PDA

View Full Version : sketch overload

Boxy
12-08-2007, 06:49 AM
Lol
This started off as a few pencil guidelines for a concept painting but I got so into it the sketching went mad! I decided the best way to motivate myself to keep on drawing was come up with a game idea and then appoint myself the concept artist. Obviously I have a very tolerant boss who is willing to give me space and time to learn hehe.
Thanks for looking.

http://www.savbox.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/posts/blacksmith.jpg

pai
12-08-2007, 08:46 PM
I love this sketching so many things to see and your boss is nice. :)

Boxy
12-08-2007, 11:00 PM
Thank you very much for the encouragement Pai. Always feel like I have a long way to go but yes I am lucky, not many people can say this about their boss!
Boxy

screenpainter
12-09-2007, 01:05 AM
That is some very good sketching! Is that a Citation on blocks?
Your sketches are very good.
Beautiful drawing!!!

Boxy
12-09-2007, 02:16 AM
Ha. Thanks a lot gzairborne. Well I can honestly say if you see any kind of story in my sketch then it was a sketch worth doing :)
BTW does anyone know how I get the board to display a whole image? At the moment it has a horizontal scroll bar and only displays the left 2/3 which is not ideal.
Cheers
Boxy

FurrTrap
12-09-2007, 03:31 AM
Strong form on the main figure, the blacksmith's upper body, neck/head. All very strong and also an interesting expression on the face. Well done! Your boss is wise to let you roam :)

Boxy
12-09-2007, 06:37 AM
Thanks Furrtrap, much appreciated. :)
Boxy

D Akey
12-09-2007, 09:08 AM
Now there's a juxtaposition, hahah.

I spy a mechanical horse that needs shoeing. Yet the blacksmith's making arms. I suspect there's either:

1) a battle afoot in the world of The Society for Creative Anachronisms

2) the world in which we live has lost our knowledge of technology and this surviving blacksmith has been beating plowshares (and auto parts) into swords.

3) this is a world in which there is time slippage where things of the past and present exist at the same time in the same place. A lot of alternative reality novels in the last decade or so have played with this sort of idea.

Wonderful drawing. :D :D :D

Boxy
12-09-2007, 09:57 AM
3) this is a world in which there is time slippage where things of the past and present exist at the same time in the same place. A lot of alternative reality novels in the last decade or so have played with this sort of idea.

Almost right, its the future :)
Here's a quick overview of the story I'm designing to:

The year is 3890. Global warming has well and truly kicked in creating widespread lowland flood plains the world over. In Britain the problem is exacerbated by glacio-isostacy, a consequence of the last ice age when 3km high ice sheets melted causing Northern uplift. Millions have drowned, starved or died of long forgotten diseases as society based around central government utterly collapses. For the survivors, high ground becomes more valuable than gold dust and in Britain, the Scottish highlands are among the most prized of all.
The world's remaining populations have no choice but to revert to smaller tribes which scavenge, hunt and fiercely defend their already meager resources. In Scotland this means a return to the ways of the Clan.

The Blacksmith is pivotal because everything made from metal is recycled junk including the weapons, hence the huge piles of scrap in the background.
If you're interested below are some other concepts, all of which have varying degrees of ArtRage, Photoshop Painter Essentials 4 and Cinema4D.

Thanks for looking
Boxy

http://www.savbox.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/posts/clan/ClanWarrior3_3.jpg

http://www.savbox.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/posts/clan/LochMonsters1_2.jpg

http://www.savbox.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/posts/clan/Urisks1.jpg

http://www.savbox.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/posts/clan/SmallIsle3_3.jpg

D Akey
12-09-2007, 10:42 AM
How cool is that!!!!!!!!!

Wow. Great visualizations.

Keep going. This is awesome.

Hooray!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :D :D :D :D

pai
12-09-2007, 12:23 PM
WOW!! Stunning and professional pieces you've here. I really like the last one and it's color....so dreamy and soothing. And those characters you created are awesome. :)

RobertSWade
12-09-2007, 01:09 PM
Impressive stuff Boxy. Makes me want to play the game. :)

Boxy
12-10-2007, 03:49 AM
Thank you for all your encouraging comments! I have to say it is a great way to motivate me to create stuff I otherwise never would have, but Robert hopefully you won't have to wait too long to play the game for real. I have a 3D engine in place which is the hardest bit out of the way, just need to hook up with a couple of other people now and put some serious work in :)
Cheers
Boxy

screenpainter
02-06-2008, 06:40 PM
Absolutely stunning work. Brilliant. :D

Caesar
02-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Great illustrations and a rich, neat style! A brilliant and credible world indeed! :D :D :D
Did You use ArtRage only for these masterpieces? :?:

Boxy
02-06-2008, 10:15 PM
Thanks again :)
These are a combination between ArtRage, Photoshop and Painter Essentials (and in the case of the island, bits of overlaid photo!). I nearly always start in Artrage because I find its pencil is far closer to reality than the others. I stay there as long as I can before needing stuff like the liquify tool and colour adjustments, but I guess I only need them because of bad decisions made earlier hehe.
Cheers for looking.
Boxy

Rowena
02-07-2008, 09:16 AM
F
A
B
U
L
O
U
S !!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Boxy
02-08-2008, 12:07 AM
Thank you Rowena :D
Boxy

Nickillus
02-08-2008, 04:01 AM
Love the visualisations Boxy. Great variety and scope in them. Very well handled indeed. More to come I hope . . . .

