PDA

View Full Version : Panda Rebellion!!!

krpolak
10-18-2007, 12:25 PM
Hello everyone,

here is my latest image done in ArtRage. Any comments are welcome and hope you like it :)

Thanks,

K.Polak

http://www.krpolak.com/show_images/krpolak_pandarebellion_final_smaller.jpg

Netti
10-18-2007, 12:44 PM
Haha..I thought pandas were so sweet and nice...I'll think again when I see them :lol:

I love this painting. The expression on their faces are amazing! You have done a great job! I am still laughing... :lol: What a great image... :lol: :lol:

D Akey
10-18-2007, 04:46 PM
The Wild Bunch

Planet of the Pandas

Pandemic

Very clean painting and extremely fun! I could easily see this in a store that sells posters and prints. I think it would have very broad appeal.

:D :D :D

Loki
10-18-2007, 05:41 PM
How comes the bazooka is not made out of bamboo?? That would have been rad.

Nice painting, love the facial expressions of the two pandas at either side. :)

krpolak
10-18-2007, 07:24 PM
Thanks a lot of guys for your comments. I had a lot of fun doing this painting and I am glad it makes you laugh. Yesterday I went back for a moment to Painter and to be honest I somehow prefer Artrage. Hopefully guys will put few missing things and make it painting package number 1.

D Akey, propably it would sell well, but somehow I dont believe much in royality fees ;-)

Loki, I prefer keeping weapons sort of realistic. I amplify impression of this sceen being likely to happens even it its not. Real and imagination comming together.

Thanks again,

K.Polak

D Akey
10-19-2007, 03:47 AM
An artist who doesn't believe in royalty fees? :shock:

So are you like a Panda or something?

Nika
10-19-2007, 04:04 AM
Wonderful painting. :D :D

DoodLS
10-19-2007, 05:42 AM
Hey the wwf have spent years portraiting the panda as a defenceless cute little animal. Now finally the truth is out there...

Great one K.Polak. Had a great laugh over this one! Sell it and send the royality fees off to charity...

DoodLS

Khalid_ipda
10-19-2007, 06:02 AM
Very nice. Cute panda.

AndyRage
10-19-2007, 09:03 AM
That's a stunning artwork, krpolak.
Very crisp and smooth. Great characters and scene too.

It would be great to see a progression of one of your pieces.

krpolak
10-19-2007, 12:02 PM
D Akey, well, thats why I prefer to be paid buy project not potencial sell ;-)

Nika, thanks a lot :)

DoodLS, WWF has good marketing people. Lets not forget pandas are wild bears. Still they lack a bit skills in making rebellions ;-)

Khalid_ipda, thanks again :)

AndyRage, thanks. I could drop some progress images here with few comments if you dont mind.

Thanks again everybody for great response :)

K.Polak

RobertSWade
10-19-2007, 12:07 PM
Am I the only one to notice the captive? Very imaginative KP. Has nice dimensionality and I like what D Akey said: "Clean".

krpolak
10-19-2007, 03:41 PM
RobertSWade, thanks. So far you are propably the only one to articulate that, however I tried to make it not too screamy :)

Regards,

K.Polak

krpolak
10-19-2007, 04:20 PM
Here are few wip images and my comments.

The title was a given subject so idea was to create something an image fitting into it. I decided to do kind of caricatures drawing inpired by photos of querrillas and soldiers in a field. i am preatty sure you can recall a photo of bunch of guys, sitting in a bush and proudly presenting their weapons.

The very first doodle actually looks like few years old kid's drawing. The point is to not spend too much time on details, just rouch concept. Even less, a starting point for a concept. There is more for my eyes of imagination then to potencial viewer.

From that I moved to drawing. First I locked general ambient lighting and set the mood, more or less. Fine tuning will come later. In the same time I was experimenting with illustrative, sort of watercolour/ink style. Mind you I used dry oil brush though. Once I had tree pattern I placed sketch of characters. As you can see most of ideas were placed at that time:

http://www.krpolak.com/show_images/krpolak_pandarebellion_02.jpg

Then I moved to shading and colouring pandas. Again I look a lot for references. Everybody know how panda looks, but to know and to draw concrete shapes is different story. The same story with weapons. All done with dry oil brush, which I prefer the most:

http://www.krpolak.com/show_images/krpolak_pandarebellion_03.jpg

At this point I decided to have some fun with detail and test ArtRage in more detailing work:

http://www.krpolak.com/show_images/krpolak_pandarebellion_04.jpg

From this point there I dont have any progress images. But you can see that basicly the whole story repeats again and again to the point when I was happy with details, shading and overall impression. The only things that was done outside ArtRage and which I find extremly usefull is adjustment like curves, saturation ect. I know there are different layers modes, but its not as straight forward.

Finaly after many loops I got to the result you can see in the first post.

Hope it was helpfull for you. However I must say there was said nothing that you would not learn from any illustratiob book, course ect. Idea, observation and practise. Thats all :)

Regards,

K.Polak

AndyRage
10-19-2007, 10:10 PM
That's stunning - thanks very much for posting the progression pictures.
Gorgeous work.

Caesar
10-19-2007, 11:51 PM
An incredibly fine result and tutorial! Thanks!!

screenpainter
10-20-2007, 08:47 AM
Fantastic! :D

krpolak
10-20-2007, 11:52 PM
Thanks again :)

K.Polak

Lee
10-24-2007, 02:15 PM
Dear Krpolak, oh, who knew!!! those tricky pandas.... and thanks for showing some of the steps you took for such a good painting!

krpolak
10-24-2007, 08:37 PM
Thanks Lee. Pandas are definitelly tricky as this article shows:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/news/panda-attacks-teen-in-zoo-enclosure/2007/10/24/1192941107544.html

:shock:

Regards,

K.Polak

lostneuron
10-24-2007, 09:42 PM
I saw this on CGTalk, it won sketch of the week I believe? :P Guess no-one else looks at that site. Wonderful entry, didn't realise it was artrage. What settings did you use for the oil brush for this?

krpolak
10-24-2007, 10:32 PM
Thanks lostneuron. You are right, I was lucky to be nominated by users for sketch of the week. There is at least two of us who look there :) I used standard dry oil brush, full load, more or less half pressure and depending on a moment, full or half thinners. Nothing realy fancy. Work more or less, however I must say Painter's oil+blender combo works better for thats sort of tasks. I really would like to have it added, nice blender. It can save a lot of time.

Thanks again,

K.Polak

screenpainter
10-24-2007, 11:25 PM
Congrats on sketch of the week at CGtalk.
They have some amazing work so that says a lot.
It is very cool that you used AR for the project.