PDA

View Full Version : juggler's break

Taron
10-08-2007, 02:06 AM
Ok, here's my second still life. This one has been a long, long, LOOOONG journey into details, which took me nearly the whole day. I think it may have been 8 hours, but that's at least how it feels.

Similar like the onions, this is under my desklight a shirt of mine, an original venician mask, my silly juggling balls and 16 tons of patience. Again, this is no photo reference but purely freehanding-pi times thumb- painting.

I've made a little pencil sketch first, trying to get the proportions of the mask right with some of the major ornaments. Then I spent some time with calibrating my brains to the light by painting the wall and trying to hit the colors as close as possible.

Then I took a long break...watched a movie... some coffee, some cigarettes and on to laying down the shapes with oil and playing with contrast and so forth. Oh yes, and fighting artrage's lovely color blending (ARGH). Although most of the painting is straight oil I have used some pencil and some crayon to beat the system, hehehe. But only at the end, actually and only for the cloth.

OH, you wonna see it, too...hmmm... ok. If anyone pulls my sleeve enough I'll put together a WIP with a buch of the states. I wanted to save them out to look at my own procedure later.

One more thing, it's the first time I painted at such large resolution (2300 x 1600). So I'm gonna make a crop for a bit of a closeup, although this is still not original resolution, but it kinda gives a better look at it.

JUGGLER's BREAK (a close up and the whole thing):

juggler's break tutorial (http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=71936#71936)

Peter Pinckney
10-08-2007, 02:13 AM
You took my breath away with this one Taron................I don't know what else to say except BRAVO!!!!!

musketyr
10-08-2007, 02:34 AM
incredible!

bugfix
10-08-2007, 02:41 AM
You make me crazy! *falling on the back an start to scream*

You are so talented. Having such abilities is a big gift! This one und UNBELIEVABLE good.

Take care of your talents, use them, train them and ever try to be a little bit better to have new goals - also as you've shown with this painting that you're on a very top place with your abilities!

Netti
10-08-2007, 02:43 AM
WoW! WHat an artist! This is amazing! ....wow...colors, shades, realistic, painted so well..!!
Amazing job!
I admire your work

screenpainter
10-08-2007, 02:50 AM
Holy Shitake!

That is a masterpiece Taron.
Just stunningly beautiful!

Nika
10-08-2007, 02:55 AM
Amazing :)

ginem_ginem
10-08-2007, 04:13 AM
It's a beaute...

Bumble
10-08-2007, 04:19 AM
Wow...............I'm stuck for words to describe how amazing this is Taron :D :lol: :lol:

RobertSWade
10-08-2007, 04:29 AM
I'm flabbergasted!!! I can hardlly believe what I'm seeing here. Did you have a head trauma recently that somehow kicked your brain into full-blown artistic genius mode? If not, why have you been holding out on us? This is just incredibly good.

Aunt_Betsy
10-08-2007, 04:33 AM
Dramatic! Stupendous! You never cease to amaze me!!! :D :D :D

Love the crackling on the mask, such attention to detail again. :D

D Akey
10-08-2007, 05:49 AM
Wow. It's perfect! :D :D :D

AndyRage
10-08-2007, 08:57 AM
Taron this is ... I dont have a superlative that does this painting justice. It takes my breath away.

First up - I like the scene you've set up. The jugglers balls in front of the mask with the lamp lighting is great- it just 'works'.

And then you've painted it. You've painted it with an eye for detail, lighting, textures - the passion you've put into the scene, the things you've seen and duplicated on the canvas... It's a master-class work.
This painting would be right at home if I found it hanging in the Auckland Art Museum. And I'd stop and stare at it with the same amazement and awe in the detail and vision in the painting.

When you've recovered from this painting and next find yourself in the mood to do another, is there any chance I could ask you to grab some 'painting in progress' screenshots?
I'm sure the other artists in the forum would just *love* to see a couple of the steps of your work unfolding.

Taron
10-08-2007, 12:38 PM
WIP posted:
http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=71936#71936

8)

D Akey
10-08-2007, 01:03 PM
WIP posted:

8)

Must have saved a lot of backups along the way to be able to piece it back together so thoroughly. It's awesome.