BTW - did anyone answer your how to have the whole image display? My guess is that it relates to the recommendation that the largest dimension of the uploaded file be 800px to fit in the window. Bigger ones usually seem to display as a paperclip attachment thing that you click to view. Maybe yours are just slightly too big for the window, but not quite large enough to need a paperclip?? I know nothing, but that's my guess.

Boxy
02-08-2008, 04:59 AM
Thanks Nickillus, I'm a big big fan of your work so that made my day :) I'm sure there will be many more to come and I hope they get better each time.
I never did suss the image display thing, I started posting at 600px to solve it.
Cheers
Boxy

The Skeptical Artist
02-14-2008, 07:14 AM
Great work Boxy. Look forward to seeing where you go with this.

Boxy
02-14-2008, 10:58 PM
Thanks TSA :) Please feel free to sign up for the rss feeds at egghedz.blogspot.com for 'fairly' regular updates on progress. Its quite slow at the moment, just doing a lot of software learning :)
Thanks
Boxy

Dany51
02-22-2008, 05:02 AM
Boxy, something of your drawing remembers me an illustrated book :
Jules Verne's L' île mistérieuse, is wonderful what you are painting.

Boxy
02-24-2008, 10:26 AM
High praise indeed!

http://jv.gilead.org.il/rpaul/L%E2%80%99%C3%8Ele%20myst%C3%A9rieuse/

Thank you Danny for prompting me to find these, they will be an inspiration
Boxy

ubuntu
03-08-2008, 01:56 AM
Maybe this wasn't your intent but I really like the mix between setting. Medieval-present tense pretty cool.

Boxy
03-08-2008, 03:17 AM
Thanks, kind of :) I want to explore what it would be like in the future if all comforts and consumer posessions are stripped down pretty much to things you need for survival. That does suggest medieval but people would still have a lot more knowledge. I guess some folk call it steampunk, but with steampunk, society has already found a way to utilise hi tech machinery with the resources at hand. I'd like this to be set in a time where once rich societies are still trying to adjust to an everyday life where nothing can be taken for granted, especially not life :)
Thanks for the interest
Boxy

Maxx
03-08-2008, 06:07 AM
very nice indeed. I love the last screenshot of the environment. Kind of a game geek and secretly ive always wanted to work for a studio that produces games.

Alas im not good enough to be a concept artis, nor good enough to be a 3d modeller. I can however make sites :wink: im pretty good with flash. So if you ever need someone :P

ubuntu
03-08-2008, 06:49 AM
maxx, you can be though. do you realize that concept artist are always in demand? many people dont have the patience to master art. But the ones that do always have a job. all of my friends that studied art till their eyes bled are highly successful. some are in the fashion industry some videogames. also some work for movie companies. in other words draw your ass off.

Boxy
03-14-2008, 01:24 AM
I am not a concept artist either, nor am I particularly technically competent. When you see the quality of work in ImagineFX it is daunting, but hey, it is still worth ploughing on with. I'm betting that if we all sketched and painted for hours on end every day then we'd soon develop a style which is just as valid as any. I specifically make a point of posting this stuff because it seems to help the process of finding time to make the effort - even though I know a lot of it could be loads better. The good thing about that is (hopefully!!) I can look back over the body of work in a couple of years and see the improvement.
Anyway with that in mind, here is another imperfect step to perfection :) Just a quick sketch all done in Artrage.
I'm kind of enjoying the simplicity of Rapidweaver for websites at the mo. It just means I can quickly update the content without having to worry about learning all the web based stuff, but thanks for the offer, at some stage I might want to look at doing the image presentation differently...
Cheers
Boxy

http://www.savbox.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/posts/WildBoar.jpg

D Akey
03-14-2008, 02:39 AM
What nonsense is that?

This is brilliant!!!!!!!!

I see it very clearly and I like it a lot. Concept artists, it is true, tend to be quick. But that comes from the demands of the job. If no such time constraints are on you, then you may not develop in that way. But as for the end result -- I would not make negative comparisons.

And don't minimize the value of YOU as part of the team. How you interact with the others is critical to your value, sometimes more than the most brilliant sketch artist is capable of, if they're difficult to work with, outside the budget, etc.

And also not everybody needs or wants to pay for perfect paintings. Some want you to be flexible and help them visualize as a starting point, not as an endpoint necessarily, even though you could deliver on that end as well. But if it's to end up in some other medium, the polish is moot. Some creators who hire artists in fact don't want the sketches to be fully realized because they want to let other people's creativity not be constrained by a highly finished starting point.

But this is really good.

In fact, this rocks! And the only bore here is spelled boar -- definitely not a bore in the least.

You did a pro job.

Boxy
03-14-2008, 04:58 AM
Lol thanks D Akey, very inspiring words. You are right it is silly to think like that. Actually I love doing this much much more than my regular ad work where I'm usually given all the info and layout sketches beforehand by creative directors who know exactly what they want, often quite literally down to the millimetre! Now if only I can find someone to pay me to do it, life would be perfect :D
Cheers
Boxy