PDA

View Full Version : Exporting from AR to image file.

barnburner
12-12-2007, 07:47 AM
Probably just about everybody on here already knows this, but for newbies like me, perhaps this will be of some benefit.

I found that sometimes when I export from AR to an image file, I get some unwanted (for lack of a better word) rough edges where there is a definite color change.

What has worked for me the last few times I've tried it, is to just right click on the painting in AR, so that you get a full screen view, then do a screen capture by hitting "print screen" (not sure how Mac users would do the same).
Then open up the graphics program of your choice, paste, and you should have a clean image.

Hope this helps someone.

AndyRage
12-12-2007, 11:08 AM
Hi Barnburner,
You definitely shouldn't be getting rough different-coloured edges when you export to an image from ArtRage.
Are you exporting a single layer, or exporting the entire painting (from the 'File' menu)?

barnburner
12-12-2007, 11:47 AM
Exporting the entire painting from the file menu.

I'm not sure I described the effect properly. Maybe "noise" or "some sort of shadow" would be a better description than "rough edged".

Mainly it will show up where there is a very distinct difference, as in around tree branches, where mountain tops meet sky, etc..

It will be fine in AR, but when I use the file command to export to image, I sometimes have to use the clone tool of a graphics program to clean it up.
But, the good news is that so far at least, the workaround I explained seems to have taken care of it.

AndyRage
12-12-2007, 11:53 AM
Ah, it's probably JPG artifacts.
We use quite a high compression when exporting as JPG images, to make it easier to post on the web. But that can leave 'blocky' artifacts around high-contrast areas.
Try exporting from ArtRage as a PNG instead - it should give a much better-quality image. But you'll still need to convert it to JPG in another application if you want to post it to the forum here.

barnburner
12-12-2007, 01:35 PM
I'll give png a try. thanks.