PDA

View Full Version : Dragonfire (Updated 06.12.07)

Belvrog
12-01-2007, 11:23 AM
Hi here's my actual painting, done in Artrage while playing around with stencils. I think it still feels a little bit empty. So i tried some different clippings. Maybe i need some more dragons :D

I had to scale it down. A bigger version is in the gallery.

EDIT: The final version is on page 2 !!

Bumble
12-01-2007, 11:53 AM
Wonderful Dragon..... :D :D I love the sky...... :D :D

Caesar
12-01-2007, 12:46 PM
A nice superbat with an heavy breath!! :lol: Very nice fantasy illustration!!

EB
12-01-2007, 01:24 PM
Fighting dragons a delicate trick?
Scorching flames bellow so thick.
Not Being a knight in armor,
Nor a pitchfork wielding farmer.
A Howitzer would be my pick!

EB
---------------------------------------
The background looks great. :D :D

RobertSWade
12-01-2007, 01:30 PM
Very cool. More dragons would be good for me. :)

screenpainter
12-01-2007, 08:30 PM
The sky, the mountain, the dragon. All are fantastic! What a beauty.

delog
12-01-2007, 10:56 PM
great job and fantastic scene. 8)

Belvrog
12-02-2007, 12:56 AM
Thanks delog, gzairborne, RobertSWade, EB, Caesar, Bumble for your kind words.
I actually think about refining it. Because of that thanks Robert and rhyme-master EB for your thoughts. ( I really enjoyed your rhymes EB :D ) Maybe I'll enrich the pic with some dragons in the background, a howitzer and maybe an ancient airship.

D Akey
12-02-2007, 05:27 AM
@ Belvrog - What a great image. I really like the dragon and the fire.

You simplified it some, but I can only tell from the close up. It reads perfectly at a distance.

Excellent editing. :D :D :D

@ EB - hahahah

_Lady_Art_
12-02-2007, 05:55 AM
wooow this is fantastic... :D dragon throws out the fire out of mouth...so wonderful expression... :D :wink:

Belvrog
12-02-2007, 08:28 AM
Thank you! Yes D Akey you are right. I could have put more details in the foreground, and perhaps still should. But I upscaled the image very late while painting and left the foreground quite unchanged.

shirly
12-02-2007, 09:38 AM
HEY you must be inspired by the harry potter series ......the fourth part has the same scene...........but no doubt.....
wonderful work......
i love the sky!!!!!!

Canvasian
12-03-2007, 04:11 PM
Very nice dragon! I like the sky, and how you did the flames! I like how you've done the light / glow around the flames. The people seem to be holding something. Lanterns? Torches?

ENCHANTER
12-03-2007, 10:53 PM
cool stuff 8)

FurrTrap
12-04-2007, 12:08 AM
Charming and great fun :)

I wondered at first about the lights on the ground (not wearing glasses) then I realized it is figures. Did they invite the dragon over for a BBQ? Maybe they have some food laid out ready for a quick toasting?

Seems like a great idea, invite a dragon over for supper, all the food gets an expert toasting and the dragon and eat some of it too :D

Is_It
12-04-2007, 01:53 AM
really good job. like the sky and no it is not empty.

Belvrog
12-04-2007, 12:16 PM
Hi shirly draco91, enchanter, Furrtrap and Is_It, thank you for your words, thoughts and liking my picture.

@shirly: No I didn't even remember bookcover anymore. But because of your wordsI took a look at it. There is a really nice dragons scene on it. Its a little more cartoonish than my one.

@Draco91: Yes I painted some people in the foreground. They are carrying torches. I wanted something in the picture that serves as size reference, to make the dragon seem even bigger. The landscape itself was missing concrete elements to guess the dragons size.

@ Furrtrap: :D :D :D Never looked at the picture the way you did. Reading your words, it sounds alot like king kong or at least a more BBQ-friendly version of king kong. But nice to hear your interpretation. In fact they are scientifics from the future. And they are wearing a brown fire-resistant suits. And that in their hands are sticks with marshmallows on its top. And they discover the fastest way to burn marshmallows.

@ Is_It: Thanks you for your response on my thoughts of it being too empty. Maybe you are right about it. In fact I am still painting on it. I am giving the foreground more detail at the moment. And the longer I look at it, I am more and more the same opinion like you. Lets see.

Belvrog
12-06-2007, 02:10 PM
Here is my final version. I think I am done with it. I did change/apply some details, reworked the foregound and added two more dragons.

