Thread: Here's how ArtRage Rulers work in my little imaginary world

Gallery
    View images

Here's how ArtRage Rulers work in my little imaginary world

First off, I love AR2.5x in general, and I really love the stencils and guides, or at least the potential they represent. Thank you so much for continuing to come up with new and innovative ways to recreate the true artist's experience, in a focused, streamlined package.

I'm really still just discovering all the great things you can do with rulers once you get comfortable with them, but I can't help but feel they've got a some accessibility problems for really quick operations. And yet I do feel they're the best solution for AR in keeping it's identity, as I don't want AR drawing any lines *for*me, and taking me out of the equation.

Here's the ideal way they function in my head for quick , intuitive operations, in my little imaginary world. Bear in mind, I can't set my digital alarm clock, let alone program an innovative application like Artrage...and also, in my imaginary perfect world, people age backwards and I can fly...so take this all for what it's worth.

With any drawing/paint tool selected (no separate menus, no separate tools)...

Press and hold down a single key. We'll call it "SHIFT" for the purpose of this example. It brings up the ruler function.

It starts a new ruler, with the pivot point (stickpin) placed at the point of contact when you first pressed shift. This way, the edge of the ruler is draw precisely between where you start and where you end up. While holding Shift down, drag out the ruler...

...to any desired length and rotation.

While holding shift, right mouse(pen)click to flip the ruler on its axis to allow for a different approach angle for the stroke.

When you reach your desired target, release SHIFT. The ruler instance then "drops", and operates as the rulers do now, and can be further altered or repositioned manually if desired.

If you press SHIFT again, that ruler disappears and you start drawing out a new one from the point of contact. If you press SHIFT and a modifier, say SHIFT+CTRL, a new ruler instance in *addition* to the existing one is drawn out , as many times as you'd like. If you Shift-Click the existing ruler itself, it disappears.

Rulers can be "one touch" deleted by pressing Backspace, or some such key while the cursor is over them. They can also be "locked" as well as hidden.

Rulers can have their opacity adjusted via slider to make seeing the image underneath much easier.

IMPORTANT: When a stroke is made along the edge of the ruler, the cursor intuitively hugs the side of the ruler like the stroke does, so accurate visual feedback on the progress of the stroke is provided to the user. They currently involve too much guesswork for comfort, as the cursor can separate from the point of the stroke.

One motion to draw and position the ruler exactly where you need it, from any start point, with any pen tool...and one motion to stroke along the edge. In this way, casual straight edge operations can be quickly and painlessly executed, without actually removing the "human filter" from the operation.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go cruising around in my shiny flying car with a bunch of supermodels. Thanks for the great program!

Gallery
    View images
    In my imaginary world (eg: ArtRage 3 proposed feature list...)
    The auto-ruler would work almost exactly as you describe with some minor changes....
    The pin would be on the Zero mark of the ruler, and the drag point would be on the last marked increment so you could also use it to accurately measure distances while you're creating the line.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRage
    In my imaginary world (eg: ArtRage 3 proposed feature list...)
    The auto-ruler would work almost exactly as you describe with some minor changes....
    The pin would be on the Zero mark of the ruler, and the drag point would be on the last marked increment so you could also use it to accurately measure distances while you're creating the line.
    Hey wait, that's even better than my perfect little imaginary world. I'm firing the person who writes this world for me!

Gallery
    View images
    How about this...does *your* little perfect imaginary world have a "T-Square Mode" for the rulers, where a "crossbar" can be toggled on or off, to assist me in drawing out my Golden Mean sections? Because mine does!

The two emaciated gerbils that run things inside my brain saved their jobs with that one.

Gallery
    View images
    That was in DaveRage's imaginary world - he suggested it at a meeting on Friday here.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRage
    That was in DaveRage's imaginary world - he suggested it at a meeting on Friday here.
    Fine. If you are going to keep trumping me, Im going to just go ahead and let you guys design your own program.

Seriously though, I love the new functionality. Being able to "pin" rulers off page on multiple vanishing points to refer back to as I compose an image is completely great. And they rotate with the dynamic canvas!

Gallery
    View images
    In my imaginary little world, after placing the ruler between two points in the manner excellently described above, I could then specify the length (in inches, mm, etc) represented by distance between the points by dragging the scale of the ruler (not the ruler itself) to align a measurement.

In this way I could declare distance on the screen to represent a certain measurement and have the ruler's scale coincide.

This would release the ruler from its relationship to the canvas dimensions and make it more useful to me.
    Registered

Gallery
    View images
    There may be a way to do what you describe with the measurement, but currently the ruler represents the precise pixels and the physical print dimensions of the lines based on document resolution and units, so there's a reason for it being as it is.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattRage
    There may be a way to do what you describe with the measurement, but currently the ruler represents the precise pixels and the physical print dimensions of the lines based on document resolution and units, so there's a reason for it being as it is.
    True that. I am asking to over-ride the default ruler. An ability to define arbitrary division intervals in the ruler might suffice.

Though my suggestion is "distance by example", the actual ArtRage interface to the ruler scale definition is less important than the ability to change the spacing between the tick marks...

I love ArtRage. Some of us may be bending it toward uses beyond your original expectations.
    Registered