PDA

View Full Version : Selbys imagination station

Pages : [1] 2

Selby
05-31-2006, 03:56 PM
Hi All,
This is my second ArtRage work and Im having fun puddling and using every tool in the ArtRage toolbox

Selby

Fashmir
05-31-2006, 05:06 PM
Wow Selby. I can't tell if I'm in orbit or snuggled up to some mother of pearl, but I like it. Absolutley lovely colors.

cym
05-31-2006, 10:10 PM
I love your use of color. ArtRage is something else for just being able to experiment with tools and texture etc. Just imagine what kind of studio we would need to do these things in off computer!

ENCHANTER
06-01-2006, 05:40 AM
flying over some islands in the carriabean.....and heading for the sunset!

:)

Selby
06-01-2006, 05:10 PM
Thanks Guys :D

Fashmir- I hadnt seen it that way but i love your interpretations :) that one of the funest things about sketchy art that isnt too pinned down and people can see all kinds of stuff in it..besides its theraputic for me puddling with the prruty colours.Love the realism of pieces like your Mantis one too as they are so alive i expect he'll just jump off the screen into my lap at any moment..im not too good with realiam yet but with practice and people like you who share beautiful work to admire...:)

Cym thanks-and your so right about space, i love that factor of ArtRage and its also a time saver...dont always have time to get out all my real art gear and if i do it eats precious art time so artrage is ideal as i can just jump in and if i need to stop press 'save' and im done 'cleaning up' :)

Enchanter- yes thats very much what i was thinking tropical islands but to me it was sunrise...now you said sunset i think your right, they are more sunset colours.It isnt based on something ive actually seen like this but was inspired by a view off a tall hill (or small mountain) in Vanuatu where I and my husband went for our honeymoon in January and we could see one of the small islands off the coast of the big one we were on, meanwhile it was midday when we saw it..would have been terrific at sunset :)

florida girl
06-02-2006, 05:38 AM
Oh Selby!
I Lovvve your choice of colors! Bright & Cheerful...
Kind of reminds me of something Tuscan.
Very Expressive! Much like Fashmire's interpretation.... (Giggle).
Keep it Flowing!
KJT

ENCHANTER
06-02-2006, 08:38 AM
how romantic!...you should have stayed till sunset :wink:

Selby
06-06-2006, 05:40 PM
Hi all-this is quick go at one of my characters who often shows up on my birthday cards to family etc

This is my first digital go at her and shes ok but not quite how she usually appears :oops: this tablet drawing stuff is tricky to get used to -it helped a lot once I remembered Sweedies great suggestion to tape some paper to my tablet for the papery feel im used to.

Selby

Selby
06-06-2006, 05:41 PM
Enchanter-would have stayed till sunset if theyd let us :)

bleepnik
06-06-2006, 06:43 PM
Selby, I love the character!

- Gita

AndyRage
06-06-2006, 08:14 PM
Cool character - love the goggle glasses.

Fashmir
06-06-2006, 08:47 PM
So Selby... Is it you? She's cute.

ENCHANTER
06-07-2006, 08:20 AM
thats a cool looking lady character...got anymore stuff like that?

Selby
06-08-2006, 01:13 AM
thanks Gita :)

Andy-the goggle glasses are based on real glasses a friend had once-they weren’t *that* big but she was so small they seemed enormous

Fashmir-thanks..and the answer is 'yes' and 'no' and 'sometimes'-meaning sometimes i draw her and its me characterised and sometimes its just sposed to be a 'random girl' and sometimes when it *is* sposed to be a 'random girl' if I don’t concentrate enough I end up making her look like my character of me..cant help it it just happens*oops* this ones a lot like my 'me' one, but with bigger hair and goggle glasses

Enchanter-yep a few peices-not many though cause i usually draw them on the back of b'day cards I make and then their gone to whomever.I do have one or two and when I get a chance i'll scan em and put them here so you can see :)

Selby

tony
06-08-2006, 08:36 AM
:) Gosh Selby, love your puddling painting, the colours chosen are beautiful and have a calming effect, just like when one looks at an unusual summer sky at the end of a hectic day.As for the girl, I love the style and she is definitely very cute.Regards,Tony :)

Selby
06-09-2006, 05:30 PM
thanks tony :) I did have fun with my puddling one ill have to do another soon-it *was* really relaxing to do.

enchanter-since i cant find my 'real world' drawings of my characters right now here's another digital one while i keep looking <rummaging noises from behind big pile of papers in study>

Selby

ENCHANTER
06-09-2006, 05:49 PM
i like the squiggly hair and dangling ear rings :)

you could do one of those cartoon strips that you see in newspapers :)

bleepnik
06-09-2006, 06:05 PM
Selby, she is just too cute. Maybe you could add your character "family" to the family art project. =)

.g

Selby
06-11-2006, 01:59 AM
thanks G :) glad you liked em -- but they dont have bodies so their just umn ... floating heads not whole charachters like sweedies cool ones and the ones the others posted there :oops:

Selby

Selby
06-11-2006, 02:02 AM
thanks Enchanter :) ....meanwhile if they were in a newspaper style cartoon they'd probly need bodies and those would include hands and other scary/difficult bits to draw :shock:

Selby

ENCHANTER
06-11-2006, 08:59 AM
i know what you mean,

the head is perfect..you dont want to mess that up with something that doesnt fit,

but........maybe you could do a floaty head cartoon strip :)

Selby
06-11-2006, 07:54 PM
Enchanter-hehehe that sounds fun.... :) ...or ill just crop the scene really close so it looks like your too close to them to see anything but the heads :twisted: hehe yep i like it v.busy the next fortnight but after that im giving your idea a bat :)

samIambic
06-12-2006, 12:55 PM
Selby, thanks for sharing. The sunrise/set I found very powerful. Entracing. Almost disturbing in a curious way. (a good thing)! You do good puddles!

I agree with the comic strip thread with your great little characters. They look like they want to say something. You should let them. If you allow them, they may take you, kicking and screaming, where they want you to go.

Thanks, sam

Selby
06-13-2006, 05:52 PM
thanks Sam -
I agree with the comic strip thread with your great little characters. They look like they want to say something. You should let them. If you allow them, they may take you, kicking and screaming, where they want you to go. think I will let em take me...just hope they let me get home by naptime :wink:

you said

The sunrise/set I found very powerful. Entracing. Almost disturbing in a curious way. (a good thing)what did you mean? cause its realish but not realish at once?

Selby

samIambic
06-13-2006, 11:18 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much it. I'm talking gut reaction here, hard to pin down. And as you've said before, I think, different for each person. I just looked at it again and I guess it's the green in it that throws a wrench into my psychic gears. It's unnatural, in my experience of sunsets, and since I read it most definately as a sunset, it disturbs. Again in a good way. It's like a beautiful, appocolyptic sunset, or something. It's most definately a sunset I'd love to throw one of my dogs into in one of my drawings.

Thanks for calling me on this. It's good to try to figure out these feelings. I don't do it often, but I most definately, depend on them. Intuition. I just always go with it.

You know, for all the facility I see on this site, the incredible technique, there hasn't been that much that , well, bitch-slaps me, or head-butts, or shakes me up. Your sunset did. It's a good sunset.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely, sam

ingie01
06-14-2006, 05:41 AM
Selby, I had painting prof. (Ilya Bolotowsky) who encouraged his students to use colors in bold bright ways. The sunset would have made him smile!
http://www.artnet.com/artist/2735/ilya-bolotowsky.html

Selby
06-14-2006, 12:05 PM
To Ingie-thanks :) I loved your Professors work -I bet it was an inspiring class to be in.would love to have had a painting teacher like that. In highschool we had v.traditional stodgy ones and in uni we didnt do much painting more illustraion with pencil etc

To Sam- thanks for taking the time to further consider for me Sam -it did help a lot : ) I like to know why people like what they like. as it can help me improve my art-if I want to appeal to people in a certain way its good to know what worked for folks so i can use techniques or colour in a similar way to evoke what i want people to feel.