Both versions are smaller versions. The large one is in the gallery.

RobertSWade
12-06-2007, 02:55 PM
Very cool. I like the extra dragons. :)

Netti
12-06-2007, 03:19 PM
This is remarkable! Simply....brilliant!

EB
12-06-2007, 04:17 PM
Whoa, more dragons frolic free
Stakes raised from one to three
Now I need a bigger gun
My howitzer has just plugged one
Yet another drops with the aid
Of a high tossed hand grenade
Down to one last fiery beast
Wanting me for a tender feast
In hades his bones can rot
My bayonet in a vital spot
All down with none to go
I'll be the celebrated new hero
This story I'll tell all year
We made up while downing beer
By my dragon friends and I
Who will know its a lie?

:D :D :D

goldenrosa
12-06-2007, 04:53 PM
enchanted , great picture :) , it make me remember a story " Eragon " , oh , im waiting for part 2 ...

D Akey
12-06-2007, 08:06 PM
Turning into an epic suitable for Lord of the Rings.

The additional dragons really add a lot as people have said. The activity in the sky is really featured because of the eye level of the pic and the contrast of light and dark pulls out attention there.

It's very much about altitude. . . except of course the marshmallow toasters live on the ground. Have to pay tribute to the sweet snacks for the campers among us.

Excellent work.

:D :D :D

screenpainter
12-06-2007, 09:23 PM
Amazing. I didn't imagine it could get even better but this is really
worth the additional time you put in. Fantastic work.

Jikito
12-06-2007, 09:27 PM
I have always loved dragons, this is like stepping right into the pages of a story book.

Belvrog
12-07-2007, 02:15 AM
Hi RobertSWade,Netti,EB,goldenrosa, D Akey, gzairborne, Jikito, thank you so much for your nice words.

@EB: Maybe in my next picture I will leave an area quite blank to apply your compelling rhymes.
And if the beer is the key to your success, tell me the brewerie's name.

@goldenrosa: I am waiting for the movie to come out too. But the second book is already in stores. That could heal your wounds. ;)

ENCHANTER
12-07-2007, 02:30 AM
yeh first was good..the sequel even better :D

AndyRage
12-07-2007, 08:42 AM
Stunning work, Belvrog.

FurrTrap
12-08-2007, 12:02 AM
Yes a lot of fun... I'd still like to get out there with a toasting fork :D There's nothing to beat dragon toast...

Belvrog
12-08-2007, 08:28 AM
Thanks Andy.

@Furrtrap: Here's your dragontoast.

FurrTrap
12-09-2007, 02:39 AM
Yes very quick and effective sketch, you captured it well :D

I've decided to do some timed sketches.... see how much I can do in how little time...

Belvrog
12-09-2007, 05:06 AM
Good luck FurrTrap. Waiting for some sketches you will show us.

Jim Walsh
12-09-2007, 05:23 AM
The painting with the extra dragons is really great, also got a chuckle from the last cartoon, but with all that dragon fire I would think they taste best on toasted bread :lol: .

D Akey
12-09-2007, 08:40 AM
That looks about as delicious as a sea slug on toast.

Bleech.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Belvrog
12-09-2007, 11:23 AM
Hi Jim and D Akey. Perhaps we could open a restaurant :D :D :D

pai
12-09-2007, 11:54 AM
:lol: I like that dragon toast but poor him. :lol:

Twig
12-09-2007, 11:58 AM
Holy crap man! That's an awesome picture. Little catapult on the mountain and everything :P

Belvrog
12-09-2007, 12:10 PM
Thanks pai!! Yes seems he was not in luck recently.

Thanks Twig !! I am glad you like it !!!

MidnightCharisma
08-04-2008, 06:19 PM
Wonderful textures for the dragons and sky! The final project looks wonderful! I actually like how you cropped the second image on page one. It narrows the focus on the dragon.;)

Nickillus
08-14-2008, 09:43 PM
Some really nice stuff going on in this piece Belvrog. Super atmosphere.

Belvrog
08-28-2008, 11:03 PM
Thanks alot MidnightCharisma for liking it, sorry for the late reply, but I didn't get a email notification for your reply , maybe I accidentally disabled it some time ago for this thread or it was due to the forum update. Anyhow thank you. Yep I like that crop somehow too, for the same reason as you've said.

Thanks alot Nick. I am very pleased by your visit and approval. Thanks alot.