PDA

View Full Version : Fur Tutorial(Tiger W.I.P)

Bumble
08-07-2007, 01:04 AM
Here are the steps I went through to do my Tiger Painting.... :D
My original Picture size is 1612x1528. I used a mouse for this painting the settings maybe different for a tablet, I don't know I'll get back to you when I get my new tablet :lol:
I started by laying down the base colours with 100% brush size and 100% loading. Then going over it with a dry brush 100% Size and about 20% pressure(see Tiger(W.I.P.)). :D

Then I added a layer and painted on the colours for the fur using 25% size brush 30% loading and 8% pressure. :D (Tiger(W.I.P.)2

Bumble
08-07-2007, 01:30 AM
Still on the same layer. I tried to keep to the natural flow of the fur as I was painting in the colours as it made it easier to blend later.(Tiger(W.I.P)3)
Then when I was done with all the fur...I used the new blend tool on 28% size and 20% pressure on all the large areas of fur...just to spread the paint out a bit.(Close Up A)

Then with the blend tool set on 4% Size and 20% pressure I blended the colours of the fur together using a sort of up and down motion(In Green on Tiger(W.I.P)4

Then for the outside edges of the fur and the ears I used a single Up or Down motion...to get the whispy fur(In Red on Tiger(W.I.P)4

I've also included some close ups to try to give you a better idea :wink:

Bumble
08-07-2007, 01:38 AM
:D Basically where two colours of the fur touch blend them using the up/down motion.

ÄlveKatt
08-07-2007, 01:43 AM
You might just have posted just what I need for my Endless forest fanart! I think i'll try it out and see how it works at least.

Thanks a bundle.

Bumble
08-07-2007, 01:53 AM
I continued blending the edges of the colours together again trying to keep with the natural flow of the fur(In green on Tiger(W.I.P)5).
I decided that the flow of the fur wasn't right on the right and left so I added another layer and added some more paint in the right flow then I blended it using the same settings but using the motion shown in Red on Tiger(W.I.P)6
If you have problems getting the angle right try rotating the canvas :lol:

Your welcome AlveKatt :lol:

Bumble
08-07-2007, 02:16 AM
I added another layer and drew in some small whiskers around his mouth using the pencil tool on 50% pressure and Softness and 25% size with Precise set to on... :D (nearly finished)
Then I added some whispy hairs to the edge of his fur with the pencil tool and softened them with the new blend tool so they were not so harsh.

For his large whiskers I added another layer and set the opacity to about 59%. Then using the paintbrush set to 7% size and 8% pressure and 30% loading I painted his large whiskers. I used an off white colour sort of a blue-grey. I still found the large whiskers a bit harsh so I went over tham with the eraser set to a very low setting.

There you have it I hope I explained it all OK. If there is any part that I didn't explain very well....just let me know and I will be happy to try and help :D

jessilynn
08-09-2007, 01:57 AM
GORGEOUS!! You did an excellent job, and thanks so much for taking the time to give such in-depth instructions! I am sure this will come in handy for me later. :)

Bumble
08-09-2007, 11:59 PM
You're welcome Jessilynn :D :D

drzeller
08-10-2007, 02:18 AM
He looks very cuddly! I'll let someone cuddle with him first, though!

Great tutorial. Thanks for sharing.

D.

Rowena
08-17-2007, 11:53 PM
WOW Bumble! your work really is impressive.

Thanks for all the detail about pressure and the other brush setttings and layers etc. Its really interesting as I am new to this program and am keen to learn how to use all the tools for good effect like you can.

Can somebody point out for me exactly where to find the 'new blending tool' that you mentioned here? I cant seem to find it anywhere :?

Thanks,
Rowena.

Bumble
08-18-2007, 08:15 AM
Hello Rowena and Thank You... :D :D
You need to have the full version of Artrage and the latest update to use the new soft blend tool...just choose the palette knife tool and click on the soft option.... :D Hope this helps.... :lol:

Rowena
08-19-2007, 09:47 AM
Thank you Bumble for you helpful response to my question.

