PDA

View Full Version : Thai Dawn (photorealistic attempt)

marcotronic
07-28-2007, 11:47 PM
Hi folks,

here is my latest work. I used an own photo I took during our last Thailand holidays (Koh Samui) early in the morning as reference (No tracing, though). It was an exercise for me to paint clouds, how the light shines through and the waves as realistic as possible. I think once Ive painted a handful of these pictures Ill be able to paint such realistic landscapes from my mind. That was my main intention when painting this picture (= exercise, practice)

I used a high resolution (2200 x 3000 pixels) for this image. If you are interested I may post some close-ups later...

I know I have mentioned it a few times already, but I really need a kind of blender brush that allows much more subtle blendings and transitions. (as in real life painting with oils and acrylics) Using the palette knife was quite a "pain in the ass" :wink: (It took me many many hours to blend all those colours and strokes) Hope to see it in Artrage 3! :wink: (This would be sooooooo cool!!! 8) )

Personally, I like this picture because I see some progress in my paintings already... :)

Thanks for stopping by
Marco

maror
07-29-2007, 01:06 AM
:shock: that's brilliant marco!

Lovely....and i can see some progress indeed...

Greez maror

pai
07-29-2007, 03:00 AM
Beautiful piece. I like it very much. :)

screenpainter
07-29-2007, 03:31 AM
Beautiful. Dramatic light. Excellent blending. Wonderfully done. :D

ENCHANTER
07-29-2007, 04:01 AM
That is perfectly done....very beautiful landscape........ :D

RobertSWade
07-29-2007, 04:02 AM
GULP!!! Thats just stunning Marco. I suppose you've tried blending with an unloaded brush?

D Akey
07-29-2007, 05:44 AM
Really nice Marco. I can see you are using your picture making skills. Very nice work.

The way that one blends is in the brush itself. You change the settings to where there is no or little paint, as Bob suggests.

Play around with it. I haven't done it in a while so I can't say exactly what settings do what. And when I did a search for the posts that mention it, I couldn't easily find them. (I haven't had my coffee yet.)

If you can get Andy or Dave to answer this, I'm sure they could tell you exactly. But blending is definitely one of the features that has been greatly enhanced in version 2.5.

erwinsoo
07-29-2007, 07:00 AM
incredible painting... btw.. have you tried the palette knife under "soft" option. Its in ver 2.5. Can create rather smooth transitions

thor88
07-29-2007, 07:15 AM
thats wonderful, i do believe i have a new desktop :lol:

Nika
07-29-2007, 07:18 AM
Really beautiful :)

AndyRage
07-29-2007, 09:15 AM
Grogeous, marcotronic. That's a fantastic rendition of a beautiful scene.

alien23
07-29-2007, 10:57 AM
What a fantastic painting. I hope to be as good as that one day.
Please show the close ups, I would like to learn more from you and them.

daprato-art
07-29-2007, 01:39 PM
Bravo for your clouds, you succeed :)
Beautiful piece

Selby
07-29-2007, 11:07 PM
sheesh :shock: this is just practice? :shock: already looks perfect to me :D

Selby

marcotronic
07-30-2007, 12:43 AM
Thank you very much for your kind words! Glad you like it. :D

Yes, Ive tried almost everything for blending (new soft palette knife version, dry oil brush with every setting possible etc.) but I finally ended up with the standard palette knife (as in the old version) in a very small size - the new soft palette knife treats the color on the canvas like chewing gum, I dont like that very much... :lol:

Here are some close-ups (100% crops from the original resolution). As I painted this picture in a zoomed out state most of the time the fine details arent very clean and nice but in zoomed out or downsized view (as posted originally) you see that everything becomes quite smoothed. :wink:

Thanks again for watching.

Marco

marcotronic
07-30-2007, 01:25 AM
Hi again,

I just wanted to show you an example of the type of blending Im after. I took my painting and blended the colours of the clouds very quickly (and a bit too much and too global maybe - just to show you what I mean) in Corel Painter. Here I have a blender brush which is called "Just add water". You can achieve very smooth blendings with that. It kind of blurs the colours but it doesnt smear. If I get something like that in Artrage Im the happiest man on the planet :D

Of course, I could postprocess all my paintings in Painter but Artrage is such a beautiful application and I like it much more than Painter. There are many features in Artrage which are really superior to those in Painter and the GUI is much much better in Artrage, too.

Thanks,
Marco

FooManChu
07-30-2007, 02:02 AM
So stinking beautiful, tears came to my eyes.

Netti
07-30-2007, 02:52 AM
Wow, amazing work Marco, just amazing! :D

screenpainter
07-30-2007, 03:59 AM
What is amazing to me is how well each one of those sections of your picture stands on their own as a completely splendid piece of art. Wow.

FooManChu
07-30-2007, 04:32 AM
I'm with thor88. How's about a 1600x(aspect) for those of us who want a wallpaper?

Or better yet, since you used such a high-resolution, how about a 2048x1536?

That is of course assuming you are allowing it to be used as such.

marcotronic
07-30-2007, 05:33 AM
Hello,
thanks again for your kind remarks everybody! :)

About the wallpaper: Im really feeling deeply honored that some of you would like to have a wallpaper version. I really didnt expect that :D
There are several reasons for me to think that isnt a good idea, though:

1. Most of you will have a monitor resolution that is in landscape format (more width than height) - my painting is in portrait format.

2. Ive tried to cut away some parts of the picture to get a landscape format (cut away most of the sky e.g.) - this completely detroys the compositional balance of this picture.