I like that my art surprised you its fun to do unexpected stuff in art sometimes and turn peoples expectations upside down.

The green to me was lush green islands so the green didn’t shock me...... but your right its *never* ever that colour at sunset-that’s what I love about art I can have midday coloured islands at sunset if I want to, to get the feeling I want to convey...actually a lot of my stuff is like that its about how it felt it was, not how it really was : )

Selby

samIambic
06-14-2006, 12:48 PM
Selby,

Yeah, one thing I've learned thru all this (my so called career as an "Artist"), is that you can never predict what people will feel or think. Especially if you're into any thing, in any way, ambiguous. I've heard the most outrageous things and eventually you grow to expect it and rather relish it. In the end you do it for you, first. I lost sight of that fact a number of years ago and crashed and burned because of it.

Don't think about it too much... Go with your gut. I think it's the straighter path to your heart or soul. Think about it too, only later. If at all.

Thanks for your comments on my other stuff. I'm really glad you liked it. I just got a dig. Cam. and will soon now get more stuff into my computer, then into p-bucket.

(Isn't it great fun talking to folks 1/2 way around the world about stuff? I still can't get over it.)

sam

Selby
06-20-2006, 02:21 PM
hello all- a tree 'puddle' for today

samIambic
06-20-2006, 02:52 PM
Hey Selby,

I like your tree. I'm especially fond of green. Can't stress enuf the importance of green to the human psyche. Your colors work really well with that background. One little thiing to try, maybe, is just a hint of a shadow under it?
Now I have a place I can come back to when I need a green fix.

Keep puddlin',
sam

ENCHANTER
06-21-2006, 05:53 AM
for some reason the green background makes focus on to the tree straight away..i guess if it was white ..that would be too harsh

nice puddlin tree :)

bearblue1
06-21-2006, 09:50 AM
:) A tree to rest in. I like it. :)

Fashmir
06-21-2006, 11:47 AM
I like your tree "puddle". I am in agreement with Sam about the importance of green, at least for me. It is a very sustaining hue.

Dickie
06-21-2006, 12:35 PM
Selby: The first image reminds me of a bird's eye view while flying over islands at dusk. I'm digging the oranges and purples in the sky.

You characters are really cool. They have a wonderfully distinct style. I'd love to see where you can go with adding bodies to them. The nice thing about them is they are loose, so you don't need to worry about being correct proportionately.

Just add another layer over them and have fun sketching ideas for different outfits. Don't compare yourself technically with anyone else. We all do our art for ourselves, in the end.

I KNOW you canf do this, as your character designs show us the gateway of your potential... :D

I really look forward to seeing more of your work...

But most of all, have fun...

Dickie

shan_85_newbie
06-21-2006, 02:24 PM
Hey Selby,
I love your characters. They r so cute! The simple lines and seemingly quick colour make them seem full of energy. Especially the one with the squiggly hair - she reminds me of my sister lol

Selby
06-21-2006, 11:48 PM
hi all :)
thanks Sam-hmmn a shadow hey? i usually avoid em cause they're tricky beasts but your right it would ground the tree so ill have a bat at one...besides who'm i kiding shadows wont get easier cause i dont practice them hey?

thanks enchanter- yep white probly would have been too harsh besides its cheery working on coloured backrounds, and i find them less intimidating than this big expanse of white looming at me saying "pristine white dont make a mistake eveyone will see" :)

bearblue- you can rest in or under the tree anytime :) its a good nap tree i find- quiet and with softly rustly leaves

Thanks Fashmir- your right about green-your mantis was green and it was very cheering to start the day with :D

Dickie-Glad you liked my islands but as for the other bit.....he..hehe...<cough splutter> draw charachters bodies :shock: with arms and hands and tricky stuff...eeeeeep im gonna go hide
no..ok im not it does scare me a lot though even when these charachters are handdrawn in traditional meadia(which i find easier than on a tablet) they rarely have bodies and if they do its almost always waist up...but i know<sigh> practice makes perfect so i shall try if you promise not to laugh too loudly.
its drawing cartoon bodies that sends me running ......the funny thing is ive done life drawing and i really liked it -it was good especially cause if i dont draw with something in front of me im a terror for drawing what i cant possibly see........like standing on the ground and <blush>:oops: drawing the roof of a building thats two stories tall or drawing a drinking cup how cups look in my head and not how a real cup is if you looked at one

shan-thanks glad you liked my peoples

Selby

ka
06-22-2006, 08:21 AM
dear selby thanks to have give me your"idea" about my barbie.of course she has a secret and you saw because you're a girl(lol)!!!your "supernova"is really sweet ,good technic.these
colors make me dreaming.see you soon ka(you can go to make paintings in space with artrage....)

samIambic
06-22-2006, 01:41 PM
Yeah, just use layers. That way you won't have to worry about the original. You can do as many as you want till you get one you like. And it doesn't have to be much either. Just a little hint can be enuf.

Later, Gater.

Selby
06-26-2006, 12:19 AM
Ka-thanks :D

Sam-heres a version of my tree with shadow attempt for your perusal-pesky shadow is giving me no end of trouble-it keeps looking like its standing up off the ground

Selby
06-26-2006, 12:21 AM
Hi All-A Salamander for warmpth

Selby

ENCHANTER
06-26-2006, 02:33 AM
looks like a fire salamander , found on anceint caves,. :)

Selby
06-26-2006, 09:55 AM
yep-those are the ones Enchanter.....and its like ones in books who get bigger and more powerful from fire and are magical

Selby

Fashmir
06-26-2006, 10:39 AM
That's a cool salamander Selby. Well... er... hot I guess. Anyway, I like it. I can almost hear magical music in the distance... is that a didjeridoo I hear? I thought I would give a hand on that shadow, I hope you don't mind as this is not the crits gallery.

I did a suggestion of what I might do with the shadow in pink on the ground and tried to show how I think about setting up shadows when I'm working. Hope it helps. Let me know if I can be of specific help.

Selby
06-26-2006, 01:53 PM
thanks Fashmir-glad you liked the cool hot salamander as for advice i need all the help i can get particularly with shadows and its an honour to have your help.....tried putting the shadow near where you did but it kept looking like it was bent up in the air how do i stop that? is it cause i didnt do it dark enough?
<sigh..off to try more>

Selby

bearblue1
06-26-2006, 04:10 PM
What a glorious salamander. *thumbs up!*

Fashmir
06-26-2006, 04:29 PM
I think part of it is that you have a line of color for ground that seems to indicate the tree is on the crest of a rise. This suggests an edge as though the horizon where right there. If you allow a little grass, bushes etc. to exist behind and above the tree it creates a sense of the ground continuing into the distance.

Selby
06-26-2006, 06:24 PM
thanks bearblue :)

Fashmir- :oops: ermm yes i see now....i do do ground under trees like this a lot( a bad hangover from the fact i often do a single simple object and no backgound or ground at all ) .. no wonder i often get left looking silly :) now i will go practice what you've shown me and have no more bent shadows :D thankyou for taking the time to show me this..so silly it all makes sense once you've shown me but up till then it never occured why things looked odd.

Selby

samIambic
06-27-2006, 12:05 PM
Selbyyy,

I feel a bit funny having opened this whole can of worms on you but you seem to be enjoying the help?!? Your tree was really quite nice as it was...

You've gotten some top notch advice already so I won't go there except to suggest perhaps setting up model on your table top with an object, a small table lamp with a lamp shade would sort of resemble a tree (turned off), but a coffee can or anything would do. and some sort of a light source behind your left shoulder, the more focused the better, like a clamp light or a goose neck to give a sharp shadow. You could change the angles of the light source as well as your view point and practice as much as you want on paper. It's hard as it's a perspective problem as well as a shading problem.

