PDA

View Full Version : Pumpkin Carvings

Taron
10-16-2007, 07:13 PM
I thought of bringing up a total standart topic of Halloween, but thought a little refinement couldn't hurt!

Here you could either paint a beautiful masterpiece with a real carved pumpkin or simply paint an idea for the carving itself!!! I'll see that I prepare some examples for inspiration. I think it would be really funny! Imagine someone would actually try to make your pumpkin carving pattern! Imagine you'd do it yourself, hahahaha!

CARVE AWAY! :lol:

Taron
10-16-2007, 08:00 PM
Ok, here's a little example and a template pumpkin that might getcha going!? :D

pai
10-17-2007, 02:30 PM
OK. I'll give it a try but don't laugh. :lol: It's first time I do something like this but I'm having fun. I used your pumpkin.jpg just add-on very simple one. A Happy Holloween smile and change the texture of the canvas. :D

Taron
10-17-2007, 03:16 PM
THAT'S AWESOME, PAI! Hahahaha... mummy-pumpkin! Brilliant! That's even more than I'd hoped for! Great stuff!!!

more more more... :lol:

I hope that nobody will worry about quality too much. This is purely about fun and simple creativity! No contest! Just joy and experimentation...

Thanks a lot, Pai, you're making me already very happy! :D

D Akey
10-17-2007, 06:01 PM
Hahaha. What a super idea!

I love yours Pai!

And Taron, as always, very cool.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

pai
10-17-2007, 07:58 PM
Thank you Taron and D Akey. :D It's so amazing that I really feel like I'm carving a pumpkin when I do the second one. Taron, you're so great to come up this idea. Oh, well, this one may not serve exactly Halloween mood but you said creative....so I made this. :lol: Can you tell what it is?

Taron
10-17-2007, 08:04 PM
Fantastic! Tough to pull off, but I'm sure it's possible! :idea:
I suppose it's a sleeping fox?! It's incredibly cute! And it truely deeply makes me happy! You should've seen what I actually was carving into pumpkins a few years ago.... I think I'll have to do it this year again!

The other thing I wanted to show and tell was that you can actually just take of the skin at some areas, which will then show a dim light, once a light is inside. This way you can make shadings for example or more complex pictures. It's totally fantastic. I'll see that I prepare something for you to see what I mean.

Pai, again, congratulations, this is very beautiful! :o

...people, if that doesn't inspire you than I don't know what could! :shock:

creationsings
10-18-2007, 03:30 AM
Great idea Taron! Thanks for the pumpkin to get us started.
Pai, yours are wonderful. I like the firefox too. :)

Mine isn't very creative, but it was fun. It doesn't look like I'll be doing any real carving this year, so this was a nice alternative. Maybe once I get my project at work complete, I'll be able to come up with something a little more original. :)

Taron
10-18-2007, 06:16 AM
I think it's a beautiful classic and it clearly looks just perfect! This one sings to me for sure! ;)

Ah, duh, firefox, I thought it looked familiar. I can't run mozilla on this machine for whatever reason, that's why it's but a faint memory. Still too darn cute! :lol:

hinket
10-18-2007, 11:58 AM
Message On Your Answering Machine:

"Hey Taron, I've set you up with this real cool - Man, is she hot! - chick for Halloween.

Hope you don't mind.

Byeee ... :twisted: "

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Taron
10-18-2007, 08:22 PM
You know, I'm married, so please don't tempt me! :lol:

Yeah, I suppose you can paint on your pumpkin, too! :lol:

Well, heck, rock on, everything goes! 8)

creationsings
10-19-2007, 04:46 AM
I had to do another one...the first one was too much fun. :-D A slight change of emotion from the first.

pai
10-19-2007, 08:08 AM
It's very funny one. I like it. I had the same feeling, once you had painted the first one. You just want to "carve" another one. :lol: :lol:

creationsings
10-19-2007, 10:17 AM
Thanks, Pai.
Okay, this is probably my last one. But, I wanted to do a non-face one. I had a bit of trouble imagining how the thickness of the pumpkin meat needed to be angled and shaded. I doubt it's right, but it's close maybe. :)

The make stencil from layer option really came in handy when doing this one.