Taron
10-08-2007, 01:29 PM
Hahaha, ironically this is all there is. In fact I have left out nothing! It made me worry that there could be some redundancy in the tutorial, but every save had a significance to it after all.

I think there are one or two more things I could mention or much rather things I could emphasize. Like dealing with artrage itself, what brush settings, layer technique and so forth. One of the snapshot shows a dark splotch in the upper right corner, which is from a different layer, which I used as palette here and there. I could've saved the color to a swat, but I just now happen to think of that, hahahahaha....jeeez. Anyway, I'd here and there do some mixing on a separate layer, too, really using it like a "real" palette. Wish there was such a mixing palette as a choice for the color picker. I remember in the first version, how it was just transparent and you'd actually paint on the canvas, hahahaha, I thought that was so damn naughty and funny at the same time...hehehe... wild.

Man, do I write too much or what...crazy. Sorry. Thanks, D.! ;)

D Akey
10-08-2007, 02:52 PM
People would love to see brush settings and all that minutia. You're in an artist's forum, heh.

Pass the salt and we'd gobble it whole.

pai
10-08-2007, 03:00 PM
Hi Taron,

This's so amazing and beautiful still life painting. As Andy has stated, the staging of the objects and the lighting are fabulous. This will be my favorite one of yours. Thanks for sharing your WIP with us. :D

Taron
10-08-2007, 03:45 PM
Thanks, Pai, my pleasure, really! ;)

As for brush settings, the tough part is that I'm still rowing around with them and use them quite organically. It's also a matter of style when it comes to them. I'd wish that there was a way to control the amount of color blending, 16 bit and a different behavior for what happens to wet colors. Pick any two desaturated colors and blend them and you'll get a thick red or other evil side effects. However, here and there that is interesting, but it's more for stylized things. I find myself being happier about having things under some more control. Not that I was a total control freak, but I enjoy when the things that happen are somewhat predictable and favorable. Nonetheless, this does not deminish my love for artrage, really!

Again, for this painting I mostly stuck to dry on oil brush and varied between mid range thinner and 100% thinner. At the end I realized that there's some power in the oil crayon to get some smoother blends here and there that stick a bit more to the colors you'd anticipate. I've also used the pencil in precision mode, which really allows for some very controlled strokes! Very helpful and not to be underestimated. There's always a mild worry that this compromises the style, that the "oil feel" may go away, but when used with care I think it doesn't hurt at all.

Going back to some more "troubles" with how things work in AR, the oil brush strokes have a difficult handling at starting and ending a stroke. You really have to know and be content with the way they handle, but it often is a little rough. I also wish there was a shortcut to adjust the size of the brush with the pen like it is in Painter and openCanvas. It really increases the workflow dramatically as funny as that sounds. Sounds also like a rather "simple" piece of code for it, I'd imagine. But well... ...it would just be nice.

Hmm... i may be turning this into a "wishes for artrage" post, but while I'm at it. The stencils rock, the ability to make a layer, paint a mask and make it a stencil is great. If it now was possible to adjust the visibility of the stencil, that would really rock! I wished I could hide it, but still have it active or so, maybe just with a mild indication that it's still there... OR a shortcut you could hold down to make it visibly disappear but still be active. Anyway... ah yes, I used that ONCE in this painting, too, when I was working on the cloth right underneath the third ball on right side.

Thanks again and I'm off to do some doodling again, see what I've learned or so... :)

artragefanatic
10-08-2007, 08:40 PM
Amazing job Taron, such smooth blending!

EB
10-08-2007, 08:53 PM
:D :D :D :D :D

maror
10-08-2007, 09:37 PM
:shock: incredible!

Btw: Is realism a valid form of art? :twisted: Yeah i think it is!

Well done Taron!