Or you could just take your sketchbook with you for a walk on a sunny day and check it out with a real tree which would probably be more fun.

Killer salamander, by the way. No shadow required here. It's very powerful, especially on that background. Heavy JuJu young lady.

sam

Selby
06-28-2006, 04:52 PM
no Sam its great :D dont feel funny- not nearly silly enough to think i know everything so im glad to have the advice of all comers especially honoured to have the time of art-masters like Fashmir and yourself.

glad you liked my salamander he was fun

and im off to go practice tree shadows :)

Selby

Selby
07-09-2006, 11:23 AM
Hi all,
its taken me a little bit to have a go at fixing my tree shadow and seeing as my brain is currently the texture of wet choclate pudding it didnt turn out quite how i wanted..... but its sure better than it was thanks to Sam and Fashmirs good advice so im closing the book on this tree for now and ill have a go a another one soon which will be better planned from the start

the other thing that is hurting my head is the huge colour shifts i keep getting between ArtRage and photoshop where i go to optimise for web- as you can see from my previous tree drawings which are the same painting i cant get anyconcistency and it makes my head hurt so i need to practice this more.

Selby

bearblue1
07-09-2006, 02:11 PM
Keep on truckin' Selby. I optimize via photoshop or micrographix picture publisher 8 (which I prefer). So I know what you mean. :)

It doesn't change that the tree is fun. :)

Aged P
07-09-2006, 09:20 PM
Hi Selby,

I think Sam is being a little obsessive. What kind of nut would go to all that trouble? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've had this around for years, it used to be a Lavender plant.

Selby
07-10-2006, 01:40 AM
hehehe ahh aged P you make me smile :) however as Ive a bunch of trees I can see just outside my study window at home :oops: ive really no excuse not to look at a real tree

Selby

ingie01
07-10-2006, 04:10 AM
Hi Selby,
This is great having all these free tutorials and pics to accompany. Probably should be placed in a tutorial thread?
It is really stimulating to have such a great bunch to help out.....

Selby
07-12-2006, 11:33 AM
mmn not a bad idea Ingie-but i dont want to move my gallery..maybe I should put a link from the tut area to here instead

Selby
07-12-2006, 11:39 AM
Hello all,
ok for todays puddles we have 'pudda' my cat ( short for pudding-which is what he looks like when full but his real name is Clarke for Clarke Kent given to him by the RSPCA shelter where i got him as a kitten they had found him dumped and said he was lucky to have survived the ordeal) looking mischevious after having awoken from a nap, and a imagined flower

Selby

ENCHANTER
07-12-2006, 01:15 PM
Pudda looks like he can cause a lot of trouble :D

Selby
07-12-2006, 01:29 PM
Hi Enchanter-oh yes loads of trouble...like the other day when he walked wet muddy paws over a book sitting on the dinner table which is to be a pressent for a friend...luckily the cover was shiny and the pawprints wiped off

Selby

Aged P
07-12-2006, 06:34 PM
You really captured Cattitude!
They are very literary minded creatures, books and helping you use a pen comes naturally to them. :lol:

Fashmir
07-12-2006, 07:08 PM
Selby- You are a treasure. I love the cat.

Selby
07-18-2006, 11:23 PM
thanks for stopping in Aged P and Fashmir :)

aged p- yes pud does like to help but he mostly like to help with warming my page by sitting on it rather than with the pen

Selby

Selby
07-19-2006, 12:16 AM
ok people its time for more puddling action- first of the rank we have dream tree and cloud sheep

Selby
07-19-2006, 12:19 AM
and also showing pudda..he is giving my husband and i a rude look the other day after falling off the lounge while asleap..just quietly i think he thinks we pushed him.

Selby

Prawnsushi
07-19-2006, 12:23 AM
lol nice cat :)

I have 2 of them who always look at me like that >_> dunno why, i don't push them from the couch that often :roll:

Edit : i like the cloud-sheep too, made me laugh :p It's something my girlfriend would paint too, she loves drawing simple and cute animals with a few strokes ^^

tony
07-19-2006, 12:23 AM
:) Hi Selby, I simply love your Puddling pictures, they have a unique style and simply give pleasure to the eye that produces a warm smile every time I look at them.Long live your Puddling works.Regards,Tony :)

Aged P
07-19-2006, 12:34 AM
Hi Selby,
I just love the way that cats immedately look round for someone else to blame. I've worked for people like that!
You captured half awake, indignation perfectly.

ENCHANTER
07-19-2006, 09:14 AM
i like the pudda one, he looks mighty p**d off :)

theyre really nice to you when they want something, but other times they get nasty for no reason !

thats cats for you :D

Selby
07-19-2006, 10:25 AM
Prawnsushi-yep i always admire the detailed work that others do butreally this gestural stuff is where i feel most comfortable..still trying to learn more detailed stuff too..you should encourage your girlfriend to post on here too would love to see her work.

Tony-thankyou :D now you made me smile too

Aged P- yep thats pudda he just toddles along happy till it doesnt go his way then he is all eagle eyed to find someone to blame...hes particularly bad at this when surprised when napping

enchanter-yes and the worst thing is if hes on my lap taking a nap and gets a fright i end up nipped as he is not awake enough to realise it wasnt me who scared him...like the other night when a louddog barked on tv and i got a nip before he ralised there was no imediate danger

Selby

DaveRage
07-20-2006, 05:45 PM
I love the fangs on the cat =)

bleepnik
07-24-2006, 03:16 PM
Pudda is great! I love the style and the expression. Very cute.

.g

Selby
09-27-2006, 11:20 AM
Hi all,
time for some new stuff-all just quick impressions.

Its that time of year for woodpidgeons and this is a quick impression of the one that keeps preening for his reflection in my window.

The dancer and fruit lady are just thoughts from my head,not correct proportions but im playing with gestural stuff and not worrying about being correct too much.

Selby

ENCHANTER
09-27-2006, 11:35 AM
i love the dancer, reminds me off a still from one of those free hand animations!

:D

maror
09-27-2006, 05:20 PM
yeah the dancer is great... like your unique simple style.
i think it's a typical women style, no men would draw like that. I can't tell what it is exactly but there is always somekind of softness and love in these pictures. Your very happy at the moment, right? :D

Greez

maror

Selby
09-28-2006, 09:22 AM
thanks Enchanter and Maror glad you like :)

and yep i am happy lots of good news just now, especially as my grandfather who was very ill in hospital made a rather amazing recovery and is doing great which is bound to make you chirpy

Selby

Selby
09-29-2006, 09:56 AM
For today we have tiger lillies

just painted from my mind and not very correct but im working on loosening up my style,and getting ok with the slippriness of oils and then ill work with refrences to get the correct lighting etc later

Selby

ENCHANTER
09-29-2006, 11:22 AM
some people can paint flowers others struggle,

youre a natural! :)

Selby
09-29-2006, 04:12 PM
thanks enchanter-i still want to learn to do more realistic ones eventually though..its not my natural style but it would be nice to do it if i wanted

waheednasir
09-29-2006, 04:21 PM
these are some nice pieces selby...all of them, i like the variety that uve shared. i esp like the dreamtree...it got a very nice feel to it. very well treated, with interesting palette.

good work...:).

Selby
09-29-2006, 04:43 PM
thanks waheed...im sttill playing finding my own style...its easy to get disapointed if i think i cant do realism like so and so but i need to remember that playfull is something i do well :)

Selby

Selby
10-01-2006, 11:13 PM
Hi All,
this is an impression of a bonsai i have that is flowering at the moment ...in the next few days i want to take a photo of it and work from that to get a different take on it

Selby

Fashmir
10-01-2006, 11:33 PM
Oooh nice bonsai Selby! I also love the cloud sheep, the dancer and the fruit lady. I've missed so much being so busy. I must slow my life down a little more often. Thanks sis from down under for the restful and uplifting gallery.

