PDA

View Full Version : ginem_ginem's Tips Tricks & Tutorial Type Thingey

ginem_ginem
08-23-2007, 04:57 AM
Here you can see my progress step-by-step, with short descriptions of my methods...

ginem_ginem
08-23-2007, 05:07 AM
So here's the sketch based on a reference image of Cedar Walton, pianist...

Here I wont try and depict the likeness of Cedar, but instead use the image just as a color palette, and a reference for anatomy and shading...

Sooo, here it goes:

STEP 1)

Two layers, working on the second transparent one....

I used the pencil tool with 50 % pressure in a dark brown color, just do get the basic sketch. I never use tracing images, and I strongly advise that you don't to, because photography doesn't depict space and geometry the same as the human eye, and It's more challenging and fun....

ginem_ginem
08-23-2007, 07:03 AM
STEP 2)
I use the oil-paint tool 50 % pressure, no thinners, 17 % loading...
Just dab around in strategic places, just to get the overall color scheme right, it can be hard at first, figuring out where to dab and how much, but I think you'll get accustomed fairly fast.....
I often use, when I haven't got much time on my hands, the eyedropper tool to pick colors from the reference image (shortcut - alt+click)...

ginem_ginem
08-23-2007, 07:18 AM
STEP 3)
Pallete knife - 30% pressure
Now I use a combination of random short strokes just to blend up colors and long strokes that follow the form, to give the image a sense of depth. I still add some colors via the oil-paint tool, if I feel that I lost color information...

ginem_ginem
08-23-2007, 07:44 AM
step 4)
I use a smaller diameter palette knife and brush...
Now, with the smaller diameter brush and palette-knife i add more detail (this is the first time I actually zoom in, I try not to do it earlier not to loose the proportions of the picture)....
I use the, what I call, cross-blending technique to get the sense of aging skin..
I also add colors from the suit to the face and vice-versa, because both the face and the suit have reflective qualities that don't actually show on photos (that's one of the reasons why paintings sometime look truer to life then photographs), you'll see great improvements , when you start doing this....
You can also notice that the painting, in this stage differs from the sketch, that's because each step I try more and more to depict the reference image, the sketch is there just to set up the overall composition of the future work....

ginem_ginem
08-23-2007, 10:09 AM
step 5)

Here I again decrease the oil-paint and palette-knife tools, for more details...
..and set the palette knife to 10% pressure, for more non-aggressive tweaking of the image...
As you can see I added the glasses, and more detail, I'm slowly building up the details, adding the subtle shading, a few more steps and it's finished...
...Guess there are no actual tips and tricks in this step, but I think you can figure out what I did if you compare this image to the last one...
...There's just a few more steps to go.. bare with me....

ginem_ginem
08-23-2007, 11:02 AM
And the last step...

STEP 6)

I used a non loaded brush with a bit of thinners for the shine effect on the glasses.
For the backgr I used Bumble's technique for painting skies http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6698, I don't know if you can see it, but it's a mix of black and dark crimson.
Then i flattened out the two layers, and did a little blending around the edges with the palette-knife...
And I added a few dabs of green around the face and mixed them up with the palette-knife, just to make the overall painting more interesting....

It could do with another step of fine tuning, or even two more, but I mosten often just stop here, because the next steps aren't that fun, I do them only when I feel real anal....

ginem_ginem
08-23-2007, 11:10 AM
footnote:

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask, I am glad to help...
And please comment if this tutorial helped you in any way, and if not, tell me how could I make future tutorials better...

And please do know, like all humans, I am fulled by praise:)

pai
08-23-2007, 05:09 PM
Very nice tutorial. Thanks for sharing. :)

Rowena
08-24-2007, 09:05 AM
Fabulous tutorial ginem_ginem!

Thank you, you have inspired me, and tomorrow I shall begin my first ArtRage portrait following these guide lines...

Till then,
Cheers, Rowena.

ginem_ginem
08-24-2007, 09:37 AM
Fabulous tutorial ginem_ginem!

Thank you, you have inspired me, and tomorrow I shall begin my first ArtRage portrait following these guide lines...

Till then,
Cheers, Rowena.

If you encounter any bumps on the road, please do not hesitate to ask....