Happily I have now found the tool! I am just too inept and clueless when using it :oops: and I am glad to have found this thread to show me just how useful a tool this can be.

One more question please: about the zigzag lines which overlay the Tigers fur...are these to show how you used the tool, in a zigzag motion I wonder?

Sorry to be so dumb! I feel sure the different coloured zigzag lines are a part your process, or do they only indicate where abouts you used the tool?

I certainly do appreciate your help,
Rowena.

Rowena
08-19-2007, 09:51 AM
Oooh, and by the way...

Would you mind telling how you got the whiskers to look so good?
(I havent managed to get whiskers looking at all good yet)

Thanks again

Bumble
08-19-2007, 10:28 AM
Hi Rowena... :D
The zig-zag lines are to show how I used the tool..to try and give you an idea of the motion I used with the tool.
The whiskers did take me awhile to get right...it a combination of changing the opacity of the paper and the erase tool on a very soft setting. Just to try and soften them so they don't look so harsh. :D :D

Rowena
08-19-2007, 08:06 PM
Thanks again Bumble! :D

Wow! does one really change the opacity of the paper mid-painting?
I haven't even begun to examine paper possibilities...I have only used the default canvas setting so far.

Opacity of the paper...what an interesting concept! What does that mean I wonder? boy oh boy I have a lot to learn :lol:
But its all such intriguing fun, and now I wish I had a laptop so that I could lie in bed and play around with the ArtRage controls endlessly! (because my head hurts as I have a ghastly cold atm).

Thanks for the paper tip, I hadn't even considered that side of things until now!

Rowena.

milowerx
09-04-2007, 11:16 AM
Great tip Bumble! Thank you for sharing! You are truly a gifted painter. Did you do that from a photo or from memory?

Bumble
09-04-2007, 02:03 PM
Thank You Very much Milowerx.... :D :D I used a photo as colour reference and a picture of my cat to get the pose right :lol:

se7en
09-23-2007, 12:14 PM
That is an impressive drawing! When I look at a tiger or other furry animal I can't see a way to separate the changing and blending colours in my head. Maybe I should just give it a try...

se7en

fulanodigital
09-04-2008, 01:45 PM
Thanks in post this.
You did a great work. I bought Artrage today and i'm learning some techinques.
Thanks
Rodrigo

mrlucmorin
10-28-2008, 02:44 AM
Then going over it with a dry brush 100% Size and about 20% pressure(see Tiger(W.I.P.))

Hi,

Thank you for this nice tutorial.

I'd like to understand how you do that "dry brush" thing in ArtRage.

Regards.

Luc

Bumble
10-31-2008, 01:08 AM
mrlucmorin....you can use a dry brush in Artrage by setting the loading of the paint to 0%. Then you can use the brush to blend.:)

sandyg
11-05-2008, 04:15 PM
Very helpful steps in how you did your lovely Tiger, Bumble.
Thank you.

Valishia
11-20-2008, 12:50 AM
I'm amazed on the work you've done with the tiger :eek:
I just got artrage with a new plate to paint with... So I'm checking out all the ideas here... but this post actually showed how much work you put into an image to get a great picture out of it. :rolleyes: and it gives me some tricks for my kitty paint... :)

Thx for making this post to show every little detail :D

DaveRage
11-21-2008, 06:53 PM
Great tutorial, Bumble! Just put up a link to this from the ArtRage Homepage :)

sally packham
11-24-2008, 10:29 PM
Thank you for this tutorial, it's very helpful, i'm hoping you would be able to do more tutorials please.
Sally Packham

Wingul
11-28-2008, 02:01 AM
we germans say "wunderschön" which means "wonderfull"
its amazing

avionartrage
02-21-2009, 03:53 PM
MY GOOD GOD, that is just awesome, I looove it. Its looks so beautiful and that too with a mouse... just awesome... Its so hard, could I ever do it...:confused:

GREAT TUTORIAL....:D:D:D

MisTikkal
09-15-2011, 02:40 AM
This is beautifully done. Thank you so much for sharing your tips and how you achieved the effects. Really helpful.:)