Selby
10-03-2006, 05:39 PM
thanks big brother Fashmir :) its nice to be a litte part of what makes this place nice.

Selby

Selby
10-03-2006, 05:40 PM
ok another shot at the bonsai just from my mind still

Selby

ENCHANTER
10-03-2006, 07:51 PM
i like the twisted roots of the first bonsai, and the second oone looks like a island in the sea with one tree on :D

samIambic
10-03-2006, 09:17 PM
Hey Selby,

It's been a long time since I caught up with your wonderful puddles. Always a great joy. There are so many new posts and members that if you don't check the Forums often things get pushed down the page. I greatly admire your variety. Dancers, pigeons, bonsai, all done with such great love and panache.
You made my morning, I can start my work day with a smile. Thanks.

XOXO,
sam...

Selby
10-04-2006, 09:54 AM
Hi Enchanter...yes the first bonsai is more what its really like as you'll see when i do the work from photo in a few days but the second was just a fun playtime :)

Thanks Sam :D glad I made you smile. THats why i often start my morning here too...walking amoungst all the great art is a great start to the day I find

Selby

Selby
10-13-2006, 02:55 PM
Hey Enchanter...you know how ages ago i said id have a look for some of my real world drawings of my character but couldnt find them at the time?.....well this is them

sorry they're so small but this is the actuall size of them

Selby

D Akey
10-13-2006, 03:23 PM
That middle one is brilliant - using the curve of the bottom of your skirt as if in Da Vinci mode. . . not quite as stiff as his pic of the human body in a circle. Very much the anatomy of a free spirit.

The characters are fun. When did you do these?

Selby
10-13-2006, 06:35 PM
thanks D Akey :D these were for a uni assignment about a year ago...actually no it must be closer to two -its was about time and you had to show a weekend in your life so i did a series of images and bound them in a little fold out book

Selby

ENCHANTER
10-13-2006, 08:53 PM
very cool selby, you do have a good cartoon style............i like the puddle and me one :)

i wish one of my uni assignments was just to draw my weekend :)

speggie
10-14-2006, 03:57 AM
sweet stuff selby really like the way your holding puddle made me laff.......cool little sketches .......

Aged P
10-14-2006, 08:03 AM
Hi Selby,

Try doing some flowers with a darkish background using the new mega thinners paint Brush. It could be your thing.

Phil

Selby
10-14-2006, 10:24 AM
Thanks Enchanter :D ...yes it was a fun assignment but also hard cause it was so open.we actually had pretty creative lecturers so we had a lot of fun assignments.meanwhile just think of all the fun assignments you'll be able to set your kids when you graduate :D

Hey Speggie :D glad you liked-i do try and do funny ones when i do my little sketches

ok Aged P super thin oil paint flowers and dark background coming right up :)

Selby

ENCHANTER
10-14-2006, 11:11 AM
I and my brother inlaw (whos already a primary school teacher) were discussing how the kids would be amazed how a certain mint dropped into a bottle of soft drink witha hole in the cap, will produce a 20ft fountain .....cant wait to try that !! :D :D

Selby
10-14-2006, 07:41 PM
what?? :shock: thats so cool! now i need to go buy soda...and mints...lotsa kinds of mints

Selby

Aged P
10-14-2006, 07:41 PM
Hi Enchanter and Selby,

I urgently require more details of Enchanter's process.
Just one suitable peppermint?
Hole in the top? Pulling the opener back slightly?

You may think this is just for the tinies, but my granddaughter in the 6th form could get a lot of cred for something so cool! :lol:

Phil

Fashmir
10-14-2006, 08:12 PM
...I urgently require more details of Enchanter's process.
Just one suitable peppermint?
Hole in the top? Pulling the opener back slightly?

Ooooh! me too! me too!

You may think this is just for the tinies, but my granddaughter in the 6th form could get a lot of cred for something so cool! :lol:

Not to mention it's probably the most healty use for soda pop. :wink:

Selby- I love the pic of you holding puddles. It works well after the carpe deium image too- Carpe Kitty!

Selby
10-15-2006, 09:59 AM
thanks fashmir :D

florida girl
10-15-2006, 10:20 AM
Well I'm investing in the soda pop & Mints....
I expect an all time high in the market. :idea:

Kind Regards,
Florida Girl 8)

ENCHANTER
10-15-2006, 10:41 AM
Woah...hold on to your hosses boys and girls.......this experiment is dangerous, person near soda bottle should wear goggles, and then.........................RUN...RUN......as fast as you can! :D :D :D :D

ps. the smaller the pierced hole the higher the fountain apparently .... :D :D :D ........

physics lesson for today :D

Selby
10-15-2006, 06:52 PM
hello all
have given Aged Ps suggestion of super thinned oils and flowers on dark backgrouds a go and hes right :!: they are super fun :D ..so heres what i've been playing with..

Selby

maror
10-16-2006, 12:22 AM
the second one is awesome..could be a design for a package...
i bet your fall in love with thinners...as i do :wink:

greez

ENCHANTER
10-16-2006, 07:28 AM
fav has to be glow floweres :)

D Akey
10-16-2006, 08:16 AM
I'm with Maror. That second one really feels finished.

Delightful, as always, Selby.

Fashmir
10-16-2006, 08:56 AM
Glowflowers here too as a favorite. The new tools are so yumshous!

bearblue1
10-16-2006, 10:34 AM
Those are some wonderful images Selby! Thank you. :)

Selby
10-16-2006, 12:51 PM
gosh thanks everyone :D
i actually liked the lilly best myself but you all and my husband out vote me :) meanwhile i can see why the graphic style of the second one is my strong suit

Selby

Selby
10-17-2006, 10:33 AM
for today we have some peoples :D

Selby

D Akey
10-17-2006, 10:46 AM
Hahah. I expect to read captions as in a cartoon from the New Yorker or something. Like I would expect characters from Sex In The City to be drawn.

Love the hair styles. I know these peoples.

Selby
10-17-2006, 10:59 AM
thanks D Akey :D am working on drawing them more proficiently and then id love to make a little comic with them...just for me-dont know if id be brave enough to show anyone else

Selby

bleepnik
10-17-2006, 02:52 PM
Well okay, you don't have show them. But you have to show me. So there. And I'm still waiting for some sort of merchandise with your characters on them. I recall you saying something about not being able to market disembodied heads (well okay, I might be paraphrasing with some creative license there), but your characters are too perfect not to be on something. Like 7-day magnets for the fridge. You pick the face that best depicts how you're feeling and use it throughout the day or something. It would totally sell, and it only needs heads. =)

ENCHANTER
10-18-2006, 07:17 AM
oh i remember this, we were eggin you to go and do cartoon strips :D

maror
10-18-2006, 09:40 AM
oh yes we are....the first artrage comic is yours selby, be honored!
first monthly then weekly and ... then....ask a magazine to print them...make money get rich and famous.... :wink: (i call that smalltalk :D )

greez

Aged P
10-18-2006, 09:49 AM
Hi Selby,

Get some printable gloss magnetic backed paper and see what they look like on the fridge.

Phil

Selby
10-18-2006, 12:14 PM
thanks guys :D

Gita- well you could always print them and put on your fridge :)

AgedP- i wouldnt even know where to get such a thing here...never seen or heard of it...might have to do some digging...and it really goes through the printer?

Selby

bleepnik
10-19-2006, 12:41 AM
Aye (http://www.labelgear.com/LG/Product.asp?ProdCode=84313-1). Most office supply or specialty paper shops should have it, or a service bureau like VistaPrint (http://www.vistaprint.co.uk/vp/ns/splash/multi_magnet.aspx?xnav=TsrItem&xnid=aMagnetsMarketingPromotion&dng=102200) could do the whole jobby as well.

