PDA

View Full Version : How To

Rick
08-09-2007, 11:48 AM
How do I make a stencil??? Thanks a bunch..
Rick

ÄlveKatt
08-09-2007, 01:39 PM
To make a stencil.

Make a PNG image in black and white. Black is the area that lets through paint. White the area that doesn't. Create gradients with grayscale.

You can basically make a stencil of any black and white image by just saving it as PNG.

Rick
08-09-2007, 03:36 PM
Thanks a bunch.. Easy enough..

Tbog
11-01-2007, 05:25 AM
Well that was easy enough--thanks a ton.

James Howell
12-07-2007, 04:50 PM
I have design in AR. and want to type a 3 word logo or stencil and cannot seem to get the hang of the orange things. Can I make a phrase in Pages or Word and then save it .png and then import it to AR. Where will it be? Is there a collection place of templates that you can see and select? or just drag and drop? Can I write over the design in some way other than "stencil"
Thanks

RobertSWade
12-07-2007, 06:27 PM
Hi James,
Stencils can be .jpg or .png. You can create them right in AR by just using black on a white canvas or any other app that will allow you to create those types of files. Once created and saved, just copy them to the Ambient Design folder into the Stencils folder. Doing it right from AR, click on the lower arrow in the layers panel, select Make A Stencil From This Layer then right click on the stencil and select Save Stencil Image To Disk.

James Howell
12-08-2007, 07:10 AM
Thank you now how do we flip a text in order to print it on fabric?

RobertSWade
12-08-2007, 07:17 AM
Download a free graphics program called Irfanview from download.com. It will do that for you. Image ... Horizontal Flip.

http://www.download.com/IrfanView/3000-2192_4-10755180.html?tag=lst-1

12-10-2007, 05:53 PM
Thank you but I have a mac with art rage. Is there another program to do this with a mac?

Someonesane
12-10-2007, 07:43 PM
There's a couple ways you could flip your text in ArtRage. You could stencil the text onto it's own layer, then click on "Transform Layer Contents". In the editing window, you'll see a little arrow on the menu where you'll find an option to flip the layer that contains your text.

Another method you could use is to simply flip the stencil itself by right clicking on the stencil and selecting "flip stencil horizontally". Then you just paint over the flipped stencil.

Did you paint something besides the text? Because usually one would want to flip the entire image when transferring it like that...

EB
12-11-2007, 11:54 AM
I also use the freeware program Imageforge because of other options like flood fill and color replacer etc............

Here is something different:

You can add folders to your AR stencils in addition to he ones that come with the program to sort out your new stencils and also use stencils from other programs or downloads.
AR will display the new stencil folders too.

In windows the path would be :
C:/ programs / Ambient design / Artrage (2?) / resources / stencils...

in that folder, open new folder(s) and name them what ever you like.

If you have other programs with stencils you can run a search for .png files on your pc to find them.

Copy and paste the .png files in your new folder(s)
(Don't click and drag them, that will empty the folder for the other program.)
Remove the ones you don't want.
Downloaded stencils from web or a CD can be put there too.

Then next time you open AR and go to stencils your new folder(s) appear as you slide the bar.

12-25-2007, 01:36 PM
Someonesane asked if we had painted anything else but the stencil. Yes we had painted a sail boat and wanted to put a logo on the boat and also text that would define the location of the sailboat. Then we wanted to use an Avery T-shirt transfer to move the painting to the t-shirt. The problem is the text prints backwards as you would see it in a mirror when it is a white t-shirt. Dark T-shirts do not need the same ironing side so they come out right. The printer will not cooperate and flip the image altho they have a setting for transfer. I have a simple hp deskjet 5740 on a mac. I have word for mac but I do not see how to flip to a mirror image there. Corel essentials 3 or Photo-shop elements 4 for mac doesent seem to help either. I will persever.....

Someonesane
12-25-2007, 06:49 PM
You should be able to just merge all of the layers into a single layer in ArtRage then flip the whole layer. Then when you print it and iron it on it will have been flipped again to read properly.

EB
12-26-2007, 01:54 AM
Most programs that let you import and resize pictures have some type of boarder boxes one can grab and move to resize the picture.

Resize it so it is smaller than the work area, then drag the grab box horizontally threw the picture and out the opposite side of the picture's edge.

The picture is now inverted, resize and print it.

*One can also make a jpg, png or bmp image of any text, I use MWSnap a freeware program in my windows to capture pictures or text, I haven't checked to see what is available for mac. One can resize and flip the captured text and paste it in the picture as described above. Using a png might be the best when it has a transparent background.

It also works to if you want to flip one picture upside down, like when making cards.