Cédric Trojani
10-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Quickly done tonight between 2 jobs... the good old pumpkin needs now some help to see clearly things around...

Cédric[/img]

Taron
10-19-2007, 11:29 AM
holy shit! :shock: (sorry, I can't contain myself)

Well, I was already glowing for joy when I saw Erica's beautiful additions, just great stuff! C'mon, you need to do some real carving, too, those are just fantastic. I love the shading, too! Beautifully and skillfully made!

And Cedric, I mean, wowsa... just as a picture this is an instant classic. Gorgeous! And I wouldn't be too shocked, if there was a freaky pumpkin out there, which could get manipulated to look somewhat like that, too. Amazing and absolutely beautiful! Another big keeper!

Taron
10-19-2007, 11:32 AM
Again, Cedric, I'm speechless! So friggin' fantastique... what a style you have.

All of you are already blowing me away! I'm so happy right now! :oops:

AndyRage
10-19-2007, 11:38 AM
This is a brilliant thread - those pumpkins are fantastic!

Awesome Halloween idea.

Selby
10-19-2007, 03:48 PM
hehe great idea and great carvings :D and much less messy than i imagine the real sort to be.

Selby

Taron
10-19-2007, 06:46 PM
Oh, the real thing is a mess, but it's absolutely great fun, too! I mean, we're right now carving into a lit pumpkin, but the real kicker is of course to design it so that it looks great at night, when only a candle glows inside!

Unfortunately I only have very weak photos of our last session two years ago, but you can really do some unbelievable things, if you use the inner layers of the skin as well. Which reminds me... ... I wanted to make a little example! Hmmm...

Taron
10-19-2007, 08:11 PM
Alright, here is a really simple example of what I mean with leaving some skin... you can scrape your way to the inside carefully and generate such layers. I hope it's understandable.

One is in light, the other one at night.. well... silly quick sketch, but anyway, I hope it works...

Selby
10-19-2007, 08:37 PM
wow thats neat taron i hadnt realised you could do that...i always imagined people just cut right through.

Selby

Cédric Trojani
10-19-2007, 10:09 PM
very nice one Taron :)

AndyRage
10-19-2007, 11:05 PM
Taron, you seriously scare me.

Cédric Trojani
10-19-2007, 11:10 PM
another one... older and scariest than my first one

creationsings
10-20-2007, 03:32 AM
Yay! More wonderful pumpkins to look at!

Cédric, Yours are amazing! :!: I just love them. They both have a personality. Though, I think my favorite is the old man pumpkin. :)

Taron, I'm seriously jealous of your ability to realistically paint lighting. I love your example of scraping a the skin off the pumpkin. Neat concept. 8)

Caesar
10-20-2007, 04:46 AM
I hope You do not mind if I do not carve any Taron model pumpkin and I just congratulate with him devilish idea and the sequence of pumpkin-addict creatives!!!! :D

Cédric Trojani
10-20-2007, 05:17 AM
the return back of the revenge of the mummy.... but sorry the pumpkin has felt and roll and now you have to turn your head to see it clearly

DoodLS
10-20-2007, 06:15 AM
So funny this tread is. Great idea Taron, lovely works by all. Scary Halloween, DoodLS

Taron
10-20-2007, 06:40 AM
Cedric, you're on fire!!!!!! :lol:

I love them all, I'm just trying to think of how to pull them of for real. The skull would seriously rock, but I doubt that this could work, unless with some other tricks. Pirat is a sweet one, too, very clever! The old man looks like a picture that one sees as a child and never ever forgets. But I think your entire style has that power. I salute your artistry!

Ceasar, dude, c'mon. It's halloween, time to just have some fun! ;)

Andy, I scare you? Muuuhohohahahaha....eeh..caUGH, caugh. If we get to figure this thing out with AR, you'll scare yourself! 8)
THANX, tho! :D

Alright, I sooo wonna see even more styles, I'm completely full of joy about this thread! Rock on everyone!!!

D Akey
10-20-2007, 10:03 AM
Brilliant!!!!! Each and every one.

:D :D :D :D :D

screenpainter
10-20-2007, 11:01 AM
Fantastic work all... just amazing work....great thread idea!

reillyr
10-20-2007, 07:16 PM
unfinished, if i get time soon, I'll finish it.

