PDA

View Full Version : KIngsMill...WIP

jacktar51
01-21-2008, 06:18 AM
Thought I would do a bigger picture....2048 wide, only trouble is I get going into details that are going to be lost when reducing down for posting.... I am always doing that, but I have been looking back through NICK HARRIS artwork, and he inspires me to have a go at bigger things, I hardly ever do work in progress so this is very rare, its the start of something BIG....(I might never finish it)....... Jack.

RobertSWade
01-21-2008, 06:55 AM
I heartily applaud this move of yours Jack because I strongly feel there is a market for your work as printed medium. It's also interesting to have some insight into your work process. :)

Caesar
01-21-2008, 10:04 AM
Very promising start and a unique lesson of Your creative process to us! :D :D

jacktar51
01-21-2008, 11:11 AM
Bob and Ceasar..... Thanks for that... I wasnt expecting anyone to have even looked in here yet, so I was pleased to see your two names on there....heres a bit more added, so you can see how its going....I dont generally do bigger stuff, but it was a little challenge I set myself, anyway, the progression....

jacktar51
01-21-2008, 11:50 PM
heres how its going so far.... didnt like the posts by the wheel, I will do something different there,.... I have put more colour in done the grass and the water wheel and a few other bits and bobs, Oh, I did some contrast and colour alterations in PhotoFiltre, but the drawing is all Artrage.......Jack.

D Akey
01-22-2008, 04:11 AM
Great detail Jack!

Careful of those eaves. They're looking like a different palette than your golden glow that you have keyed the whole painting to. The white looks cold in this context. Might simply tint them a little golden too.

Your paintings speak to me of a bygone era even though there's a power boat. This mood of yours is fantastic. I feel I've just arrived on that modern boat to this idyllic old setting, where there is going to be some merriment this evening. . . like the curtain rises on this scene and the story begins.

My mind goes to the story being an adventure in time. Like the river is like a timeline, and we traveled up the river back in time.

I could see the people in such a place being used to such travelers, like a place where old world trade routes crossed showing bits from the various groups from different lands that come there to trade. And I'm eager to discover all about this place that has a very different reality and notion of the fixed direction of flow to the river of time.

:D :D :D

jacktar51
01-22-2008, 09:29 AM
The Whole thing just looked all wrong... toooo much sky the mill wrong shaped.... decided to crop and extend widthwise to make it a panoramic thing again... it looks more balanced, and that sky was horrible, I have done a lot of smoothing to try and get rid of the sky GRAIN....cant stand sky GRAIN....since when were skies GRAINY????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anyway since this thing is going very close to the bin at the moment, thought I had better post it on here and let you air you views... I do agree with you Mr D Akey, about those Eaves, you are right, but thats the least of my worries with this one at the mo......I will wait to see what you and the others think about this now???....... Jack.

jacktar51
01-22-2008, 09:43 AM
The Trouble is.... when I am working at big sizes,and lots of detail.... reducing down to 800 from nearly 3000 pixels just looses it all... I mean there are bottle glass windows in that centre part, but you cant see it... and there are springs on the cart axle, but you cant see it, that man is carrying a bucket and a stick....you can just about see that?.....This has always bugged me and stops me from doing detailed stuff because I know its work out of the window, waste of time, nobody will see it except for me when I do it, and we do our work to please others and to entertain them, as well as it giving us something to do, and stop us becoming bored, might as well stick to 800 pixels from the start...Or am I missing something here????.... Jack.

jacktar51
01-22-2008, 09:48 AM
The last one is best viewed at 150 x magnification to fit your screen, but the loss of detail spoils it really.... <Jack.

jacktar51
01-22-2008, 12:40 PM
Oh... I found this bit I was going to put in because it shows some of the detail.... this is the centre downstairs part of the house, if you look closely you can see the bottle glass window panes....Jack.

D Akey
01-22-2008, 01:35 PM
Wow! I love it Jack, whether everything is perfect or not.

I really like the feel of it.

And from the close-up I think I recognize this as the exterior you did of the Benbow Inn interior over a year back. Now it REALLY has a nostalgic feel because it does come from our shared past.

:D :D :D

ENCHANTER
01-23-2008, 10:13 AM
wow what detail.......the textured walls of the house and the beautiful compostion

it is a gorgeous picture :D :D

RobertSWade
01-23-2008, 11:02 AM
The loss of detail is an unfortunate effect of the size limitations here but think how wonderful this will be when printed as a 30" giclee. :)

pai
01-24-2008, 12:13 AM
Wow!! That's amazing and so detailed. Thanks for sharing your WIP, Jack. :D

Rowena
01-29-2008, 01:13 AM
Wow Jack this is lovely work! You really seem to be honing in on perfecting your own unique style. The mill house landscape is a classic.