PDA

View Full Version : bringing tears to my eyes...

Taron
10-06-2007, 11:04 PM
(I posted this in my "lil' gallery" (http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=71479#71479) already, but here's the thing again):

Today I have FINALLY decided to paint something NOT from my imagination. I grabbed our basket of onions from the kitchen, placed it underneath my desklight and raged ahead.... oh my goodness it's tough. It didn't take all that long at around 1.5 hours, but the process of guessing the colors, the shading (recognizing the shapes for what they are and what light would do them, whilst observing what they look like) and all the contrasts where altogether a real hard nut to crack. I can't yet get up and hurl around with tips, because this is literally the first time in easily 18 years that I decided to do something like that... back then it was at school. It's also the first "still life" I've ever done... but... with no further a do... I shall bring you:

ONIONS (thanks Pai for the inspiration!) :wink:

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/files/onions_595.jpg

shirly
10-06-2007, 11:38 PM
amazing work ....this is indeedly a masterpiece :lol:

barnburner
10-06-2007, 11:40 PM
Really outstanding!

Taron
10-07-2007, 12:51 AM
Thanks, Shirly! Really sweet! :oops:

And thank you barnburner, I appreciate it!

It's really just the first run... more to come! :arrow:

screenpainter
10-07-2007, 12:59 AM
The lighting and the way you have expressed the forms are fantastic.
I can feel the smooth enamel on the collander...beautiful.
A really superb job of painting. The onions are fantastic.
I love how the holes in the collander
are actually paint on top but creating the perfect illusion.
Reminiscent of great painter's strokes in conveying the image without being worrisome about what the actual physical properties are. Just perfectly laid strokes. This painting is filled with many delights and much artistry.
And done from real life... you have a great eye for discerning.
You have a real treasure here. :D

samboga
10-07-2007, 01:07 AM
Great work, my favourite part is the holes in the collander.

Taron
10-07-2007, 01:12 AM
Wow, I'm ready to print your feedback and hang it on the wall before even considering to print the painting, haha! That's really, really mega-uplifting! I'm kinda speechless... :shock:

And brutally proud now, haha! Wait until I'm really happy with what I'm done, too! But don't hold your breath, please! :lol:

Needless to say that I'm excited now. I really just did what I thought was right and didn't even concern myself with the technique of painting. Often I find myself wondering about painting techniques, but when it actually happens and you simply want to paint something for the subject and the observation, then it's almost like the technique just falls into place.

Anyway...let me keep glowing for a little longer... feels beautiful! :oops:

Rowena
10-07-2007, 02:19 AM
Glow on... this painting is superb!

RobertSWade
10-07-2007, 02:25 AM
This needs more work???
I think it's fantastic already.

uuderzo
10-07-2007, 02:31 AM
I am amazed! I have no much words because I'm not an expert, but let me tell that I wish be able to paint like this!

musketyr
10-07-2007, 02:44 AM
agree with uuderzo. the onion nearly brings tears into my eyes, because I think I'll never be able to paint something as good as this picture is.

Aunt_Betsy
10-07-2007, 02:53 AM
This looks like a Master's piece to me! :D :D :D

The reality instead of what should be makes a great instead of a good.

Makes me want to grab my laptop and go outside to paint landscapes. :D

_Lady_Art_
10-07-2007, 03:03 AM
expressions are brillant... :) very well done... :)

bugfix
10-07-2007, 04:56 AM
wow - this is great!

David M
10-07-2007, 05:49 AM
What fantastic coloring! Really, really stellar work.

erwinsoo
10-07-2007, 07:38 AM
this is freakin good.. and very clever of you to put your initials on the base of the collander...

AndyRage
10-07-2007, 09:00 AM
As I said in the other thread about these - they're gorgeous. Your eye for detail, lighting, and the interplay of surfaces is brilliant.

EB
10-07-2007, 04:14 PM
I have to argee with everyone even though it undermines my egocentric nature. :D

pai
10-07-2007, 04:30 PM
Hi Taron,

That's stunning painting of still life. The onion texture is so excellent painted. I'm jealous. :D :D Mine should change it to "imagined still life". :lol: :lol:

Do you mind if I ask some of the setting in this painting, I'll really want to learn how to do it. Or do one again. I found out it's a good study. What's the original size of this painting, do you need to use layer of this and are you just using oil only. Thanks. :)

Taron
10-07-2007, 05:01 PM
Hey everyone, this is an overwhelming response, I have to say! I'm happy and scared at the same time... ...this is really just a study and such a beautiful response is so tempting to forget about the study aspect, really. However, since it has been my plan to make a whole number of these I am rather glad, though. It's my soul desire to get an understanding of paint, of color and of my own perception and recollection or transferrable interpretation, so to say.