.g

Rkngel
10-19-2006, 05:16 AM
Selby-

Have you seen http://www.cafepress.com/cp/customize/

You can upload your images and they can put them on a wide variety of things..t-shirts, caps, mugs, calendars, hats and alot more.
You can even set up your own little business selling your products through them. No minimum order amounts and they have international shipping.

Aged P
10-19-2006, 05:51 AM
http://www.hobbyco.com.au/product/show_item.php?plu=JCLM1630

Hi Selby,

As you rightly said, not so easy to find in Australia. :roll:
We can buy it over the counter or from lots of on-line outlets.

Phil

.................................................. ........................
Late discovery!
http://www.hobbyco.com.au/miscellaneous/location.php?

Selby
10-19-2006, 03:04 PM
hhmn thanks guys...will have to scout about and see what i can find

AgedP-yes but thats what i get for living upside down :wink:

Selby

Rkngel
10-19-2006, 03:24 PM
yes but thats what i get for living upside down

Well the advantage is that when the world goes topsy turvy you are looking at it as normal :wink: [/quote]

Selby
10-21-2006, 12:10 AM
Rkngel-hehe

Hi All-This is what i saw as i dropped my husband off at work today a mum and dad duck and their little ducklings out for a brekkie stroll.

Selby

D Akey
10-21-2006, 12:19 AM
Ever read the old classic children's book 'Make Way For Ducklings'? 1950s?

The author, himself a rather enthusiastic artist who preferred to sketch from life, drove out to the country, bought a bunch of duckies and kept them in his apartment in Manhattan to use as models.

You don't now have these duckies wading around in your bathtub, do you?

These are good enough to have been drawn from poses.

Surprise your husbandman with some new additions.

Quack. Quack!

:lol:

Selby
10-21-2006, 12:25 AM
Havent heard of that book but...hehe no none in bath :D just as well...our landlord would have a fit :roll:

they were super cute though and thats why they stuck in my mind so well...was a rather funny sight too as he works in an office in an industrial estate....alll this industry and a family of little duckies right in the midst of it all.

Selby

Fashmir
10-21-2006, 05:09 AM
They look so cute and chocolatey. :)

ENCHANTER
10-22-2006, 07:14 AM
YEH CUTE AND CHOCLATELY MMMMMM....CHOCOLATE........... :shock:

good sketch, :)

Rkngel
10-23-2006, 03:15 AM
Hey Selby..you should think of designing scrapbook pages. Here in the states the scrapbook hobby is pretty big and people are always looking for new designs for the pages.

http://www.scrapbookingtop50.com/

Your work would translate well (in my opinion)

Selby
10-23-2006, 11:38 AM
Fashmir-thanks :D ..yes they're native a woodland sort which is why they're so chocolaty

Enchanter-really just trust me on this restist the temptation to lick one you'll be very dissapointed and full of feathers and marsh mud. :wink: .. .glad you liked

Rkngel-thanks :) that would be cool... scrapbooking is getting pretty crazily poular here too...even my groceryshop has a scrapboooking section in amidst all the vegies and washingpowder and so on.

Selby

Jules
10-24-2006, 04:27 AM
I love pudnme Selby its a cute little cartoon :D

Selby
10-24-2006, 10:32 AM
thanks jules :D

Selby
11-01-2006, 04:28 AM
3 new puddles
-reverseflower was made with the eraser into metallic paint

-leaf is an experiment in duplicating layers

-and falls is inspired by the fact a good friend of mine is off exploring in the jungles of Peru at the moment

Selby

florida girl
11-01-2006, 05:12 AM
Selby, You have a good eye and sense for color. I love your watercolor of the Falls and your reverse Flower. Very fresh & carefree.

Kind Regards,
Florida Girl 8)

Rkngel
11-01-2006, 05:43 AM
I really like the leaf!
You must have so much fun painting things....I have to remind myself that I love doing it sometimes :roll:

ENCHANTER
11-01-2006, 07:02 AM
i like the bubbling brook, that goes into the forest, cool! :D

speggie
11-01-2006, 08:07 AM
great new images selby love the middle one the leaf .......somebody must have been hungry ........eh?

Peter Pinckney
11-01-2006, 09:05 AM
Hi Selby,

I've just been through the whole of this thread and your paintings and I'm struck by your ability to say everything you need to in the simplest way...................I write music/songs and I've come to realise that less is more...................I am probably in the minority but I like your tree without any shadow ............and pudda....and and and all of them...........lovely work

Best to you
Peter

Selby
11-01-2006, 09:50 AM
thanks guys :)

thanks FG- :) its nice to have compliments from someone so good at that stuff too

Rkngel-yep i do..but i still get frustrated at times when i want to be flowy and im too stressed so the lines come out all tight and angular at the wrong moment....that and i want to be more detaied than i am sometimes :? :)

thanks Enchanter :D

thanks speggie....yep that or sometimes the sun is so hot in summer here that dew left on a leaf can burn a hole right through it...but im with you id bet on a chompish feeling catterpillar :)

thanks Peter :) -actually its kinda funny i do it without meaning to...if i dont concentrate on painting another way i do just seem to pare it right back.

Selby

DaveRage
11-01-2006, 12:07 PM
This thread is a real inspiration. It's great how you've experimented with so many effects and techniques in your art, looks like you've had some real fun with these!

Selby
11-01-2006, 01:06 PM
Thanks Dave :D yes i have had fun playing...thats the best bit about artrage...it dosent get in the way of your art

Selby

maror
11-01-2006, 07:24 PM
we can see, we can see!

all pictures have a good flow in it... love the forest and the leaf (or the rest of it :wink: )! Great watercolor effect!

Wish you some more fun....

maror

Selby
11-01-2006, 11:18 PM
thanks Maror :D

another three quick puddles..playtime playtime

Selby

Levent Suberk
11-01-2006, 11:38 PM
Dear Selby, I look again and again some of your paintings, they are very beautiful and nice and well suits with your quote, "I like to have a thing suggested rather than told in full. When every detail is given, the mind rests satisfied, and the imagination loses the desire to use its own wings." What a beautiful imagination you have.

maror
11-02-2006, 12:49 AM
Dear Selby, I look again and again some of your paintings, they are very beautiful and nice and well suits with your quote, "I like to have a thing suggested rather than told in full. When every detail is given, the mind rests satisfied, and the imagination loses the desire to use its own wings." What a beautiful imagination you have.

Yes that's absolutely correct....but hard to find the right way between more or less details when your works are for a special kind of people (advertising, commercial art, flyer etc..). The people with a great imagination like less details and it's very funny to hear what they imagine, in the best ways you can get new idea for futher work.
And there are the ownes with less imagination (in fact there are more and more such people i think :cry: ) wich likes when everything is detailed and telled! For my opinion it's the worst chase when you must explain a picture to someone!

Greez

Selby
11-02-2006, 12:44 PM
thanks Levent and Maror :D I have lots of fun making my work but its really nice when other people like it too

Selby

florida girl
11-02-2006, 02:20 PM
The Butterfly ~ Love it!
The Fern ~ Super Duper Love it!
The Star Fish ~ Gets 5 Stars ~ Great Stuff Selby! :D

Kind Regards,
Florida Girl 8)

D Akey
11-02-2006, 02:57 PM
Nice Selby. Fabric is calling you home.

I look at your stuff and think how much bang for the buck you could deliver. Two color jobs, three, etc would be child's play for a designer like yourself.

It's an art to make limitations look like the best choice, rather than a limitation.

Not that you necessarily make it that way, but I can see you could.

Lovely designs.