3. Ive made some bad experience when giving away high resolution images (photographs)

4. In order to have this picture look good at resolutions around 1600 x something I would have had to paint it in an even higher resolution (6000 x something, I think...)

So sorry, but Im really honored. Maybe I provide some wallpapers of future paintings that are more suitable at resolutions about 1280 x ...

Thanks again,
Marco

thor88
07-30-2007, 02:04 PM
even in its current size format it makes an excellent desktop, it doesnt stretch too much.

FooManChu
07-30-2007, 02:24 PM
Um... OK.

Your genius, your call. Ya' bum. :wink:

(Just kidding, if the wink didn't tell you! :) )

AndyRage
07-30-2007, 02:34 PM
Ah, I know the sort of blender tool you want - more bleed, less smudge.
It's on the 'to do' list for a future version of ArtRage. We want to have a wider selection of blending tools.

bassetsketch
07-30-2007, 02:39 PM
wow. talk about patience. it's nice to see such an open scene with so much details :)

marcotronic
07-31-2007, 08:12 AM
@FooManChu: :lol:

@AndyRage: Although AR 2.5 is just a few days old Im already impatiently looking forward to the next version! A wider selection of blending tools sounds awesome to me! Thanks a lot in advance! :D

@bassetsketch: Thanks a lot.

Marco

D Akey
07-31-2007, 08:40 AM
Please, Andy, more brushes? I asked first. . . :cry:

ENCHANTER
07-31-2007, 08:46 AM
hey Marco....that is what ive been wanting too............

ArtRage is so easy to use that I'd rather stay inside with everything.....

I've been good lately.........I've not gone to another application , ive doen all my blending in AR :roll: :lol:

I really hope Ambient has some extra brushes and different blenders (like that in Painter) waiting for us in AR3.0 whoooo ooooooo!!! :D

AndyRage
07-31-2007, 09:04 AM
We'll be reviewing the suggestions forum again. Make sure all your hopes and dreams are there!
However if artists can get the quality of work that marcotronic has in his painting, do we really need to add anything more? ;)

D Akey
07-31-2007, 11:48 AM
marcotronic, you have the chief's ear.

(Ask for brushes. . . brushes pre-made or even customizable. . .sable, bristle, badger. . .lovely brushes. . .even crummy camel hair ones where the hairs come out and get stuck in your painting. . .and you have to make a mess of your picture trying to dig them out. . .brushes that are good for painting to the right. . . to the left. . .brushes that can do grunge. . .toothbrushes for spattering. . .sumi brushes that create parallel though uneven streaks. . .feathering brushes. . .fan brushes for fur. . .it'll be bliss. . . I've requested them till I'm blue in the face. Really. Just look at my avatar? Blue.)

Coydog Blue
07-31-2007, 12:47 PM
absolutely STUNNING. I will now pick up my jaw and go home.
:shock:

FooManChu
07-31-2007, 01:41 PM
We'll be reviewing the suggestions forum again. Make sure all your hopes and dreams are there!
However if artists can get the quality of work that marcotronic has in his painting, do we really need to add anything more? ;)

It's the "if artists..." part that screwed you! Now you have to add more features for those of us not yet at marcotronic's level.

And if that argument doesn't do it for you, then how about:

Just think of what macrotronic could do if more features *were* there!

marcotronic
07-31-2007, 05:42 PM
:lol: You are all absolutely crazy, folks! I love that and I really enjoy this forum! :D

Thanks again for your kind words - I really appreciate them.

marcotronic, you have the chief's ear.

(Ask for brushes. . . brushes pre-made or even customizable. . .sable, bristle, badger. . .lovely brushes. . .even crummy camel hair ones where the hairs come out and get stuck in your painting. . .and you have to make a mess of your picture trying to dig them out. . .brushes that are good for painting to the right. . . to the left. . .brushes that can do grunge. . .toothbrushes for spattering. . .sumi brushes that create parallel though uneven streaks. . .feathering brushes. . .fan brushes for fur. . .it'll be bliss. . . I've requested them till I'm blue in the face. Really. Just look at my avatar? Blue.)

So AndyRage, please, could we have brushes pre-made or even customizable. . .sable, bristle, badger. . .lovely brushes. . .even crummy camel hair ones where the hairs come out and get stuck in your painting. . .and you have to make a mess of your picture trying to dig them out. . .brushes that are good for painting to the right. . . to the left. . .brushes that can do grunge. . .toothbrushes for spattering. . .sumi brushes that create parallel though uneven streaks. . .feathering brushes. . .fan brushes for fur. . .it'll be bliss. . .

I dont want to request them till I'm blue in the face (like a well-known person in this forum...) :lol: :D

Yes, joking aside, I really do think, too, that those brushes mentioned would be simply awesome and a huge asset for the application.

Marco

Caesar
07-31-2007, 10:32 PM
Excellent work! Astonishing! I'm with You "begging" for various brushes types! I wish also that coulours mix as natural one (yellow+blue=green), but I'm afraid this might conflict with how screen (RBG) produces colours.
Finally, didi You use any reference image(s) to tune so nicely composition and colours?

marcotronic
07-31-2007, 11:10 PM
Thanks, Caesar! Glad you like it.

To answer your question - Yes, as mentioned in the initial posting I used an own photo I took during our last Thailand holidays as reference (No tracing, though). My main ambition is being able to paint something comparable without reference(s) one day.

Marco

D Akey
08-01-2007, 02:31 AM
Your mouth to Andy's ear.

:lol: