PDA

View Full Version : Morning Patrol... A sneak peek for fantasy geeks!

Fashmir
08-30-2007, 01:42 PM
Ok, I know it's mean but here is a cropped peek at my latest effort. It started life as a simple landscape study and became an illustration for a magazine. With the deadline looming and a request from the editor for my March Hare (http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8063url) image, this one will remain unpublished for now. Given the additional time I now have to complete it, I plan to do it up right. 8)

pai
08-30-2007, 01:44 PM
So good already. I'm looking forward to your finished one. Do you mind I ask how long does it take you to finish one like this?

Fashmir
08-30-2007, 02:21 PM
pai- Thanks. This one is 2596 X 3361 pixels. The images below show a section cropped at the actual size and how big the crop area is in proportion to the entire image. I have invested about 12 hours in this image up to this point and I plan to spend at least 8 more. I will reveal sections as I complete more of the image and show the final in the gallery section of the forum.

Selby
08-31-2007, 12:34 AM
oh :shock: :D well im captured..ill definitly be coming back to see this progress...feels kinda Pern-like to me :D ...love how big the actuall size is..im imagining it as an enormous mural sized peice taking up the whole wall of a gallery,and the contrast of the watercoloury feeling background to the wings is really nice <contented sigh> so nice to see more from you again my friend..and just in time for the first day of spring tomorrow :D ..tis like seeing the first flower buds coming into bloom

Selby

AndyRage
08-31-2007, 08:52 AM
Argh! The torment! I can see it's going to be brilliant, and I'm going to have to wait!

Fashmir
08-31-2007, 09:41 AM
Selby- You say the nicest things. :oops: :D :D

Andy- Thanks for the vote of confidence. :D Torment is close to the feeling of being on pins and needles for a new ArtRage release. :lol:

Here's another peek.

AndyRage
08-31-2007, 10:50 AM
Curses...
Right, I'm going to start dropping hints about ArtRage 5.0 now...

D Akey
08-31-2007, 11:34 AM
Feels like we're playing 'Concentration'.

Answer correctly and we'll reveal a section of the puzzle.

And if Selby's right, and it is Pern, we had best get it into the After 9:00 section before Fashmir reveals too much. :lol:

Looks good. Nice color and values.

Fashmir
09-01-2007, 01:14 PM
Andy- :shock: !!!! ArtRage 5.0...?!?!? Your white board extends that far into the future? I'm hoping to live long enough to see your solution for watercolors (I need not remind you). I keep thinking that will be a 3.0 thing. Please by all means start dropping hints. :D Let the torture begin. :twisted:

D Akey- Funny that, I feel I've been in a state of concentration through out this project. 8) Not to worry about the Pern. It's not hard core it's just soft Pern. :lol:

Here is today's peek.

pai
09-01-2007, 04:15 PM
Hi Fashmair,

Thanks for the info. So happy to see your painting in work in progress. :D

screenpainter
09-01-2007, 05:37 PM
Looks fantastic David. What torture to make us wait... :D

ingie01
09-02-2007, 11:48 PM
Hi David, I'm confused. Is this being done with the latest release of Art Rage?
this brings up storage considerations for the computer, then right? Or are you using traditional tools and paints? I know you can do both.

Fashmir
09-03-2007, 06:44 AM
pai- It is a pleasure. I am gratified you enjoy this work in progress.

gzairborne- Thanks. Sorry for the torture. :twisted:

ingie01- <grin> I think your question would please the Ambient team. This is all done in ArtRage 2.5 and it's a pleasure to have it confused with real materials. It says so much about the work they've done so well. There are definitely a few boundaries being pushed for me on this one. I think at one point I had around 25 layers going and the tools continued to slide across my virtual canvas with ease (unless I over sized them). The largest of the many iterative versions in the Morning Patrol folder is about 302 MB and the folder itself is taking up about 3.57 GB. I will eventually archive the progressive versions onto DVD and cull the folder down to the latest ptg file and a PSD for color corrections and a flattened png file.