Selby
11-02-2006, 03:38 PM
Thanks FG :D -five stars from you is a fantastic compliment

thanks DAkey-the funny thing is its often on the most open breifs that i find im most self limiting and on very limited breifs i find im bucking things in my mind and desperate for that extra colour im not allowed...go figure hey :) maybe its a case of going to the right answer more easily when i feel im most free to do that....funny you said about fabric i was thinking when i was doing the fern it would make a good beadspread :)

Selby

Selby
11-06-2006, 06:50 PM
Hello all, :D anemonea and a fish that would probly be a goldfish if he werent so greenish.

Selby

ENCHANTER
11-07-2006, 11:27 AM
OOOOHHHHHhhhhh, let me get this right its a sea anemmeeaneee...no no...a sea anamoneeeeeeeeeee.......nnneeeee........... oh $%^&.its one of those wavy tentacaly things... :D .....nicely done

D Akey
11-07-2006, 11:35 AM
With that sweet anenome in that charming fixer-upper house.

Maybe a little coral - a little reef (as opposed to grass lest the change in terrain give it a different connotation). i.e. a change in shape and/or color of that mound might do it a world of good for its real estate value.

:roll:

Jules
11-07-2006, 12:21 PM
Selby I love the way you experiment with this software, super work, you look like your having lots of fun. Your work has a feminine element. 8)

Selby
11-07-2006, 01:02 PM
thanks enchanter-glad you like the wavy tentacaly thing :)

Hey DAkey-you might be right there its all location location as they say

Hi Jules-yes am having fun if getting frustrated at sometimes when things dont quite go as planned..but sometimes i have happy accidents too and thats always a good thing

Selby

jacktar51
11-08-2006, 05:01 AM
Selby...Judging by all this very colourful Artwork...I would say that your house is full of colour...makes me wonder what clour are your curtains????nice colourful paintings' .....Selby... Well done... Jack.

Levent Suberk
11-08-2006, 07:20 AM
ENCHANTER

OOOOHHHHHhhhhh, let me get this right its a sea anemmeeaneee...no no...a sea anamoneeeeeeeeeee.......nnneeeee........... oh $%^&.its one of those wavy tentacaly things...

Hah haaaaaaaa, you enchanter, you dear enchanter..... I'm laughing to death...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I almost forgot to say, dear Selby, very good works.

Selby
11-08-2006, 09:27 AM
thanks Jack :D ...sadly as my husband and i are still renting my 'curtains' are rather boring pinkishbeige vertical blinds...sad i know but the owner is very strict...maybe at our next house we will get to have rainbowcoloured ones :wink: maybe thats why my paintings are so colourful too make up for boring curtains

thanks Levent :D

Selby

Selby
12-17-2006, 02:44 PM
havent painted for ages and i can feel it :cry: ..a couple of quick ones to practice and get in some chrissie ones while theres still time

Selby

D Akey
12-17-2006, 03:44 PM
I would have thought your Aussie angel would be in a summer dress and all shiny and smelling of tanning butter.

Nice drawings. Candle with the holly is very festive. Got me thinking of making some eggnog. Hmmm. Oh crud. . . I feel a song welling up inside, and not a chorus to be had. . .

Selby
12-17-2006, 05:51 PM
yes your probly right DAkey if she were an proper aussie one she would be but shes based off an englishy one thats topping the chrissie tree this year...bit of a funny thing that most aussies still have very traditional european looking trees and decorations but for the rest of chrissie as in food and activities were now moving on to much more sensible chrrisie dinners for our climate like prawns and a bbq rather than trying to do the big roast dinner in the boiling heat. :D makes for some funny chrissie photos..big decked out tree in the background and everyone hanging round in swimmers eating steak n salad off plastic plates in front

Selby

Rkngel
12-17-2006, 06:14 PM
I REALLY want to visit there during Christmas...it seems such a juxtaposition with summer and Santa.
Of all the continents on my list to tour, Australia is number 1. I love your accents, beer, outlook on life and you have the most beautiful and enchanting women there (I'm told by the wife that the fellas are pretty easy on the eyes too :P )

Selby
12-18-2006, 09:18 AM
hi Rkngel..its a funny thing isnt it...cause i want to have a white christmass one year filled with egg nog and other traditional chrissie stuff like snow angels :D

Selby

Rkngel
12-18-2006, 10:02 AM
hi Rkngel..its a funny thing isnt it...cause i want to have a white christmass one year filled with egg nog and other traditional chrissie stuff like snow angels :D

Selby

Well we could always trade homes for the holidays next year :lol:

jacktar51
12-18-2006, 11:20 AM
Has anyone noticed the very strong similarity between Selby's Avatar and RKNgel's Avatar,are you distantly related in some way????nice christmas drawings there SElby, nice to see that your keeping your hand in.... Jack.

Rkngel
12-18-2006, 12:07 PM
Has anyone noticed the very strong similarity between Selby's Avatar and RKNgel's Avatar,are you distantly related in some way????nice christmas drawings there SElby, nice to see that your keeping your hand in.... Jack.

Oh my gosh! The poses are quite alike and the angle is dead on :shock:
I never really noticed till you said something.
That picture was taken at my wedding over 2 years ago..that is weird!!

Selby
12-18-2006, 12:24 PM
actually that is pretty funny..my photo was taken about two years ago for a graduation web exhibition for uni...maybe its a Artragers unite thing:D

Selby

bearblue1
12-20-2006, 10:14 AM
I just wanted to say: Selby, you are inspirational.

Selby
12-20-2006, 11:19 AM
thanks bearblue :D thats a lovely compliment and a great thought to brighten my day.

Selby

Selby
12-21-2006, 12:05 PM
An aussie beach angel...as inspired by DAkey :D

shes got her thongs(flipflops) on and her esky full of cold drinks and with her hat on and beach towell under her arm shes ready for an aussie beach chrissie

Selby

bearblue1
12-21-2006, 12:17 PM
I like it. :)

D Akey
12-21-2006, 05:20 PM
Hahaha!! Selby, now that's what I call peachy Christmas gear.

I wanna BBQ!

Selby
12-21-2006, 06:03 PM
thanks Bearblue :D
and thanks D Akey :D

Selby

Bumble
12-21-2006, 09:50 PM
Wonderful Selby :D

drakeblake
12-22-2006, 08:42 AM
Very fresh and spontaneous, Selby.
I like your colour combination and i'm a bit jealous about that... 'cause, after so many years working into advertising, i lost most of my straightness.
Your drawings are essential and Xtremely communicative with a bit of feminine good mood. :wink:

DB

P.S.
Sorry for my rough english...:oops: perhaps it could be understood (with some efforts...). 8)

Selby
12-22-2006, 09:10 AM
thanks bumble :D

and thanks DB..it nice to know that others like my work..sometimes i feel maybe im too relaxed with colours and lines ..then i remind myself that being different can be good as it adds variety and intrest to life :D

ps your english is great and i understand it easily

Selby

ENCHANTER
12-22-2006, 10:54 AM
cool, as are your cartoons always
:D

shan_85_newbie
12-22-2006, 03:10 PM
hahaha love the angel selby. i can see her wondering down newcastle beach looking for a good spot to set up

Selby
12-23-2006, 12:48 AM
thanks enchanter :D

thanks shan..yep i reckon she'd set up somewhere near there :D

Selby

Levent Suberk
12-23-2006, 02:21 AM
Very good one, dear Selby. :D

Selby
12-23-2006, 09:37 AM
thanks Levent glad you like :D

Selby

Selby
12-25-2006, 01:59 AM
Hi Guys...last rage before christmass...its 11.57pm christmass eve here :D

Selby

Selby
01-17-2007, 05:56 PM
well the bonsai i was going to paint a while back died after being housesat....but now seems to be making a recovery...so while i give it a chance to get a few more leaves...two new puddles

flower and eye to eye with a fire dragon

Selby

AndyRage
01-17-2007, 10:21 PM
'Flower' is awesome. Excellent style. It flows nicely.

maror
01-18-2007, 12:34 AM
i like your soft and free style.... that's what i cal paint just from heart!