Greez

D Akey
10-09-2007, 03:03 AM
Thanks for the expansion on your process. Good stuff to communicate. :D :D :D

Caesar
10-09-2007, 03:24 AM
Thank You for the new masterpiece d lighting our eyes and emotional engine and also for the very interesting explanations.
Actually this program offers such an enormous number of solution that You feel like that pianist of the movie who continued to live on a transatlantic cruiser from birthday to end because on the ground he should have played on too many keys (persons, emotions etc.)! Than You also for contribution to spot some drawbacks and for some suggestions for software improvement, in particular for colours mixing without unreal side effects.
In any case ArtRage is a real blessing for personal creativity and offers many possibility of use from very ambitious and hard challenges to very pleasant outcomes even without professional skills, provided You have time to make experiments, record them and plan a little bit on a reasonably good, flexible and recoverable painting procedure.
When all this comes together with a huge talent, then we have the privilege to see a Taron (or some other master's wonder)!!

jacktar51
10-09-2007, 04:45 AM
Taron....This painting is one of the best paintings that I have seen in the gallery for a long time,well done Taron....Jack.

Taron
10-09-2007, 06:06 AM
Thank you, Jack and everyone!

Ceasar, that's "Legend of 1900", I love that movie very much!

D. you're very welcome! ;)

EB :roll: :lol:

I'm very happy to share my experience as sharing those are my main reasons to be on a forum, reading and writing about discoveries, ideas, experiences. A forum is a great place for showing off stuff, but that shouldn't be the main purpose. We also shouldn't just want to learn things but also want to teach some, once that moment has come where we have something to share other than the image itself.

ENCHANTER
10-09-2007, 08:22 AM
befor i nick this for my desktop........

You are another master painter...........valued at da vinci level..........
brilliant :D :D :D

Lee
10-09-2007, 04:38 PM
Dear Taron, shoot me now!

pai
10-09-2007, 04:39 PM
:lol: I'll say the same thing. Lee! :lol: :lol:

Taron
10-09-2007, 05:25 PM
Haha, jeeez. I have a better idea!

Go through the tutorial and see if I have made any suggestions to what to start with!

(read B first) :lol:

A. Switch on your desklight, shine it against the wall and paint those colors. Try to match the transition from light to dark as well as the colors as exact as you can by looking back and forth between your monitor and the wall. Don't hesitate to spend 30 minutes with it!

B. Place an object, a simple one into your lighting situation (you might want to think of that earlier, that way you can keep your wall painting). I think an apple would be perfect or a tomato. If it still has a leaf, all the better! ;)

C. Now there are very different ways to go about doing the painting of your object, whereby you can either try to find an average medium color to fill your object in your painting with, or more traditionally paint with the shadow color of your object first. Don't use the darkest color, in case there's a leaf, but a color on the shadow side of your object. Try to hit it exactly and watch for the contrast to your wall. Make sure it feels right!

D. Put in the shaded colors, whereby you could simply find the brightest color BUT NOT THE HIGHLIGHT of your object. The highlight, in case you do not know, is the reflection of your lightsource on the object. Save this for last! It's a big payoff, really! Loads of fun. Again, make sure that you hit the color perfectly and watch for the contrast to the wall.

E. When you paint and even when you look at your object, try to visualize the shape it has. Let's say you have a tomato, realize in your minds eye the fact that it is a ball! Observe how the light hugs the ball. Squint and see if you recognize what you'd imagine when you look at your object. Let's rather use an apple, because apples are not so translucent. Tomato is very translucent and presents other challenges.

F. On the shadow side of your object try to distinguish between shade (absense of direct light) and bounce light that came back from your wall! Later you can put two objects into your scene and see how the light bounces off one onto the other. You may move the second object in and out and look at the first one to see what happens. It's interesting!

Last but not least, really try very, very hard to hit those colors exactly and to transfer the contrast ratio faithfully! It can be tedious or at least feel that way, but you'll learn so much!

Lee
10-09-2007, 05:37 PM
Dear Taron, thanks for the lesson, very much appreciate that you took the time, will keep trying,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Khalid_ipda
10-09-2007, 11:09 PM
The mask looking real. How did you do?

Taron
10-10-2007, 06:00 AM
Tutorial reminder:

(how did i do it!) :idea:

And here is a tip on reading threads, unless the thread is 300 posts tall, you might want to go backwards through it and see what has been written in it already! ;)