Taron
10-20-2007, 08:20 PM
Very promissing, Reilly! You should scale it down to 800x by whatever the resulting vertical is before you post it, that way it shows up directly! ;)

Can't wait to see the final piece! :D

John B
10-22-2007, 10:38 AM
My 1st Project post here. Great subject, lots O FUN!

Lee
10-24-2007, 02:06 PM
Great Idea, impossible to pick the best one from this pumpkin patch! but do i see an immage inside the left eye of Reillyr's 'Jack' pumpkin? hmmmmm?

Caesar
10-25-2007, 02:00 AM
OK, Taron since You asked for and since there was so little work due to Your "assist"!
Here's the most scaring experience we may have here in Italy where halloween is only a recent "consumistic" re-import of elder an celtic tradition quite abandoned rivisisted by christianism and where Carnival goliardy and Pinocchio tend to prevail.
Imagine that soon after I started carving Your refurbished pumpkin alone in the night, frighteningly, an acute voice started to bewail and ask: "Hey, why are You carving me???" :shock: :lol:

Nika
10-25-2007, 03:18 AM
Caesar, :lol: :lol: :lol:

Caesar
10-25-2007, 03:38 AM
OK Nika! :oops: :)
Let's go more conventional! :)

Taron
10-25-2007, 06:28 AM
Love it! 8) ....pumkin booty is pricelessly brilliant! :lol:

I don't think you're a conventional kind of guy, hehehehe! Great, great, great! And thanx for not giving up on the poor pumkins. Not their fault to stand for yet another commercially perverted and abused holiday. At least these guys are good for the farmers! ;)

D Akey
10-25-2007, 08:58 AM
Caesar, I tremendously appreciate your painting of The Great Plumpkin also called The Halloween Tushkin. Very festive. It is said to be seen at harvest time when the moon is full. . . and the the apple cider has done it's work. . .

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Caesar
10-25-2007, 11:28 PM
Taron, D Akey, thank You for Your non conventional appreciations (so it seems at least to my now inflated Ego). :D
Since this section has a scarce attendance and these pumpkins seems to contribute raising moods, do You believe that they may be advisable, for better evidence, to put them respectively in the After 9 o'clock and Gallery sections (certainly with due acknowlegdement to the kick-off genius and pumpkin by Taron) so as to possibly have a far more collective laugh together? :?:

irishrose
10-26-2007, 06:05 AM
Caesar, you made me smile ... at first I didn't know what the first one was... then I blushed.. oh my! :) I figured it out.. DUH!

The second is cute... my son LOVES pirates... very well done, and leave them HERE!!! It's not that 9 oclocky! :)

Someonesane
10-26-2007, 12:23 PM
Hi all. I'm new here, so I hope I'm not stepping on any toes by posting. I just bought ArtRage a couple days ago and have been trying to get used to the tools. I figured I might as well try and participate here while I'm working on getting better with the program. Having seen some of the amazing work already posted I can see I'm a bit out classed, but hey... I can take it :wink:

Anyhow, I did a pretty basic design, but I like it.

Caesar
10-26-2007, 12:27 PM
Thanks Rose! Pieces in here are also without any reference image. I only used Taron pumpkin (closing his carvings) as a wonderful springboard, so I'm quite satisfied this time.

So You can solve the mystery of the identity of the first one behaving like in the Pinocchio book first chapter? I'm still guessing; it's going on saying to go on and don't leave it with made cheeks only, but actually I don't see any face sign! :lol:

As for the second one I can't tell You when but I take note pirates would always be welcome by one of Your kids, so.... (I've to apply for Jack's licence first though)

irishrose
10-26-2007, 01:30 PM
haha... you make me laugh... yes, leave it the way it is... if you give it a face, it becomes a personality... right now, the first one is just cheeks but no face! :)

And yes, my kids love pirates, anything scary! License from Jack first is a necessity! LOL

Taron
10-26-2007, 09:57 PM
Hey sane one,

I think you've done a friggin' great one! Beautiful idea to go for glow! ;)

I like your modesty, but you're certainly not outclassed in any way! But I'm sure you know that... :wink:

D Akey
10-26-2007, 10:01 PM
Someonesane, Nice lighting.

Sorta does look like our Jack-a-Bit.