Great one....

greez

jacktar51
01-18-2007, 12:55 AM
I said a long time ago, that you like to have bright clear colours,in your pictures.....But not on your curtains as I recall.. nice pictures Selby,and yes you do have your very own style......Jack.

Selby
01-18-2007, 01:02 AM
thanks Andy, Maror, and Jack :D ..glad you like

Selby

Levent Suberk
01-18-2007, 01:23 AM
Flower and dragoneye are excellent and others are very good, dear Selby,

Selby
01-18-2007, 10:40 AM

Selby

Selby
01-18-2007, 11:25 AM
Pudda taking a nap :D

Selby

D Akey
01-18-2007, 12:09 PM
Does she usually start out with 30 second poses, work up to 2 min, then 5 min, finally to 15?

What are her rates?

I've been looking about finding a good life model again. Haven't sketched from a model in a while. Brings back the smell of turps and dusty conte crayon.

Selby
01-18-2007, 06:37 PM
actually he can be a bit troublesome as a model...sudenly gets tired of a pose after looking like he could stay for hours...however after dinner hes pretty good....meanwhile thats what you get with muses isnt it? they can be most capricious :D rates are good though..one small fish dinner and as many poses as youd like till bedtime

it is good sketching form life though...i do really do much better that way..am attempting in my real world sketchbook to sketch at least one thing a day to try and get both better and quicker

Selby

ingie01
01-19-2007, 12:40 AM
Selby,
Since I became a member I have seen your work improve a lot! The cat drawing really got me. Takes up the overall space of the rectangle and the contour approach is good.

Levent Suberk
01-19-2007, 02:12 AM
Dear Selby, you caught the moment. :D

Selby
01-20-2007, 07:25 PM
thanks ingie and Levent :D

Selby
01-20-2007, 07:27 PM
two more pictures of the pud for drawing practice :D

Selby

D Akey
01-20-2007, 08:54 PM
Hahaha. Well toss him a fish.

He's been working!

Selby
01-20-2007, 09:10 PM
yes he has...twas too hot for him to run and play in the garden so he made a good subject :D

Selby

Selby
01-20-2007, 09:11 PM
flower of sorts...somewhere between a rose a chrysanthemum and my imagniation :D

Selby

alanti
01-20-2007, 09:29 PM
flower of sorts...somewhere between a rose a chrysanthemum and my imagniation :D

Selby

So that would be a Roseantheumagination then :lol:

Nice one Selby :)

alanti

ENCHANTER
01-21-2007, 04:34 AM
i love your puda sketches!

the furball looks great and naughty as always

;)

Selby
01-21-2007, 03:50 PM
So that would be a Roseantheumagination then :lol:

alanti
ahh so you know it too Alanti :wink: :D

thanks Enchanter -puds always up to misheif as is good and proper

Selby

Selby
01-26-2007, 12:42 PM
a nice bright flower puddling for Australia Day :D

Selby

D Akey
01-26-2007, 05:44 PM
There was an old movie/book title "Please Don't Eat the Dasies"

That does not apply here. Yummy!

Levent Suberk
01-27-2007, 01:26 AM
Very nice colour harmony, dear Selby.

Ulmo
01-27-2007, 05:27 AM
Selby,
Your paintings are always so bright and cheerful. I've admired them ever since I became a member here. Keep it up!
-Ulmo

Selby
01-27-2007, 11:55 AM
thanks D Akey :D meanwhile i dont know how delicious they'd be...tried a few when i was little and they were pretty bitter

thanks Ulmo :D ...its neat to see you here and a big compliment to hear you like my pictures

Selby

Selby
01-29-2007, 12:05 AM
ok three for today.....

mesperiment..was a gestural drawing of me and i kept adding an additional layer and hiding all but the one underneath and changingpencil colours for each layer.

fish..is how i think siames fightiing fish see themselves

and try not to laugh too hard at gourd...a first go at a painterly life type subject but from imagination...nothing ventured nothing gained.eh?!

Selby :D

maror
01-29-2007, 01:24 AM
:D cool selby

i love all of them... but i was most surprised about the third one...looks very yummy and real! Good work!

Nice time

maror

D Akey
01-29-2007, 02:35 AM
Bet ol' Pud loves the first two rainbow drawings. Would start pawing at the monitor to get the yarns, I'll bet.

The pear is nicely done too. . . from memory yet.

Sad that you can't eat it, looks so delicious and all.

:D :D :D

jacktar51
01-29-2007, 02:56 AM
Selby.....Your paintings are always cheerily bright and colourful,the fighting fish is lovely......it looks just like how they would fancy themselves everytime they look in the glass...can imagine them saying to the other fish.....
'Not you..not you....not you...as he prods the other fish,or gives them a nip, I AM THE FAIREST OF THEM ALL....JACK>

Bejay
01-29-2007, 06:30 AM
Nice work Selby, I particularly like the colours you have used in the sunset painting.

Bejay

'If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.' - Vincent Van Gogh

Selby
01-29-2007, 08:05 AM
thanks Maror-yeah its different for me but i figure the only way to get good at doing that kinda stuff is to have a go :) sadly just sitting and wishing to be good didnt work :lol: :wink:

thanks D Akey-yes he would paw the yarns ...but hes too busy chasing my shoelaces at present

thanks Jack-yep thats exactly as they sound :)

thanks Bejay :D

Selby

Ulmo
01-29-2007, 10:24 AM
-yeah its different for me but i figure the only way to get good at doing that kinda stuff is to have a go :) sadly just sitting and wishing to be good didnt work :lol: :wink:

That's the spirit, Selby! Well said. I don't know why, but this quote and your gourd painting is very exciting to me! You don't know me, but I am strangely proud of you, Selby... is that wierd? I guess that is why I like this forum, it seems that anytime artists can inspire one another, is a good thing!

Excellent painting, Selby! :D

-Ulmo

hinket
01-29-2007, 05:25 PM
I love your cat drawings, Selby, and that gourd painting is really looking good! Nice buttery colour, too.

Levent Suberk
01-30-2007, 01:57 AM
Dear Selby, all of them are very nice, but third one is excellent, speaking brushwork in mind.

ENCHANTER
01-30-2007, 11:58 AM
ooh i really love misperiment , the movement you have there....

and gourd.....:)

Lee
01-30-2007, 02:48 PM
Dear Selby, all your pictures are very nice, love 'frizz', 'lizzard', 'leaf', 'bottle brush'(very cool!), your tiger lillies, and especially pudd kitty sketches , your people characters should have a strip all their own!! you have them down pat !!!

Selby
01-30-2007, 10:13 PM
thanks Ulmo :oops: :) its neat if my little trying can encourage others

thanks Hinket :D

thanks enchanter...yeah thats what i was wanting to get....also i thought trying a different way of doing a portrait might help me be more brave in doing it :)

thanks Lee :D glad you like

Selby

waheednasir
01-31-2007, 07:06 AM
hello selby...interesting and very enjoyable thread to go thru...:). keep at it...good job.

Fashmir
01-31-2007, 09:32 AM
I love the cats Selby. I must show my daughter.

Selby
03-24-2007, 02:03 PM
Hi Guys and gals...been a long time not posting work so finally here is a piece I did for Illustration Friday this week and the topic was "I spy"

Selby

Selby
03-25-2007, 11:59 AM
practicing shapes from my mind

Selby

Selby
03-25-2007, 12:00 PM
Hi Waheed and Fashmir :D sorry to have missed your comments before and very nice to see you both here

Selby

marian
03-25-2007, 03:33 PM
Cool creations selby :)

D Akey
03-25-2007, 06:15 PM
Hahah. Great whirly-gig spies. I wonder if they're analogous to disposable spy satellites you can get at the five and dime. . .

Fun stuff.

