PDA

View Full Version : High Strung

sallybode
09-05-2007, 06:57 PM
Boy rigging is a pain, I wasn't using stencils but an actual metal ruler on my Wacom Intuos to draw the rigging.

See what you think.

peati
09-05-2007, 09:23 PM
:D I think that is absolutely fantastic.

ginem_ginem
09-05-2007, 10:55 PM
It's a beaute...

sallybode
09-06-2007, 03:23 AM
Thank you both.

RobertSWade
09-06-2007, 04:40 AM
Top notch stuff Sally. But why didn't you use the ruler in your stencil kit?

Bumble
09-06-2007, 05:55 AM
Wonderful Sally I love it.... :D :D

D Akey
09-06-2007, 06:08 AM
That's amazing. What a wonderful image.

I would hang it, but more than that I would give it as a gift.

Bravo.

Photo retouch is a great eye trainer, isn't it.

:D :D :D

sallybode
09-06-2007, 06:12 AM
First of all, thank you for the compliments. Secondly, I wanted to see if it worked, because I am also new to this tablet, so I didn't know if it would work. Either way I have had a hard time lining it up, I'll have to give it another go. I also have loads of templates that I used when I worked as a technical illustrator, was also thinking I could use those. Don't know just how, but I understand best when I have something in my hand. Guess I am tactile.

jimandersonz
09-06-2007, 07:29 AM
wonderful,superior work..you couldscan and use your template astracing images, convert them to variously sized stencils with artrage then you move them zoom them and rotate in artrage..???? i think.

Rowena
09-06-2007, 07:42 AM
Superb work imo!!!
I think the water is masterfully handled, and I love the way the colours of the boat hull seem to describe the life, journeys, and the smell of it all.

Your composition is most interesting too.

By the way I am also about to purchase the Wacom Intuos 3 tablet. Was it worth the cost? And what size tablet did you decide on if you dont mind my asking?
(I have the Graphire 2 smallest tablet, and it works fine excepting I dont like feel of the pen...too much like a bic pen, lol)

Would love to hear your thoughts...

Aunt_Betsy
09-06-2007, 11:35 AM
Hi Sally

I really like this painting! The boat has a bit of a Norman Rockwell look to it.

I was giving the line problem so thought and I made a stencil for doing lines. The line increases in width a little as the stencil is made bigger.

I have all so posted a test picture of the stencil.

I think I'll make a series of these and post them in Art Supplies.

:D :D :D

ENCHANTER
09-06-2007, 12:27 PM
another wow!
:roll:

sallybode
09-06-2007, 01:31 PM
Hi everyone, glad you like the painting. Regarding the Wacom tablet, Rowena, I bought an Intos 6" x 8". It works in all programs, both Windows and MAC. The mouse actually works, I do have a MAC and use Parallels on it to run Windows and there really isn't a functional right mouse click in Windows with the standard MAC mouse. The tablet works well. But I have to unplug it and replug it in so that it has pressure sensitivity in Windows as my computer is a MAC and it runs Windows as a guest OS.

The Intuos is not like the graphire tablet. 1st of all it is much bigger, twice the sensitivity. The additional extra sensitivity translates into being able to be more precise when you want to be. Not only does the tablet have a wider width for the newer landscape monitors, it has extra buttons which can be used from Painter. I have Painter (but I don't use it, I find I like ArtRage better!). As far as the expense, yes, it isn't cheap. But then buying and trying out other tablets to wish you had bought another tablet, isn't cheap either. I have not regretted for one moment getting this tablet. I use a Graphire 3" x 4" at work and I have shelved the one I have here at home. I also have but have also shelved, a tablet by Aiptek. It looked cool but it had a drag feel to in, the Wacom is flawless and is capable of lots of variations. The Aiptek would work and then quit, it was nice size but it didn't work in all my Windows apps for pressure sensitivity like PhotoPaint for example. And it could crash the program I was in. Then their was the reboots and the trouble shooting. And trying new drivers. After a while you have to ask yourself, isn't your time worth something? Yes it is. Get the Intuos, you won't regret it. There is one other tablet to consider because it is so inexpensive and that is made by Genius. I have not tested it but going by reviews, people ended up buying an Intuos for a lot the same reasons that I shelved my Aiptek tablet. The Genius also has the same levels of sensitivity as the Intuos, but the pen is like the Aiptek, just made of plastic. It does have F-Keys across the top which can prove handy. The Intuos has a touch pad you can use with your finger to scroll up and down a web page and also works in most applications to scroll your page. I like that part. It is relaxing to surf the web as I just put the tablet on my lap. Great change from typing. I have tendonitis in my left elbow. Fortunately is doesn't require surgery to go away, I just have to give the elbow less stress. I was getting that in my right elbow too but figured it was the keyboard. So it is good ergonomics for your hands and wrists as well. Now I have a split keyboard coming from Ebay for my ergonomic problems.

Betsy, I'll have to try those stencils, they look like just the thing. Thanks for the suggestions.

Nika
09-06-2007, 09:52 PM
Beautiful work :)

pai
09-07-2007, 07:49 AM
Yes, it's very beautiful and I like the composition of it.

sallybode
09-07-2007, 02:37 PM
Thank you very much, Pai. You do fabulous work. I love your abstracts.

felfish
09-07-2007, 02:41 PM
this is awesome.

screenpainter
09-07-2007, 05:34 PM
Fantastic job. Looks like a real painting. Love the compositon too.

Taron
09-07-2007, 05:54 PM
VERY impressive work! Great translation of the subject with a mild hint of depression. Congratulations on this one! 8)

jacktar51
09-07-2007, 09:32 PM
Sally, Taron is right, this is a very impessive work of art, I love it, it is my kind of painting....... By the way, I have asked for a very simple dot to dot kind of line drawing tool, in the suggestions forum page...I really do like the trawler picture,I dont think the newer ones have the same olde worlde charm,great work Sally...... well done.... Jack.

marian
09-08-2007, 01:42 AM
FABULOUS :!: :)

sallybode
09-08-2007, 06:07 AM
Thank you all for your kind comments. I'll work on my depression, at least, keep it from being contageous. Have to put some happier element in the picture. The bird droppings on the pylon in the foreground I thought was happy, the bird was grinning when it made the social commentary on my work. He didn't like not being included I think. I should put a sign on the pylon to let the birds know it is a "Pay Toilet". Only I don't know what to charge. One or two herrings? Actually herring bones wouldn't look bad either.

I like the look of weathering, I guess it is another reason why grundge is so popular today as when you get it too perfect, it no longer looks real.

Yes, a dot to dot tool, something like you hold down the Alt or Option key and you can continue to draw. Skew would be handy as well on the templates as well as perspective distortion. And being able to copy a selection to the clipboard. That way if you are duplicating one area to work on its color, if is is to dark or other, less time erasing.

However I do mostly keep Photoshop Elements open and I can copy and paste between the two programs quite well and do what ArtRage doesn't have in there. It is just so much fun. The fun part also is that it does so much and is affordable, so never mind. It just makes more of a challenge to figure out how to do it. All the joy of solving Rubic's Cube all in one, who can complain?

Have no time to be depressed, I look at everything around me and think, "That would make a great painting."

And it is a happy thought.

Again, thank you everybody. I'm still working on remembering everyone's name. Still working on remembering mine too. Grrr.

Adam Black
09-08-2007, 07:14 AM
Gorgeous.