PDA

View Full Version : Desert Moonlight

Rowena
09-20-2007, 05:44 AM
This painting is based upon a memory of driving through the moonlit Egyptian desert to visit Abu Simbel temple. (It was considered a dangerous passage for tourists so we left in the dead of night).
It was so beautiful there, and Ive tried to recreate something out of this memory...

I struggled a bit with the dune-shadows (done on a 'shadow') layer, but am wondering how I can improve on these...
Suggestions anybody?

Nickillus
09-20-2007, 06:03 AM
Nice subtleties in your moon and sky there.
The dune shadows. I'd tend to soften the edges and texture down a bit with the palette knife. To me, they just leap out a bit at the moment. Only my opinion.

Rowena
09-20-2007, 06:13 AM
Oooh, nice to have input from you Nickullis... your opinion is highly rated, and yes the dune shadow edges are a bit rough. I used masses of palette knife though, but perhaps my colours are wrong too?

Nickillus
09-20-2007, 06:32 AM
Had a really quick fiddle - hope you don't mind. It's just to show you what I'm thinking (perish the thought). I added a bit more paint and broke up the hard edge a bit. It's crudely done, but hopefully does the job (ish).
If you make the dunes closer to the viewer bolder and bigger, while the others recede in scale and clarity, you'll get a nice depth of field too.

Any help.

Rowena
09-20-2007, 09:33 AM
Yes I see where youre going, this is much better!
Thanks for helping me on this...