PDA

View Full Version : man in hat {working title)

jimandersonz
09-03-2007, 05:44 AM
thought i would show some steps in development of my style. this is the underpainting stage.. at least one or two layers will go on top of this

Fashmir
09-03-2007, 06:48 AM
Very cool to see. You have a knack with the dry media of ArtRage. I always enjoy seeing how other artists work. Thanks.

jimandersonz
09-03-2007, 06:56 AM
thanks for your comments on my wip.. man with hat. its totally experimentation. but so is everything, isnt it?

D Akey
09-03-2007, 07:37 AM
Nice Jim.

Look forward to seeing where you go with it.

Nickillus
09-04-2007, 12:50 AM
Hi Jim,
I really like good use of dry media and the textural qualities it brings out. Looking forward to seeing where this excellent start goes with those 'extra' layers.

Nick

jimandersonz
09-10-2007, 11:56 AM
finished underpainting andsome work on 2nd layer.. more work coming later

D Akey
09-10-2007, 03:05 PM
Coming along great. Love the costume.

hanzz
09-10-2007, 04:55 PM
cool!
Nice to see the work progressing. Could you add some comments, like tools , settings paper etc ?

screenpainter
09-10-2007, 08:26 PM
Looking great Jim!

jimandersonz
09-11-2007, 02:12 AM
thanks D Akey..thanks Hanzz ..everything is always experimentation. i dont use settings in any set sort of way, just up or down as the need (or mood of the moment strikes me) i work at 300-400 percent zoom and am constantly popping back and forth to about 75% to see it qs the viewer will. i work small areas at a time..its a continuious adjusting pressure, color, value, texture trying one then another in faith that if it isnt quite right i can "fix It" with another layer.. i use a lot thin transparent color, colored pencil scumbled into wet color, .. my base layer is just approximated color again in faith that i will adjust it later with overlayers.i am all over the spectrum with settings, always changing experimenting and "seeking".. thanks gzairborne.. am i explaining myself in any way understandable?

RobertSWade
09-11-2007, 04:37 AM
I should have your patience. lol. Looking good Jim. :)

ginem_ginem
09-11-2007, 04:41 AM
Nice work..
Hope to see the finished work soon...

jimandersonz
09-11-2007, 07:23 AM
2nd overlayer.. some more color blending and modeling. im satisfied with at point so its signed, cropped, and delivered

D Akey
09-11-2007, 10:30 AM
Neat-o, Jim.

With your hand done style in this one, I wouldn't be so hasty to crop out the crude edge to the pic. Seems consistent, since I could see this on handmade paper -- the kind that has not been trimmed at the edges. Then if it were to be framed, the frame or matte would be well away from the place you stopped drawing/painting.

Trimming is fine, certainly. But this would perhaps give it a ruder feel, somewhat reminiscent of frontier homemade things. I mean, they always trimmed their formal pics, so it's not precisely historically accurate to do it the way I mean. But it would perhaps give it a personalized look, as if reminiscing through the eye of a contemporary artist (which we all are).

:D :D :D

RobertSWade
09-11-2007, 12:27 PM
There are a few people here whose work is unmistakably theirs. This one has Jim Anderson all over it like a watermark. And oh, by the way, I love it. :)

jimandersonz
09-27-2007, 10:33 AM
oh bob, now thats a compliment i do appreciate.. i just want to be uniquely different.. so different that my work doesnt need a signature to be recognized as my own.. good or bad or in between, i jsut want to be different .. but i know that to go on from here i must develop yet a style that is even different from this style that working in now.