PDA

View Full Version : New Tools...

creationsings
11-09-2007, 06:15 AM
Well, the tools are new for me anyway. I usually go for the oils brush because that's what's most comfortable to me. So this time, I tried for something different. This piece uses the felt pen and a bit of crayon here and there. Oh, and the smooth knife on occasion, as well. I was aiming for something watercolor-like.

I'm open to any and all critique on this piece...let me know what you think.

Rick
11-09-2007, 10:37 AM
Looks doggone good to me.. Nice work

jiffyblue
11-09-2007, 11:10 AM
This is very nice Erica, it does have a watercolor look to it.

RobertSWade
11-09-2007, 02:18 PM
This would brighten up any kitchen for sure. :)

pai
11-09-2007, 02:31 PM
Beautiful still life painting. The light and shade is so well painted. :)

D Akey
11-09-2007, 03:13 PM
Having seen some of your top notch stiff like that waterfall, I think you could perhaps design with more meaning the surrounding fabric and the cast shadows and all that. Rather than it being a throw away space, it with a little extra interest, it could support your main area of your still life -- the lemons and so forth. It's all part of that space you're working with.

But this painting with the colors and all has got a really light, fresh, fragrant feel.

smartdog22
11-09-2007, 03:29 PM
creationsings,

I really like the bowl. I the rim and the reflexion on the inside really give it volume to hold those three lemons.

You are getting the mass and volume down. Nice work with the colors too :-)

Thank you for sharing your work

screenpainter
11-09-2007, 04:36 PM
Beautiful CS. I like your style, it is full of light. And I like the brush strokes
in your work also. You are a masterful painter. Maybe a little subtlety on some of the shadows and black areas if you are going for water color. Still incredible work and full of your brightness. :D

juergen
11-10-2007, 12:55 AM
Wonderfull!
All Your pictures.
I would be happy if I had Your painting ability.

creationsings
11-10-2007, 06:23 AM
Thanks so much for the replies everyone!! They are much appreciated :)

Based on some helpful comments from gzairborne about the overpowering darkness of the shadows, and the comments from DAkey about enhancing the cloth, I'm posting an update.

I'm not sure if I made things better or worse. What do you think? Is this an improvement? The lighter shadows do tend to help it look a bit more like a watercolor.

D Akey
11-10-2007, 09:18 AM
Right direction.

Could even go a little lighter in the background overall. White as a local color can really work for you, but too much grey can make it look a little less than fresh.

Enjoy the process.

:D :D :D

pai
11-10-2007, 10:40 AM
Hi Erica,

The second is much better because the folding of the cloth has enchanced. I like it very much. Thank you for sharing this piece for me to study. :)

Jodi Frye
11-13-2007, 02:09 PM
Hey ! Got busy and haven't been around in a while so checked in tonight on a whim....glad I did...love this !

I'm going to have to be the odd-ball here. I 'much' prefer the first. The first, imo, shows a commitment in allowing yourself to create..' it's you '...where the second appears to be more on the following of the cookie cutter route in trying to please others. Follow your own source. So you can all boo me now..no worries here ;)

Love the first ! Keep at it...there is something quite special in you.

creationsings
11-16-2007, 04:41 AM
D Akey... Thanks for your comments. They are very helpful.
Pai, Thanks for stopping in. Your comments are appreciated.
Jodi, Thanks you for commenting. :) There are things I like about both versions. I plan on coming back to this one after I've had a break. I'd like to find a nice melding between the two.

Dany51
11-19-2007, 04:35 PM
I like this still life, specially the lemons outside the bowl,
I don't understand very well the trill on the one of lemons inside and
the gray round line on the other is the shadow of the bowl ? This are just small details, the painting is very lovely. :)

ENCHANTER
11-20-2007, 03:16 AM
gorgeous painting :D