Nickillus
09-04-2007, 01:01 AM
Swelling folders and big files Fashmir? This all sounds rather familiar.
I'm always eating up my hard disk space with that kind of stuff. You are backing up I hope. Awful to lose all the hard work in a 'pc' moment.

Looking forward to seeing more of this. I can see you're a bit of a tease.

I admitted in my intro posting that I mooch around the Imaginefx forums quite a bit. That site has a real digital fantasy art bias, as does the companion magazine. You might want to duplicate your fantasy work in a gallery over there, if you haven't already, and link it back to this forum. A bit of cross pollination could be rather healthy. More exposure in another friendly setting for your art as well.

Selby
09-07-2007, 04:03 PM
Hurrah :D ...have been away from the boards a bit and had missed catching these latest peeps :) ...the trees make me think of Wollami pines that are big news here lately.

Selby

ENCHANTER
09-08-2007, 09:00 AM
beautiful teaser........all my mind was thinking was.DRAGON....DRAGON...
I like dragons :oops:

can t wait bloke!
:D

Fashmir
09-21-2007, 03:57 AM
I feel I owe you all an apology and an explanation of my delay on this. I have not had time to return to this image for a couple of weeks. It only exists at the home studio and I've been stuck doing a great many hours in the chair at the work studio. I promise I will tackle it soon and post the entire image with no more teasers. Please forgive.

Nickillus
09-23-2007, 12:55 AM
I should think so too Fashmir. Fancy leaving us dangling like this. Good job I never do anything like that - cough. Whenever you're ready, I know it'll be worth the wait. Isn't work a pain sometimes?

Fashmir
03-14-2008, 05:38 PM
Ok so here it is *cough* six months later. I finished it to my moderate satisfaction. Sorry it took so long.

pai
03-14-2008, 06:48 PM
Awesome painting! I love it. That's such a beautiful dragon. The dragon textures are amazing. I also like the background very much. How many actual hours you were working on this? Just can't get my eyes off it. :D

Fashmir
03-14-2008, 07:00 PM
Thanks Pai. :D I spent around twenty hours total working time. For me often the challenge is completing a work that I have been delayed on before other ideas come in and crowd out the one I need to finish. (Whew... that was a mouth full).

screenpainter
03-14-2008, 09:38 PM
Stunning work David. Nothing short of brilliant. Just amazing. :D

D Akey
03-15-2008, 12:51 AM
I was wondering if we would ever see this one again.

Really nice depth. Good atmospheric perspective. That dragon really stands apart from the background which is of course what makes it work so well. It's as if the mountain is in shadow more or less and the direct light is hitting the dragon. Warm against cool.

I think it must have been a difficult call for the editor of the magazine. Perhaps he chose the other one because it has more impact on the page -- the character is bigger, draws upon more upbeat emotions (humor, whimsy, delight -- something for the kids). A different cup of tea, and a different audience, really. One that is not seen a lot (if ever).

This one is really cool though, and while I understand why they made their choice, I am personally more drawn in by the drama and artistic complexity of this one.

They're both wonderful. I wish you much success.

Fashmir
03-16-2008, 03:19 PM
gzairborne- Thanks. I'm pleased you like it. :D

D Akey- Thanks for describing what you like about it. I was actually very pleased with the editor's choice to include the March Hare in the magazine. While I do like the detail and general atmosphere I have going in the dragon image, there is still something a bit more generically "fantasy art" about it as though we've seen it all before. I feel that the March Hare is perhaps a bit more unique as you point out. Thanks for looking in.

Selby
03-17-2008, 01:07 PM
yea :D finnished at last :D ...well worth the wait :D

love the vastness of the landscape you have the dragon in...a fitting place for such a creature to patrol. the best bit is he looks so very very plausible.

Selby