Anyway, Pai, your reply asks for an answer and here we go:

It's 99% Oil (roller and brush) and about 10 strokes with the pencil for some fine lines at the last onion actually. The settings went all over the place, though, because I'm still figuring things out. However, I often used DRY ON, actually, because it's easier to stick to the colors you've chosen. If the paint's still wet, artrage is doing funky stuff that is very rarely desirable. I'm a bit angry about that, I have to say. It does here and there lead to curious results, but they have nothing to do with "reality" or even "desirability". I'm not sure what the method of "subtractive color mixing" is in the code, but it seems rather crude or oddly biased. Anyway, so if you want to reproduce colors that you have control over, keep Dry On. Thinner is mostly on half, but often goes into both directions as well. For finer "glazing" type of effects you just make the thinner full on. For replacing colors more brutally you just make it all thick (0 thinner). It sounds obvious, but here and there it's good to be reminded of that. I've done a little palette in the upper corner of the image, which is where I tried out the colors before I used them. Sounds totally weired I know, but it works great actually. The image is actually not much scaled down. Probably around 90% I think and I only did it for the forum display. It wasn't a creative choice to shrink it, you know. Some artists like to do that, paint really big and then scale it way down, but I'm often too lazy to paint really big. My new painting may become somewhat different. It's rather large, so we'll see how that goes... :D

There are a whole lot of observations that I would love to share with you, but I want to wait until I have a better fix on things to make sure I'm not telling you some nonsense, you know. Today, however, I realized what would be a fantastic exercise for everyone! It sounds really silly, but I'm telling you, this is a fantastic way to learn about colors as in what you're looking at in real life and how you translate it to the computer. It's an exercise for you and you alone, not one that requires sharing, because you won't have to proof nothing to nobody, just figure this out for yourself! The study goes: Shine a light on your wall in a decent angle and somewhat close, so that you do get a gradient. Then paint it! Try to hit the colors perfectly! I've made two splotches of color in the corner of my painting, which then function as palette. One color represents the bright area and the other one the dark area. Then paint your wall and make all the adjustments until you're getting a perfect result. It's far more complicated that one may think. Unless you're a brilliant color genius. Anyway, it's a study for yourself, because it's irrelevant to share it. You have to recognize it! I'd call that STEP ONE! (hopefully your monitor has a decent calibration, haha, mind sure hasn't, but who cares... you did like the onions after allm right!? ;) ) So yeah, great exercise.

What else, hmmmm.... hmm.... hm hm hm... ...I think that's a good start. My new painting could get a little insane. I'm afraid I'm reaching up a little too high for myself, but I'm trying. Great friggin' challenge, but hopefully you'll get to see what I mean in a short while. I'm really scared of this one...

Anyway, thanks again, everyone! You're my top-favorite critics, for sure! :D

RobertSWade
10-07-2007, 05:38 PM
I had to revisit this and add something to my earlier comments at the risk of your head getting so big it explodes. :)

Seriously, every once in awhile a painting shows up here that is truely remarkable. This is one of those paintings.

Were I you, I would hesitate to touch this one ... work it any further. But that's your choice.

heikki
10-07-2007, 06:22 PM
:) Fine painting Taron. :)

Taron
10-07-2007, 06:38 PM
Ah, Robert, haha, that's a misunderstanding, I have no intention to touch this anymore. I was referring to making a series of still lifes and real-life reference paintings. Sorry about that and THANK YOU! :o

That reminds me to the whole "Grab Laptop and go landscape painting"! That's a dream of mine for the last few years, actually. Particularely this year I've been eyeing that one and hopefully get to do it in the near future! My wife and I have already started putting the gear together in our mind for our trip. Umbrella, black cloth to block the sun for the laptop screen, new and better batteries and everything we need to make a beautiful picknic! :D 8)

Oh dear, oh dear, the painting I'm doing right now is really brutal... one of you out there may want to cross her/his fingers for me for a moment, hehe, because it's an easy one to want to abandon... tough stuff.

Thanks again, everyone!

pai
10-07-2007, 06:41 PM
Hi Taron,

Thanks for that detail explanation. You're very inspiration to me and this forum. I will need to read this many times. :D Maybe you forgot to tell me what's the original size of this painting. Thanks again.

Taron
10-08-2007, 01:52 AM
Haha... ok ok: 1150x 800y

But it's a crop, because I only used part of the canvas to paint. The entire canvas was 1680 x 1050. :wink:

Netti
10-08-2007, 02:51 AM
WOW!! Fantastic! This is one of the best still life paintings that I have seen on the forums yet. Amazing work!

Nika
10-08-2007, 03:00 AM
Excellent work :)

Bumble
10-08-2007, 03:54 AM
Absolutely Wonderful Taron...(I tried something similar to this a few weeks ago didn't post the result have to practice some more :oops:)This is amazing!!! Brilliant :D :D :D

Jim Walsh
10-08-2007, 04:01 AM
If I painted that in one year I would be so happy I would hang a print in my living room.

erwinsoo
10-08-2007, 04:10 AM
taron!.. how did you do those 2D sketches on your site?? :shock:

Taron
10-08-2007, 05:14 AM
I'm sure it's not too surprising that I'm running out of words as to how shocked I am about this overwhelming response... ...so, ehm, thank you all, this actually is beginning to bring tears to my eyes!

As for my daily sketches (long time ago) on my website, most of them were done with openCanvas, which had been a free software. Back then I didn't know ArtRage and when I learned about it first I couldn't quite handle it. Some of them were photoshop, but I did prefer OC for its simplicity. I havn't posted any Artrage paintings yet, which is weired, but I didn't have time to dink around with my website for a long time again.
I am assuming you were asking about the 2d paintings, right?

Anyway, I'm so pumped right now, but I need to recover a little from last night...eh...which isn't over yet ...bizarre, huh. Guess I should simply go sleep.

Again, thank you all so much! I'm really psyched about your reactions.