ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: My first steps

My first steps

Hi,
    these are my first steps with ArtRage.

Tips or Tricks would be nice.

Greetings,
    Harlequin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pilz_189.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	13252   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fly_133.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	13253  
    Wacom Bamboo Fun Small

Hahah. Very funny fly.

Wonderfully anthropomorphic magical characters. Lots of personality!

No critique other than just keep painting and you will keep expanding your handle on making such creatures. Just simple evolution stuff.

What you have going for you is the spark of life. Everything else will form up around that.

I would recommend that you try drawing them in different poses, different angles, and different expressions. You will learn a lot from that kind of thing. It will show you what parts need to match in scale and placement. And that info will give you things to consider in designing characters.

Oh, and look at what other people have done. And steal the sensibilities that you like.

Very nice drawings and color too. I especially like the pilz.jpg. They both are so cute.

Thanks for the nice post D Akey and Pai.

Here is a trace experiment from me.
    The first picture is the original.

For those who are interested in rock/alternative music: the girl was the lead singer of the german band "Guano Apes".

Greetings,
    Harlequin

Name:	sandra2_192.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	13257  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Wacom Bamboo Fun Small

Looking at Your first steps it seems You'll go far away! Welcome!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Looking at Your first steps it seems You'll go far away! Welcome!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Amazing work. I love your illustrative style. These are very good.

Thanks for your comments...
    I´m goingt to post the new stuff as soon as it´s finished.

Greetings
    Harlequin
    Wacom Bamboo Fun Small

Here is the second picture of the fly.

Greetings,
    Harlequin

Name:	fly2_574.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	13367  
    Wacom Bamboo Fun Small

Great! Hahah. He looks as silly from the side as from the front! I think he's a pip. I can even practically hear some voice possibilities to choose from for this look -- everything from high and buzzy to dignified like an English butler or if it's a girl, she would probably have the most annoying voice in history. Hahah.

One of the things to explore and practice when doing characters is to get a handle on maintaining relationships of proportions and so on. And because it is usually very important to continuity if you are doing a comic book or animation, there are tricks to doing this.

One of the things that is used is a very dry character sheet. It establishes a formula for the proportions and so on so that anyone can reproduce the character. Even some pros have trouble with staying 'on model'. So if you can do it, you will likely have work in the industry for as long as you want.

This is for getting everybody on the team drawing the same way and that includes production people across the planet you are going to be directing at some point down the road.

So for reference only. Like I said, this is a little dry though challenging. But once you get this down, you will then be able to have the character act.

And this is what I was talking about playing with. But don't stop actually playing with your characters act and pose and do all the wild stuff you can think off -- for your enjoyment. The rest is just to know about this.

http://animation.about.com/od/otheru...actersheet.htm

Very very fun character.