PDA

View Full Version : My first ArtRage painting

Aunt_Betsy
08-15-2007, 03:46 PM
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here. I purchased ArtRage 2.5 over the weekend and this is my first painting. Iíve been doing vector graphics for the last decade and I have never really made much of an attempt to paint using the computer. I started this with a mouse and then switched to using my Wacom Graphire tablet which I have never really used much.

I experimented with using a bunch of different tools and types of medium and multiple layers. The rock that my tree is on top of was done by squirting a whole bunch on oil paint from the tube and spreading it around with the palette knife. It was kind of like frosting a cake.

I have a bunch of different graphics programs, the one I primarily use is CorelDraw X3, but this program, I believe is the closest Iíve experienced being very much like painting in real life. I use to paint with oils when I was in high school (too many decades ago) but this is a lot less messy.

Please let me know what you think. I didnít use any kind of reference for this; I just made it up as I went along. :)

RobertSWade
08-15-2007, 04:13 PM
Betsy, this is great. Thank you for sharing and welcome and I hope we'll see more from you. :)

Aunt_Betsy
08-15-2007, 04:38 PM
Thank you Robert,

I appreciate the warm welcome. I really have been impressed by some of the paintings I have seen here. I find them very inspiring.

RobertSWade
08-15-2007, 04:44 PM
You are most welcome. There are some very talented people here. There are also some very knowledgeable people. I don't count myself in either group. You'll know them soon I think. :)

screenpainter
08-15-2007, 06:16 PM
I like the dramatic character of the tree and the sky is beautiful. That is a nice first one. Welcome Aunt Betsy.

Aunt_Betsy
08-16-2007, 12:10 AM
Thank you gzairborne,

Iíve always enjoyed drawing trees ever since I was in elementary school. With this one I was trying to create a desolate mood of a single dead tree on a windswept rock outcropping. Iím getting in the mood to start doing some Halloween graphics. :)

AndyRage
08-16-2007, 08:45 AM
Welcome to the forums, Aunt_Betsy.
That's a fantastic tree. It certainly does capture the desolate moods.

Aunt_Betsy
08-16-2007, 03:12 PM
Thank you Andy,

And thank you for such a great program! It takes a lot to lure me away from vectors. :D

sallybode
08-28-2007, 01:27 PM
Ah, found your first post. Nice tree, bark has good texture, and the shadow looks good. The roots edges are maybe a bit too promenant. If you spend a wee bit longer drawing some individual strands of grass among the roots, that could solve that. The highlights on the hills are a little too bright, draws attention from that well done tree.