PDA

View Full Version : Knighting Goofy

gileadis
12-02-2007, 07:27 AM
I spent lotsa time on this one, using an old Creation Station tablet that doesn't do pressure :( I did it all in ArtRage (love the new rulers) except for some color adjustments in Photoshop--the ducks were a touch too bright. The actual painting is 4,500 x 5,200 pixels big, and I'm happy to report that while it takes a long time to open and save, ArtRage was able to handle it just fine.

It's based on the often-postered "Accolade" by Edmund Blair Leighton. If you want to see it do a search for "Edmund Blair Leighton" on wikipedia. I'd link to it but I'm not allowed 'cause I'm a new user. Anyway, I hope you like it!

Peter Pinckney
12-02-2007, 07:43 AM
Good Grief!

The detail is AMAZING!

B****Y MARVELOUS!

Please excuse my French!

FurrTrap
12-02-2007, 08:00 AM
Expertly executed! I wouldn't have a clue how to start something like this!

RobertSWade
12-02-2007, 08:00 AM
An excellent tribute to the genre. Congrats.

AndyRage
12-02-2007, 08:58 AM
Welcome to the forum, gileadis. This is a stunning artwork. I look forward to seeing more of your work!

Belvrog
12-02-2007, 09:17 AM
Extremely well done gileadis !!! I only would change Minnies head shading! It could be brighter with more contrast because she has no hair between her face and the lightsource. But this way it is it may be more similar to the original. Great work.

shirly
12-02-2007, 09:26 AM
hi!!!!!!!
welcome to the forum..........
i love cartoons ........and the painting is just fantastic........
keep it up!!!!! :wink:

D Akey
12-02-2007, 10:48 AM
Excellent Work.

I would lighten Minnie's face a little because the poofy white shoulder is stealing too much attention regarding contrast. And Sir Goofy's face might be a little more visible as well for the same reason.

If there's one thing animation companies care about most, it is to see their characters quickly and unimpeded -- acting is everything to them, and that's done through the characters' expressions and body language.

But if you can paint this well, that should be easy to fix (were you interested in showing it in a portfolio).

:D :D :D

pai
12-02-2007, 11:01 AM
Big Wow when I open this. An excellent piece. :D So much to see in this one. Do you mind letting me know how long you spent on this one?

..and Welcome to the forum. :)

Netti
12-02-2007, 12:53 PM
oh my goodness, this is scary good...!!
Wow, not much that can be said about it, it is so perfect! Wow...

henna
12-02-2007, 01:09 PM
Hi Gleadis,welcome to the forum..This is amazing. :P :P :P :P :P

gileadis
12-02-2007, 01:12 PM
I'm not exactly sure when I started it--some time in May or June, I think. I worked on it on and off since then. It's been a fun pass-time.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Here's a quick version with brighter faces. I cheated and used Photoshop to do the brightening.

As a pointless excercise, try counting the number of Mickey heads. As long as you're going to add detail to a picture, might as well add Easter Eggs :)

screenpainter
12-02-2007, 01:13 PM
That is some fantastic work. Here's a link to the reference you mentioned.
http://www.revilo-oliver.com/Kevin-Strom-personal/Art/accolade.htm
Cool idea to make it humorous. You did an amazing job to make it your own.

Caesar
12-02-2007, 01:20 PM
I understood it's painfully long, but the results are super, amazing in some details (draping, jewels..). 8)

Nika
12-03-2007, 04:50 AM
Wonderful picture :)

+mw.Flash
03-25-2008, 02:28 PM
I love the painting look in a cartoon genre..good job..

sealion64
12-11-2009, 10:19 AM
I Love Minnies Dress!!! Keep Up The Good Work!!

kenmo
01-26-2010, 04:51 AM
Wow... Disney could not have done it better

Likoum
01-26-2010, 05:01 AM
A very good painting, indeed !!

arenhaus
01-26-2010, 06:29 AM
Minnie's face is a bit skewed. Check it with some redlining; it's basically a sphere with a nose attached, so the eyes must follow the curve of the sphere. Here they don't. And the nose is too far to the right.

Just a few minor tweaks can fix it, nothing big.

arenhaus
01-26-2010, 06:32 AM
kenmo - Disney couldn't have done it better because old Walt could not draw his way out of a paper bag. ;)

The artist in their outfit was Ub Iwerks and later a whole bunch of folks. Walt's strength was organizing things and motivating personnel, he left drawing to other people.

gileadis
02-05-2010, 08:07 AM
Minnie's face is a bit skewed. Check it with some redlining; it's basically a sphere with a nose attached, so the eyes must follow the curve of the sphere. Here they don't. And the nose is too far to the right.

Just a few minor tweaks can fix it, nothing big.

I was aware of the distortion when I painted it. Basically I used some reference drawings of Mickey/Minnie that had the distortion in them (many of the 2D cartoons do) and decided I liked the way it looked, even though it wasn't "correct". If it's too distracting I may go back some day and try a more correct 3D look.

Thanks everyone for your comments!