..And, thanks pai!

hanzz
08-25-2007, 01:10 AM
great tutorial, I made a link in the index post of the "tutorial central"

PVIllustration
08-25-2007, 04:13 AM
Nice demonstration indeed. Always interesting to see breakdowns of how other artists paint.

I would however be abit more carefull of value contrast overall. Abit less contrast and I would think you will find it much easier to control the form.

Otherwise splendid painting. The brush strokes are clearly visible - I like that.

cheers,
Peter

ginem_ginem
08-27-2007, 09:18 AM
Sooo, here I'm gonna show you my first ever try at painting livestock....
I dont know what I'm doing here so I'll make my comments bit shorter...

Let's start
Step 1)
The doodle: Used a reference image from a stock-photo website, since I didn't have a calf at hand :)...
Just the basic shapes and geometry here.... I think you cant see it here but I started with straight lines and sharp angles, as I do with shapes I'm not sure of....

ginem_ginem
08-27-2007, 09:31 AM
STEP 2)
Oil brush
- 100 pressure
- 0 thinners
- 8 loading
just the basic color scheme here, didn't load it too much, don't wanna mess it up beyond repair...

ginem_ginem
08-27-2007, 09:38 AM
STEP 3)
Palette knife
- pressure 100

First blend, just to have a base to work on.... ..First i made long horisontal strokes then some shorter ones following the form....

ginem_ginem
08-27-2007, 09:59 AM
STEP 4)
- Same properties for Oil brush and Palette knife

Just working on the details.... a dab here a blend there, that sort of stuff... It's proving really hard making the eyes look non human; I've been doing human eyes so long that they're like second nature...

ginem_ginem
08-27-2007, 10:20 AM
STEP 5)
- Same settings, smaller diameter

Detailing, more dab-and-blend...
For the shading and reflection I used a blueish-gray...
...Gonna try putting in real detail in the next step, I never really did lot of detail in artrage....

ginem_ginem
08-27-2007, 10:36 AM
STEP 6)
- added 7% thinners to Oil-paint

So, here I didn't blend any of my strokes, just so you can see what I actually do when I say 'dab-and-blend'...
Looks kinda' cool like this...

ginem_ginem
08-27-2007, 11:02 AM
STEP 7)
- added edge to the palette knife tool

So this step composes of tedious blurring via the palette knife, keep in mind that I did use a bit of oils where needed..

ginem_ginem
08-27-2007, 11:20 AM
STEP 8)
- Roller - 12% loaded

Added some backgr via the roller, and a layer of foregr... ...blended it here, and blended it a bit there...
So it's finished...
Hope you like it, and hope it helps....

Rowena
09-16-2007, 08:55 PM
ginem-ginem you have a truly wonderful painterly style, and I love the way your brushstrokes describe the form, its weight, character and texture.

Would you mind explaining to me a bit about how you used layers? Was the calf done in one layer on the canvas? I am guessing that more layers may have been used to preserve your brushstrokes... but I really cant tell.

Also how about color... do you make up a complete palette first, or randomly choose as you go along? I have only tried the later approach but am keen to learn more.

Thanks for this great tutorial! :D :D :D

ginem_ginem
10-07-2007, 12:14 PM
ginem-ginem you have a truly wonderful painterly style, and I love the way your brushstrokes describe the form, its weight, character and texture.

Would you mind explaining to me a bit about how you used layers? Was the calf done in one layer on the canvas? I am guessing that more layers may have been used to preserve your brushstrokes... but I really cant tell.

Also how about color... do you make up a complete palette first, or randomly choose as you go along? I have only tried the later approach but am keen to learn more.

Thanks for this great tutorial! :D :D :D

Thanks...

I added a layer in the front and another one in the back, I try not to use 'em allot...

I just use the LS/H picker, but sometimes, when I want do do something quick, I just pick colors of of the reference image (but in the finishing touches I always use the LS/H to get more natural colors and better contrast)

Squirls
09-16-2009, 08:12 AM
I am very new to ArtRage and feeling around for *my* style. I love playing with the pallet knife. I'm looking forward to playing with this style! You did almost all of this with the knife correct? Also, I noticed you did your background last and it completely changed the look & feel of the portrait. Do you find it helpfull that way and if so in particular reason why? btw Thanks for sharing it!