Welcome. :D :D :D

Caesar
10-26-2007, 10:55 PM
Welcome SSane and congratulations!! I tryed to figure out how You did it and I have an hypothesis. It seems that in two days You understood a lot. So I'm going to get out in few days and have to retire!!! :lol:

screenpainter
10-26-2007, 11:17 PM
Finally someonesane! :D
Great job!
You too John.
You three Caesar.

Taron
10-27-2007, 01:11 AM
Ok, here's another wild one... thought of it and had to do it real quick.

irishrose
10-27-2007, 01:28 AM
LOL Taron.. that's cool! How did you do that so quickly???

Taron
10-27-2007, 04:33 AM
Haha, thanx, it's just a pumpkin, you know. Nothing to worry about, wildly paint onward! :D ...it's one of those beautiful opportunities to simply do what I do. 8)

Cédric Trojani
10-27-2007, 04:39 AM
wow Taron ! it's a very nice one !!

Caesar
10-27-2007, 05:27 AM
An amusing original Pumpks Bunny, Taron!!! :D

D Akey
10-27-2007, 06:27 AM
Hahhahah. :lol: :lol: :lol:

heikki
10-27-2007, 07:31 AM
:)

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Excellent pumpkins,,,, i found also one pumpkin,,,,, i think that this pumpkin has take some medicine many years and therefore someone must start to clean it's teeth,,,perhaps it help,,,but only the teeths,,,not the problems what cause that long long many centuryes medicine using period it's face and skin,,,,hmm,,,medicine,,,,. :D

:)

D Akey
10-27-2007, 07:37 AM
That's hysterical, Heikki!

Hahahaha. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

irishrose
10-27-2007, 08:36 AM
Very creative... you should do book illustrations!!! Reminds me of some of the illustrations in Miss Spider books! :)

Selby
10-27-2007, 02:36 PM
Please forgive my colour work- its a bit rusty

A silly punkin entranced by his own light

Selby

D Akey
10-27-2007, 04:10 PM
Hahahah Selby lass!

Reminds me of one of the smiley faced emoticons all costumed up for Halloween!

You get candy for sure!!!!

Good to see you again.

:D :D :D

Selby
10-27-2007, 05:49 PM
hehe thanks DAkey :D :D twas fun to do a playful one

Selby

DMerchen
10-29-2007, 07:11 AM
I just barely found this project, but what a great idea! I had a lot of fun doing this although the tools are a bit rusty. Thanks for sharing Taron. Pumpkin has a visitor! :D

Rowena
10-29-2007, 07:57 AM
WOW :!: :D
Just to say kudos to each and every one of you who have painted pumpkins... they are excellently done imo :D :lol:

DMerchen
10-29-2007, 09:17 AM
Ok, the first one was so much fun that I had to do another. We have a fiber optic pumpkin that I patterned this one after. Thanks again Taron for the fun time!

hinket
10-29-2007, 10:36 AM
What a lot of fun pumpkins.

And Taron, you're lighting effects are awesome!

Caesar... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Unfortunately, Halloween Date pumpkin got away on me and it was quite a while before I noticed where she'd gone.

Sorry Cedric Trojani,

(couldn't resist, Citrouille3 was so cute!)

(but she had a hard time deciding, as she also fancied Pai's Kung Fu pumpkin kid)

D Akey
10-29-2007, 11:02 AM
Hahah. These are all very funny -- DMerchen funny and artistic.

Hinket, you're a hopeless romantic.

Selby
10-29-2007, 11:47 AM
DMerchen...hehe love the crosseyed look of surprise on your first punkin..very charming :D and the second one is very festive..had no idea you could get fibre optic ones...spose it shouldnt surprise me as i have a fibre optic chrissie tree these days.

Hinket- hehe :D :lol: :D

Selby

DaveRage
10-29-2007, 06:16 PM
This is such an awesome thread, really creative and fun ideas! :)

Just linked to it from the ArtRage homepage - http://www.artrage.com/artrage.html

pai
10-29-2007, 08:57 PM
Wow!! So many amazing and cool pumpkins here. I really like them all. :D

hoodoo
10-30-2007, 03:42 AM
Taron... wow... that is amazing.

creationsings
10-30-2007, 08:56 AM
I've been gone a week and come back and there are so many great pumpkins now! Of the most recent ones, I'm partial to DMerchen's pumpkin that has a visitor. The expression is just great! :)

Spamik
10-30-2007, 10:07 AM
My pumpkin :D

D Akey
10-30-2007, 11:40 AM
Woah! Scary and ornate/gothic.

Cool glow! :D :D :D

Selby
10-30-2007, 12:49 PM
Spamik you pumkin is amazing..the light is incredible..love it :D

Selby

DMerchen
10-30-2007, 06:52 PM
I just have to say thanks for the compliments by people with regards to my submissions. I have zero time for this type of pleasure right now while I am trying to finish my degree, but Sunday I just had to take some time out for me and my squashed creative side. Personally, I am just grateful to be able to share a thread with such great talent. I am amazed at the other paintings. Thanks to Taron once again for painting the pumpkin for me. I could never create that! Thanks again.

P.S. How have you all gotten the glows to look like you have. They are brilliant! I tired it and mine looks like I used the airbrush...poorly. :lol:

Taron
10-30-2007, 07:00 PM
Spamkin, that's awesome! I love your style!!! :D

DMerchen... such a cute one, great job!

ANDY, I'm so friggin' thrilled you put the thread up on front! I'm both happy just out of general principal and also quite proud, haha! Yeah, the turn up is a total riot, so many great pumkins!!!

CONGRATULATIONS TO EVERYONE!!! :D

Selby
10-30-2007, 11:45 PM
hehe i couldnt resist trying another :D

count punkular

Selby

D Akey
10-31-2007, 04:43 AM
Like ornament almost. . .

Fangs loads!

DMerchen
10-31-2007, 04:44 AM
Selby, another fine addition! I may have to try another one too. Just too much fun! :D

Caesar
10-31-2007, 05:01 AM
Dear PumpkinMates,
ever heard of or seen Arcimboldo's paintings?? He went far beyond pumpkins some centuries ago and he was certainly quite unconventional at that time for a court painter!!! :lol:
I found a site in English to give You a sample of his imagination and skills: http://www.sandlotscience.com/EyeonIllusions/Arcimboldo.htm
Congratulations to all authors of the new savoury addings!!!! :D

D Akey
10-31-2007, 05:13 AM
Dear PumpkinMates,
ever heard of or seen Arcimboldo's paintings?? He went far beyond pumpkins some centuries ago and he was certainly quite unconventional at that time for a court painter!!! :lol:
I found a site in English to give You a sample of his imagination and skills: http://www.sandlotscience.com/EyeonIllusions/Arcimboldo.htm
Congratulations to all authors of the new savoury addings!!!! :D

Hahah! Yes. I never knew his name. He was quite funny. Makes me wonder what he would be like having him to dinner. I'd feel like such a cannibal at a table with him.

Thanks Caesar.

Someonesane
10-31-2007, 07:20 AM
P.S. How have you all gotten the glows to look like you have. They are brilliant! I tired it and mine looks like I used the airbrush...poorly. :lol:

I'm not sure about the others, but I did use the airbrush. I created a new layer and used a dark color to cover the pumpkin. I then set the opacity of that layer so that the pumpkin could be seen through it. I set airbrush tool to a low pressure and outlined the areas that I wanted to appear to be glowing. As I mentioned in my first post I'm pretty new to ArtRage, so I'm still learning how to use all the tools. I recently found that using the "Soft Pallet knife" is also good for this sort of effect, because you can pull soft blends of color out.

So you can see what I mean, I made a short video as an example. I used the pumkin that everyone has been using here in the example. If that is a problem I will take it down.

Sorry, I just found out as I tried to post this message that I'm not allowed to post links as a new member. If you'd like to see the video, please let me know and I can send you the link in a Private Message.

Selby
10-31-2007, 04:55 PM
Selby, another fine addition! I may have to try another one too. Just too much fun! :Dyes do :D its great...besides its not like we shall do the others out of punkins..always plenty to go round in artrage :wink: :)

DAkey-thanks :D

Ceasar-yes they are great funny faces..had seen a little of his stuff before but didnt realise he had done many in that way.

Selby

Aunt_Betsy
10-31-2007, 05:28 PM
Here’s my pumpkin… I know I’m such a traditionalist… I can’t seem to help myself. :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No blowing out my candle! :lol: :lol:

I’m so impressed by everyone else’s pumpkins. Have a Happy Halloween everyone! :D :D :D

Selby
10-31-2007, 09:18 PM
aww what a cutie aunt betsy and a great job on the light :D

Selby

Caesar
10-31-2007, 11:13 PM
You too auntie!!!
The display of Your outstanding skills are enjoyable also in "traditionalist pumpkins"!!

D Akey
10-31-2007, 11:45 PM
Nice one Betsy!

Somebody put a candle in this one that we can see. Nice detail. :D :D :D

Aunt_Betsy
11-01-2007, 07:19 AM
Thank you Selby, Caesar, and D Akey! This was great fun! I like doing holiday art! Thanks Taron for starting this! :D :D :D

peati
11-01-2007, 08:31 AM
Ooh err he can see his seeds.

Taron
11-01-2007, 09:17 AM
Uh, props, hahaha....yes, there are no limits as to what we can do! ;)

HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYONE! (guess that is today, right?!)

Here's another quicky...so very little time to have fun these days! Anyway, great job Aunti, very cute! And... you are very, VERY welcome! :D

Oh yes, the new quicky...thought I'd try some more wild carving...

D Akey
11-01-2007, 09:21 AM
Great hatchet job, Peati!

That's showing a truly professional quality.

:lol: :D :D :D

D Akey
11-01-2007, 09:24 AM
Well Taron, I think somebody spiked the pumpkin juice.

:D :D :D :shock: :shock: :shock: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Selby
11-01-2007, 11:30 AM
Well Taron, I think somebody spiked the pumpkin juice.

:D :D :D :shock: :shock: :shock: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:hehe well whatever they put in i ant some if it means i can paint as well as taron :wink: :lol: :D

Selby

speggie
11-01-2007, 03:39 PM
pimp my pumpkin ...............

pai
11-01-2007, 04:27 PM
Hi Selby and Aunt Betsy, I'm so happy to see both of you are joining the fun of pumpkin carving. Those are very nice creations. I like it. :D

....and Taron and Speggie, yours two are just stunning pumpkins! :D

D Akey
11-01-2007, 11:38 PM
Hahaha.

Speggie and the Giant Pumpkin.

I loved that story more than James and the Giant Peach.

Great atmosphere. Made me laugh.

Another Halloween by and not a single trick-r-treater. I now have another year's supply of candy.

Taron
11-02-2007, 01:31 AM
HAAAhaha, nice, Speggie, that rocks hard! :lol:

Thanx Selby, I'm glad you defended my honour on that one! :D

Hey Pai, would you've thought this things takes off like that? Isn't that friggin' amazing?! I sure love it. :mrgreen:

pai
11-02-2007, 04:21 AM
Nope. :shock: That's why I tried it in the first place. I'm so glad it turns out so much fun for everyone. :D

ENCHANTER
11-02-2007, 04:13 PM
:( ive been busy and missed this :(

they were all brilliant...well done Taron for starting this

:( i just spent an hour converting a pumpkin then AR crashed............

is it too late to submit a pumpkin nasty????????

Selby
11-12-2007, 01:39 PM
c'mon Enchanter dont tease present your punkin :wink:

Selby

Tigwa
07-18-2008, 01:10 PM
Lookin' thru the projects I just couldn't pass this one by ....
as my favorite holiday is ....... yep !

There is a baby pun'kin going to be ready for
the next person to give carving a try.

"Share A Smile"

D Akey
07-18-2008, 05:44 PM
That baby's so new that they haven't cut the umbilical cord.

I love it. Really seems to glow.

Taron
07-18-2008, 09:25 PM
Very cute! Makes me wonder if we bring this thread to life again in a few months... with "monsters" together we have now at least two good halloween threads, hehehe! :D

Great pumpkin baby! :o

Sketchism71
10-03-2009, 11:56 AM
Ok...I just noticed this thread... Absolutely amazing! I think I just found one of my next projects. Taron, where ya been? Miss ya!

Alexandra
10-16-2009, 12:01 PM
Glad you posted Sketch. Is this too old to post or upload on? Looks really cool.