PDA

View Full Version : Tiger in the heart of the Jungle

sallybode
09-04-2007, 05:36 AM
Hope you like it.

Aunt_Betsy
09-04-2007, 06:39 AM
Very nice Sally! Really like the highlights on the tiger's face and the leaves. :D

jimandersonz
09-04-2007, 07:07 AM
nice work.. i am in wonder at your treament of the background and shadows.

sallybode
09-04-2007, 07:57 AM
The picture I found is the size as shown. I enlarged it greatly to make a painting from it. Before beginning, the colors were too washed out, I improved its saturation especially, and then made the tiger a lot more orangey when I painted it.

I begin with cloning many times when I paint, but after fourteen layers or so, it really has little to do with cloning, to block in the basic composition, at that point, I have basically repainted the picture. It has the color but none of the detail, in this case, I changed the color a lot. Took me roughly six hours. I worked after I had the base painted from the reference photo. What I liked best from the photograph was the play of the light on the background and on the tiger. I tried to keep that.

I try to give what I do better color and texturing.

Scribbly McQ
09-04-2007, 07:59 AM
This is wonderful - very strong and definite. Your work is just lovely!

x

D Akey
09-04-2007, 12:51 PM
Oooo. . . don't move or make a sound. . .

What a beauty.

Bumble
09-04-2007, 01:57 PM
Wonderful Sally...I've always loved tigers, and this one is beautiful :D

pai
09-04-2007, 04:08 PM
I like it. Looks like he's waiting or staring at his target. :D

shirly
09-04-2007, 09:00 PM
wow and wow...htis is so realistic!!!!!

shirly
09-04-2007, 09:01 PM
wow and wow...this is so realistic!!!!!

Nika
09-04-2007, 10:11 PM
Great work :)

erwinsoo
09-04-2007, 11:48 PM
woot....good one sally..

ENCHANTER
09-05-2007, 05:45 AM
omg stunning :D

ginem_ginem
09-05-2007, 06:55 AM
I like it how you livened up the colors...

sallybode
09-05-2007, 03:02 PM
There are many ways to approach it, that is restoring color. If you like an image enough to do it but it is washed out, you can either work with it as is and then duplicate your finished art, using muliply mode or overlay or even color burn and adjust transparency to achieve the color you want. Best to merge layers together then as any corrections you make, you need to dupe the layer again. If the adjustment isn't right, I erase what isn't working on the new layer, make another layer to handle other issues, and erase, erase, erase.

But to me this is not where to begin the correction. Start with the photograph and fix that first, it makes anything else you do simpler. However, if you want you can fix every color you paint with and see how far you must adjust every color and do it that way, it is a lot more calculating by eye, you have to pay attention. Normally I just forget myself and just paint.

Photographs are not always easy adjustments to fix. Sometimes you must make selections in your photo editor and correct the hugh and saturation of individual areas. The following are good adjustment methods: levels, curves, brightness and contrast, hue, lightness and saturation, finding your white and black point if there is a color cast. One kind of fix may not be the way to go with the next photograph.

I have a disc of images I bought which has lots of wild life photos on it so they are royalty free already. But they are usually no larger than 600 pixels wide. I like more elbow room to paint so I blow my photos up if I am using an image, trace it, see what is the best approach. It isn't the same with every picture. When you are painting, you can put back more detail than what the photograph had. The picture I posted is that size originally. If you are putting back detail, you should be familiar with what the subject looks like on their own. Sometimes you may have to paint it differently because it doesn't look right, I may repaint the position of a hand because it makes a better compositon. In which case, you have to be a good guesser as to what the hidden hand might look like.

I like to paint birds, but I have owned exotic birds so I know what their little tongues look like, I know how the eyes look, what kind of texture is on their feet, the color of their nails. What their personality is like. I wouldn't hope to do this if I were painting a car engine. But if you were going to restore a photograph, you could do that mostly in ArtRage itself, just not let brush strokes show.

When to use a painting program and an illustration program, the line is a personal preference. If drawing a motorcylec, I'd use an illustration program for that. But I restored a photo of a friend of mine using ArtRage and it was a motorcylce. So the tool is what you want to use it to do. Actually I have found that I like the colors I get in ArtRage better than in anything else I've used, including Painter. I find Painter rather cumbersome, I can use fewer tools and be happier. If the result is good, who cares? It is a great blessing to find a program which can do great things and have money for other things you need such as food, clothing, shelter. God bless the creators of ArtRage.

I am an illustrator/graphic artist by trade, so I have done lots of photo restoration, it is pretty quick for me as I know how to get the job done with a deadline. With most painting I blur any harsh line a wee bit that I paint, unless I like the look the chalk has made. I have to do really tight work that is completely photo realistic, I rather like showing my brush strokes. Doing tight illustrations are no way for me to relax. Need to do the opposite, loosen up. As you can see, I need to do abstracts for that. I am so used to the "make it realistic" that I do in my job, that I do have a hard time to do the impressionistic painting.

I have only recently started using ArtRage, there are many users who are doing great things and use many other techniques. Turning photos into paintings is something that I may get paid to do so it has been my focus for the moment. Ah to be the purest and not have to worry about paying the bills. But then I am forturnate to be a working artist, I work doing graphic arts for a printing company in the city I live in.

Someday...

erwinsoo
09-05-2007, 10:39 PM
useful information sally ... might go out and buy a disk or two of royalty free photos myself...

sallybode
09-06-2007, 05:41 PM
$9.00 well spent at BestBuy.