallery
    View images
    Don't know about Mac's, but in windows,you can program the intuos 3 buttons.They can be set to an individual program,as well as for all programs
    Just say: "Rage It", because we already know it's art.

My ArtRage 3 and 4 Gallery------My Site ------- BROWSE MY BOOK

Gallery
    View images
    Please take time to read my post carefully, thank you!

I don't think you can assign shortcuts per application using the Wacom settings even in Windows...

Gallery
    View images
    no problem.... :roll:
    Just say: "Rage It", because we already know it's art.

My ArtRage 3 and 4 Gallery------My Site ------- BROWSE MY BOOK

Gallery
    View images

RTM

Page 45 of the Intuos Manual.
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks for the suggestions and feedback eobet, much appreciated!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    im pretty sure you can set shortcuts pr. application in windows. I havent tried it myself but looking at the wacom properties window it would seem it is indeed possible.

But on a side note, I believe that it would be really nice if you could set hotkeys as you would like them to be instead of having to go with how the devlopers (in this case you guys) seem it best.

My favourite example is Wings3d (Freeware modelling software) which lets you alter any shortcut for anycommand on the fly. simply hover the mouse pointer over a menu point and hit <insert> and then the keyboard combination you want for that particular task. Easy, flexible and elegant.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images
    Thank you for the tip regarding how to add application specific settings! I did it, but my post is still valid since ArtRage doesn't revert to the previous brush once you have finished rotating.

You are stuck with the rotate/move tool until you select another tool.

Gallery
    View images
    I think you can set one of your buttons to "right click" to move the canvas while it's held down. When released it goes back to whatever tool you were using.

I set one of my pen buttons to the Watcom modifier Alt Click. This acts as the color selector when held down, then automatically goes back to the previous tool when released.

My other pen button is programmed to "Undo"....lol.