PDA

View Full Version : my process more in depth

sosuke
06-03-2006, 04:37 AM
sorry about this guys. i had a friend, who isn't a forum member, ask to see some more step by step. if its too much andy, you can delete it.

first-i box in the rough shape of the picture from the photo reference

sosuke
06-03-2006, 04:38 AM
i refine the edges and start thinking about placement of the features

sosuke
06-03-2006, 04:40 AM
i start to add the features, and refine the edges even more. to me, this is the real critical step. miss measurements and angles here, and the likeness will be off. still,...thanks to artrage, correction is a snap.

sosuke
06-03-2006, 04:42 AM
then, i fill in the specific shape of the features.

sosuke
06-03-2006, 04:44 AM
after this, my work gets a little easier. i create another layer, and take my time tracing right on top of the sketch. i also add little details, and highlights with a white pencil.

sosuke
06-03-2006, 04:44 AM
here it is without the sketch behind it.

sosuke
06-03-2006, 04:47 AM
i then, duplicate this layer, and change the opacity and colour of the bottom copy. then i take the palette knife and smear the edges in a random fashion.

sosuke
06-03-2006, 04:48 AM
with the opacity of the smudged layer dropped to around 26%, the picture starts to take shape.

sosuke
06-03-2006, 04:51 AM
i then create another layer, and put it below these two. i use the sampler tool to grab some approximate colours off the reference, and block in the basic transitions of colour.

sosuke
06-03-2006, 04:53 AM
then, i turn off the visibility of this layer for later. i create another layer underneath the last layer, and fill in what i want to be the base colours with the airbrush.

sosuke
06-03-2006, 04:57 AM
and,...once again, i turn off the visibility of this layer for later. this is where the work begins. it helps to go into some kind of zen state during this part. you create another layer, and place it above the base colour layer, under the paintbrush layer. then use a combination of the sampler tool and airbrush to choose colours from the reference and dab it on. kind of like pointillism with an airbrush. the picture shows what it looks like, partially completed over the base colour.

sosuke
06-03-2006, 04:59 AM
you can see, that when the layers are added together, they start to create the illusion i'm looking for.

sosuke
06-03-2006, 05:01 AM
when i'm done, i like to smooth it out using the palette knife. not a major difference, but i like to think it helps. the left side of this picture has been smoothed, the right side hasen't yet.

sosuke
06-03-2006, 05:04 AM
then, i finish up the clothing the same way, and use the roller on the background. after that, i export the image to photoshop to clean it up. i talk a little about this in my earlier tutorial called "process"

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=787

thank you for your time.

drzeller
06-03-2006, 05:29 AM
I doubt Andy will take this away! It is always nice when someone who actually has a process (ahem - some of us don't) takes the time to illustrate that process (pun intended).

Thanks,
D.

Aged P
06-03-2006, 07:31 AM
Drzeller is so right!

My process is to pick up any old paint tool and start dobbing paint about!
This is so structured!

It has been a genuine education, thank you very much.

I expect Ambient will absorb this one into the system. A slow fade from one pic to the next with a voice over would be a great tutorial!

maror
06-03-2006, 07:31 AM
nice too see! I though your tracing the images! Sorry but is at the same time a compliment! :P

Exclusiv style!

Greez

sosuke
06-03-2006, 07:42 AM
maror- that's ok. there's nothing wrong with tracing the images. ou can really get a good education on the nuances of anatomy that way. i just don't do it, normally. if i was really pressed for time, and couldn't figure my way around a certain problem i might.

Weeks
06-03-2006, 08:07 PM
Hehe Sosuke,

That's a tutorial... :) Very precise and talented process..

Thanks to you..

Weeks

bleepnik
06-04-2006, 04:05 AM
This is wonderful, sosuke, thanks! And thanks also to your friend, without whose request we may not have seen this. =)

- Gita