PDA

View Full Version : Tablets and a piece of paper

Charlie
08-24-2007, 11:52 AM
If you have a graphics tablet, try putting a sheet of paper on top. I find that it can make a huge difference to how the drawing process feels.

ginem_ginem
08-29-2007, 11:21 AM
thanks for the tip.. tried it, it certainly feels different..

stinkyu111
08-29-2007, 11:51 AM
nice tip

the paper adds a bit of grip to the pen

with out now is like slipping and sliding :)

thanks

Steve

Jodi Frye
08-31-2007, 12:45 AM
anyone ever use the felt nib on wacom pen ? Wacom store sells it for Intuos pen but no mention of it for Graphire which is what i use...it is suppose to have a similar effect to the paper trick... I'm wondering what the difference is between the Intuos and graphire pen and whether or not the felt nibs will fit in graphire pen and work on the graphire tablet.

cthorpe
08-31-2007, 05:45 PM
I don't know if the felt nibs will fit a graphire pen, but I use them and love them with my Intous. It definitely feels like there is more grip, and it makes a nice *squeak* like a marker when you use it.

As for the paper on the tablet surface, one thing to keep in mind is that it might cause the tip to wear down faster. The paper surface is a whole lot rougher on the tip than the plastic.

C

Nedroid
09-01-2007, 02:22 AM
They'll fit. The pens use the same nibs.

Jodi Frye
09-01-2007, 03:23 AM
Yup, I was just on the WACOM site and it says they are compatible....last I looked a couple of months ago there was no mention of this...yay ! Thanks !

Rowena
09-01-2007, 08:33 AM
I would like to get a Wacom Intuos 3 tablet...
Could someone tell me what size to go for?
I'm looking at the 4X6 atm because of cost, do you think this will be too small?

Thanks for any advice or recomendations.

Jodi Frye
09-09-2007, 11:57 AM
I would have to go bigger as a personal preference...as well I'm saving for an Intuos...no smaller than 6X8 which is what my graphire 3 is.

cornell
04-24-2008, 01:50 AM
Bigger is not always better. I have a 30cm x 30cm oversized intuos2 tablet and it's quite unwieldy. The broad rim makes it so big it doesn't fit well on your lap, but the size of the thing also makes it hard to use next to a keyboard. So go for big, but don't overdo it. Try one out if you can.

Dany51
04-24-2008, 08:15 AM
I agree, the bigger tablete make you move more your hand, it takes more time and you get tired sooner but the small tablet , when you work on a big image it happens that you can't continue a line and have to restart (as you have a small one , you can use it in normal time and the bigger tablet for big images , but you have to have also an bigger screen, isn't it ?
Is a complicated balance between time, energy, what you see and what you get. :)

Jerc
05-05-2008, 10:07 AM
I had an old graphire for years and I use an old intuos in the school computer lab and both of them had terribly smooth surfaces. I got a bamboo a few months ago though, and it has a very satisfying texture. The only downside is that the pen tips wear out much faster.

Rick
05-07-2008, 10:27 AM
I use a Intuos 6x8.. Purchased it 2 1/2 years ago.. Have never used a mouse since the day of purchase.. The size is perfect.. Tons of good things to say for it and can't find a bad feature in it.. (Guess I should get paid for this :) ).. Actually, all kidding aside, it was a very worthwhile purchase and I recomend it for not just the artisticly inclined. but even for day to day computer operations.. Toss the mouse, it's outdated..

Redcap
05-27-2008, 10:21 AM
This technique works awesome! I have had a tough time transitioning from paper and pen to tablet, but I can draw on the computer now! Way to post this, simple yet extremely useful!!!!

t.buchdrucker
05-30-2008, 12:21 PM
i tried this on my intuos 3 too by putting some piece of paper onto it. the feeling is very good, but thats right, the nibs wear down very quickly.
itīs the same with the felt nibs, they wear down quickly too. i made some sketches with it, but after a few minutes i have had an edge in the nib. an they feel more than a feltpen (also on the 6d-art-marker), there for they are made for.
i personelly like the stroke nibs on my grip pen. they give me some elasticity like a brush. unfortunately they are not available for the 6d-pen.
sorry for my english!

greetz

tobias

Judith Tramayne
06-22-2008, 09:57 AM
I have the orginal smallest graphire from about 8 to 10 years ago. I had such a heavy hand I wore a hole (rough spot) in it.

Fixed it by cutting a mylar sheet to fit my small graphire and when it gets rough, I just make another one and scotchtape it to the tablet. Works like a charm.

I use the mylar that is used for overhead projectors -- comes in 8 by 11 sheets.

Couldn't get used to the newer graphires (way too sensitive) -- gave 2 away (LOL)

I like the felt tip the best. Less drag and with the mylar, a nib can last a year and I'm on the computer 14 hours a day.

Haven't used a mouse since I got my graphire. How I learned to use it proficiently was by playing solitaire for a few hours.

For me small is better -- bought a bigger tablet (not a Wacom) and gave it away also.

Judith