Stephen Lo Piano
03-25-2007, 07:42 PM
I spybot? Does this have something to do with Spybot Search and Destroy?

Your deep blue colors in the last image posted here have a bit of shadow added to them. Is this result of a previous lesson on the application of shadows in this subject I saw in one of the earlier pages? Blue is a primary related to the cooler cold colors on the color wheel. I is also associated with depression.

Selby, you really should challenge yourself by painting an image of your favorite photograph. Without using the tracing feature in Art Rage try painting exactly what you see in the photograph. You could draw the outline first and then paint. I'd like to see the result by posting both the photo and digital painting interpretation.

ENCHANTER
03-25-2007, 11:50 PM
I love eye spy..........good to see you do some stuff..........
it reminded me of Leonardo invention helipcopter drawings! :)

tinzo
03-26-2007, 03:51 AM
Hi Selby, lovely colour choices, I see 3 beautiful islands in an Azure Sea. As for your perky little lady..she's cute, a modern miss. :D

jacktar51
03-26-2007, 08:48 AM
Selby hi..... I came in to have a look, you havent posted much recently,as you said,so I took the opportunity, to catch up .very interesting little pictures , you do like strong colours it seems, nice to see you posting Selby...you should do it more often.... Jack.

Selby
03-26-2007, 09:18 AM
wow its like a party in here :D

thanks Marian :)

D Akey :) ya you probly get em for $5 if you take in 3 coupons and spend $20 in store :lol:

Selby

Selby
03-26-2007, 09:22 AM
I spybot? Does this have something to do with Spybot Search and Destroy?No i hadnt even heard of Spybot S&D till just now...just a weird coincidence :)

i might try the photo challenge but it would have to be on a really brave feeling day....realistic drawings are the most scary of all to me

Selby

Selby
03-26-2007, 09:29 AM
thanks Enchanter i love leonardos sketches so its neat if this makes you think of that sorta thing :)

Hi Tinzo :D thanks for dropping in glad you like the islands and my carachter :)

hey jack :) yes i do like strong colours...i think cause its a place in art where you can play with them with out everyone looking at you weird as they might if you went down the street dressed in a cacophony of colour

Selby

Allegra
03-26-2007, 02:16 PM
Hey Selby, I love your cat and Frizz is a wonderful character, I hope to see more of this cutey:)

I read you are learning to use a tablet, is it much of a learning curve from a mouse?

Fashmir
03-26-2007, 06:20 PM
Uh-Ohhhh! Spy probes. There goes the neighborhood. Soon it's an invasion of storm troopers and then it's all " Darth this" and "Emperor" that. Time to ride the tauntaun back to the base and launch for the Dagoba system. :lol: Nice fun Selby.

Selby
03-26-2007, 06:31 PM
Hi Allegra-glad you like cat and frizz :D

I dont know if it is a big transition from mouse to tablet for all but ive found it so.I had to teach myself to draw with a mouse to start which was tricky to do anyhow as i mouse right handed but im a left hander to draw in real media...and now to swop back to the correct hand but still in a different way to real media is another learning curve again.

however id also say its so very worth it and the best tip i got given was from sweedie i believe- who said to tape a bit of paper to the front of the tablet which makes it less slipprey and gives more resistance so its more like real media while you get the hang of it

Selby

Selby
03-26-2007, 06:33 PM
Hi Fashmir :D yes we should launch while we still can or it'll be all bowing and scraping....and i hate scraping...it creases my clothes terribly and im not big on ironing :)

Selby

Selby
07-30-2007, 04:32 PM
hello all...has been a while between being busy and nervous ...so i thought id better post something to get myself going again

.....its not really properly sposed to be her but I was thinking of Delorus Umbridge as i sketched this

Selby

Selby
07-30-2007, 04:59 PM
a few quickies from the beta process

Selby
07-30-2007, 05:00 PM
and one more

Nika
07-30-2007, 11:12 PM
Great gallery. I love your sketches :)

Selby
07-30-2007, 11:46 PM
thanks Nika :D

D Akey
07-31-2007, 03:51 AM
Makes me want to see your characters moving around. Very animation feel to them.

And of course, Ms. Umbrage is conservative, proper and scary as hell.

I remember that Harry Potter's J.K. Rowling was lambasted regularly by the ultra conservative Christian groups for demonizing children's literature, if not the world at large. I particularly recall when she was speaking and taking questions from an audience, one person challenged her at length painting an elaborate demonic picture on the forces she was letting loose and all that. She simply replied, "You're a lunatic."

That was several was years ago, and no doubt those critics and such exchanges were the inspiration for this 1960s ultra conservative counterpoint to the counterculture style character.

While I liked the idea of that character, I don't think she was interesting enough to carry that story. Some people said it was their favorite movie of the series so far.

What did you think?

screenpainter
07-31-2007, 04:00 AM
First time for me to see whole gallery I think. Thank you Selby. Lots of very cool stuff in here. I am particularly fond of the portrait sketch likened to Dolores Umbridge. It has all the playfulness of a Picasso or a Matisse, and somehow every line is perfect. If it were by one of those fellows it would be worth gadzillions. I like it very much.

tinzo
07-31-2007, 04:04 AM
Great colours Selby, I see islands in a azure sea. As for the cute girl, she'd make a great avatar, but not as pretty as the one you have already. :oops:

RobertSWade
07-31-2007, 04:16 AM
My first time seeing your work Selby. Wonderful stuff. :)

ENCHANTER
07-31-2007, 05:25 AM
wonderful characters.............

i llike the mad scientist especially!!! :D

Selby
07-31-2007, 01:08 PM
gosh thanks everyone :D

D'Akey-glad you liked my characters.
Cant believe jk got so much guff for what i think is a wonderfull story and a great addition to litrature in general...funnier still that loads of the people that demonised her had no problem with Narnia.obviosly gits with no friends as Andy would say.

I havent seen the lastest movie yet (its on the list though :) ) but i have just finished rereading the book and i think the character in there serves as a good warning to us all about the supposedly 'well intentioned' we sometimes meet who can be almost worst than voldemort as they are not so easily recognisable being at least at fist more overt in trying to do us in.

gzairborne-thanks :) its a great compliment to be put in the company of such great artists....i do find quick imressionistic sketches are my best art really.....its like they go so fast the bit of my left brain that usually butts in to help on longer more finnished peices dosent have time to get in and ruin thing as it can at other times.

tinzo-thanks..glad you like :oops:

RobertSWade-thanks very much for looking..glad you enjoyed

ENCHANTER-thanks...thought you'd like the playfulness of the mad scientist the most..you always go for the funnest(is that even a word?!) ones :)...nice having someone to be playfull with

Selby

Selby
07-31-2007, 10:58 PM
fun with stencils :D

a stenciltastic flower...and what happens inside the computer when it has a fatal error saving your work

Selby

D Akey
08-01-2007, 02:32 AM
Fun indeed. :D :D :D

Selby
08-01-2007, 10:15 AM
thanks DAkey :D decided ive been too serious in life lately and it was time to play a bit

Selby

mehran
08-02-2007, 02:44 AM
lovely colors selby...keep posting
Are you practicing shapes and volume any more ...please do show...

Aged P
08-02-2007, 03:48 AM
Hi Selby,

Lots of fun stuff!

Glad you've not been blown away in the gales.

Phil

Selby
08-02-2007, 10:05 AM
Hi Mehran...yeh not so much practicing at the mo....between moving house and a few other stressors i got a bit scardy cat....so have retreated to the more comfortable sketchy line drawings for now...but ill be going back once i have more confidence and ill share when i do :D . Am about to start "drawing on the right side of the brain" so hopefully that will help my confidance : )

AgedP-thanks for looking in....nearly was swept off by the sound of the tin flapping on the roof the last few nights :) ...bit concerning as its a brand new apartment..just built...if i were the owners id be making sure i had gale insurance:D

Selby