PDA

View Full Version : "Line art" for political cartoons

vin
07-23-2007, 03:25 PM
Hi,

I just got ArtRage 2 and it's been fun fooling around with its paint abilities.

What I got it for was to produce 'political cartoons'.
I'm thinking of simple stuff in the 'style' of Walt Kelly or Bill Waterson.

I did a search on the forum to see how others have managed, but nothing directly applied. Although the art was very fine.

So before I go reinvent the wheel trying to mimic india ink and 0 brush or pen, does anybody have any suggestions?

Vini

drzeller
07-24-2007, 04:59 AM
You may want to hold out a little longer and see what comes in the new ArtRage 2.5. They are currently testing a Release Candidate, so it may be out soon.

David

John the Artist
07-27-2007, 04:06 PM
My suggestion is like this:

- Select the Paint Brush tool.
- Set Pressure to 10%
- Set Thinners to 30%
- Set Loading to 100%
- Turn Insta-Dry On
- Set your brush width to about 4%

That will mimic a nice line-art sable brush very well. Make it it's own layer and color underneath it for added effect.

=)

drzeller
07-28-2007, 08:46 AM
Does the precise pencil work for this purpose (new in 2.5)?

D.

John the Artist
07-28-2007, 08:58 AM
I find the Precise Pencil, or any pencil, is too light even at the hardest pressures, as well as being too unvarying for line art. The pressure sensitivity afforded by the brush allows for beautiful variation between thin and thickness of line art, like traditional illustrators would have used.

John the Artist
07-28-2007, 09:12 AM
Afterthought:

I still think it runs out of ink/paint way too fast though regardless of the loading/thinning. I don't care how real it is, running out of ink mid-circle just sucks!

Seems to happen more frequently now at higher DPI too.

=(

drzeller
07-28-2007, 09:21 AM
You know, I thought it was my imagination today, but I noticed what I thought was "less paint on the brush," too.

D.

AndyRage
07-28-2007, 09:59 AM
Try the Felt pen tool, with maximum softness, middle wetness, middle pressure, and in 'art pen' mode.

Also, try increasing the thinners on your oil setup to around 45%. It will make your oil paint go further.

John the Artist
07-28-2007, 10:44 AM
Try the Felt pen tool, with maximum softness, middle wetness, middle pressure, and in 'art pen' mode.

50% wetness bleeds too much on the edges for wider strokes. 35% was better. Not as noticeable on thinner strokes. Still too much wash at the tips where the ink lightens to grey though. Drawing forever is nice, but I like the appearance of the paintbrush lines better because they remain true to black. I also prefer the shape of the paint line tips over the felt tip tool.

Also, try increasing the thinners on your oil setup to around 45%. It will make your oil paint go further.

If I go much beyond 30%-35% it begins to wash to grey.

Selby
07-28-2007, 10:47 PM
I find the Precise Pencil, or any pencil, is too light even at the hardest pressures, as well as being too unvarying for line art. The pressure sensitivity afforded by the brush allows for beautiful variation between thin and thickness of line art, like traditional illustrators would have used.it dosent overcome the thickness issue but to overcome the lightness of pencil if i want the precise look i just duplicate the layer...and presto...dark lines :D

Selby

DoodLS
07-29-2007, 12:12 AM
Hi

I find a zero roughness paper changes the way most of the tools work. Also paper size has a great effect on the way things work. Using a pen (Wacom or alt.) will obviously also change the way things work.

1. New Painting.
Select Use Window Size.
Double the Canvas Size (eg if you work 1280 x 1024 then it's 2560 x 2048).
Select Basic Paper. Turn down the Roughness dial to 0%.

2. Zoom is now at 50% (and should be - unless you work details).

3. Various tools now work different. Some examples done with an all black color. Notice how lousy I am with cartoon characters :)

3.1 Brush with following settings. I think it runs quite a long time on zero paper before running dry.
Pressure 50%
Thinners 50%
Loading 100%
Insta-Dry On
Auto Cean On
Size 5%

3.2 Pencil with following settings. Note that if you double click size you can type up to 500%.
Pressure 100%
Softness 50%
Tilt Angle 0%
Precise On
Size 100%

3.5 Chalk with following settings.
Pressure 50%
Size 6%

3.0 Felt Pen with following settings.
Pressure 50%
Softness 100%
Wetness 50%
Art Pen On
Size 25%

3.- Crayon with following settings.
Pressure 100%
Softness 50%
Size 6%

I think Brush/Pencil/Felt pen is the best tools for the job. But what do you say? Anyone up for a similar example?

Also do have a look at the example tutorial from the Ambient website:
http://www2.ambientdesign.com/artrage_cartoon_web.html

C ya, DoodLS

vin
07-30-2007, 04:04 AM
Hi,

Boy! Thanks for all the responses!
Iíve been playing with a new tablet and just now was able to check back in.
I will be trying them all.

Vin-