PDA

View Full Version : Cold lava...

Taron
10-10-2007, 11:57 PM
OUCH MY EYES... the pain... I'm not sure if you can imagine the procedure of trying to focus on refractions and reflections to paint them as exact as possible, besides the whole contrast magic. You have to try to keep your head in the perfectly aligned position, otherwise the refractions and reflections will be different... so it's a constant back and forth between aligning head, staring at what I need to see, turning to the monitor and trying to capture it percisely... which is why it's not really percise, but who cares... kinda worked. So here we go...

Cold Lava:

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/files/lava_cold_113.jpg

_Lady_Art_
10-11-2007, 12:04 AM
so wonderful... :D it seems like real so much... :D How did you do that?which tools did you use on this work?

Taron
10-11-2007, 12:15 AM
Oh, didn't even say anything, yet. True... sorry!

I've used A WHOLE LOT of Oil crayon (or what is it called again?). It was the best tool to get smooth gradients and this image is full of them. Aside from that it's all the standarts oil brush for all the sharp work and in the beginning some roller for the wall.

I've used a ton of layers on this one. Practically every element is it's own layer, whereby I'd collapse them (merge down), when I was done. The glass in the forground has two layers, one for the basics and refractions and one for all the highlights and some reflections. The pole and the shadow of the pole are their own layers (which i moved around a little until it looked fine) and even the black box (which is my mackie designs mixer actually) is its own layer. The lava lamp had been split into 5 layers at some point before I collapsed it.

I never once had Dry off in the entire making of it. A lot of smudging, though with both soft and hard modes.

That's about it. I think it took almost 6 hours, whereby I spend the majority of the time with the glas (or at least that's what it felt like).

D Akey
10-11-2007, 12:26 AM
You sure got the surfaces down! Really good lighting.

I love lava lamps, though I don't think I ever owned one that worked right. I'm surprised you have it turned off. Either that, or you have my old one. Well, mine was red. I took mine apart to see what was in it and it never worked again. I'm handy that way.

:D :D :D

Taron
10-11-2007, 12:35 AM
Hahaha, I havn't had that one turned on for years! It's still from germany even and I'm in the US for almost 10 years. But I still have it close to me, which could be considered odd. I'm kinda too greedy, too, because it just sucks up power for no good reason, besides the whole heat thing. That in turn could be a good reason, if it was ever cold enough in California, hahaha....

Anyway, when they cool down the slowely but surely melt into two pieces, whereby the cap on top eventually falls down. This is what you're looking at here. If I turn it on it will eventually do this beautiful first BURST, creating this bizarrely beautiful stuff. I thought for a moment to let that happen, but eh... greedy and impatient! :P

I have a red one, too, actually... no idea where though, haha! :roll:

Thanks, by the way! :D

Rowena
10-11-2007, 12:53 AM
WOW Taron :shock:

This is a marvellous diplay of your prodigious painting skills. And then there is the fact that you are always so generous as to divulge your painting process and hand out tips to the eager-and-hungry-beginners (such as myself :wink: ).
For this I thank you kindly, because now rather than feeling thawted (by my own comparative ineptitude :oops: ) you encourage me to feel inspired instead!

And as for your splendid work Taron, I can only say "Bravo!"

Nika
10-11-2007, 04:01 AM
Great work on textures, lighting and reflections :)

screenpainter
10-11-2007, 08:18 AM
Ah, the stuff dreams are made of.
I dream that one day I may paint like this.
Or perhaps I could own the gallery where your
work is sold.
It is sublime work Taron!

AndyRage
10-11-2007, 08:59 AM
This is another gorgeous painting. Your attention to detail is phenomenal. It's fantastic the way you capture all the reflections and refractions of the glass.
I had a lava lamp but it got broken. Shame really, they're wonderful toys. I love the big brain-shaped ooze of wax when its first turned on as well.

Bumble
10-11-2007, 09:02 AM
Wow...you are truly wonderful at this :D :D

shirly
10-11-2007, 09:10 AM
wow and wow and another wow .......and finally again a wow......
beautiful one .......very good lighting :D

thanks for sharing :D

Taron
10-11-2007, 09:26 AM
Thank you all again, what a beautiful addicting set of reactions. :oops:

But here's a word of advice: Be careful with trying to capture those refractions and reflections. It looks really freaking bizarre and fascinating, once you're done, but the process, if you are trying to be accurate, is really, really painful and tedious and mean. So be warned. But it's a real kicker, once you're done. I'm having hopes, that one day I can just go ahead without much thinking and simply paint them.... no effort... no problem... no hurting eyes or blurry vision. HAHA.

Thanks everyone, really!

About that gallery, gz... 8)

Netti
10-11-2007, 09:44 AM
WOW

This is amazing! Very professional!..Jaw dropping..

Fantastic job!

jacktar51
10-11-2007, 10:10 AM
Hello TARON......Very Exceptional work here, I cant do still life Art, you have to be good at it or it doesnt work... you are great at it, I am not, If I havent got something worth going on with after about half an hour, I am into scrapping it off and doing something else, I guess you must be a very patient guy,Anyway very excellent stuff,top quality work, you should be both rich and famous by now...and if your not....sack your manager.... Jack.

scribbler
10-11-2007, 10:13 AM
Hi Taron, this is really really nice. Love the fluid (bad pun alert!) feel that the liquid in the glass has and just like how the whole image impacts on my central nervous system. Cool!

pai
10-11-2007, 10:18 AM
Hi Taron,

You did it again. Your paintings will make me cry. :lol: Just kidding, it's stunning to look at your work every time. It's just brilliant. When you mention tons of layers, that's how many? I have counted 10 layers. (or is it more?) (I knew you spent 6 hrs on this now) I still looking at your first two still life and you have come up these many.....I'm overwhelmed. :lol: :lol:

irishrose
10-11-2007, 12:12 PM
OMG, Just OMG... there is NO WAY I can imagine doing ANYTHING like that... now there are lots of people on this forum that I want to be when I grow up. I better hurry up, I'm getting old! LOL Great job, you should get an award or something for this one for sure... comeon ArtRage guys... he should get something! A free Tycho cat??

Khalid_ipda
10-11-2007, 11:59 PM
Amazing Taron!!!! I still thinking how do you make this painting like real with wonderful color. Great work.

sarjenius
10-13-2007, 08:41 AM
Stunning. Simply stunning. Thanks for sharing this amazing work.

ginem_ginem
10-13-2007, 08:49 AM
I love your work, Taron, it's very educative...
You're a great help....

tchello
03-30-2008, 07:11 AM
very realist draw
where i can find tutorial to draw that svp :oops:

Rain11
04-01-2008, 10:42 PM
Very Very beautiful Taron! I love it :D