PDA

View Full Version : Kinda creepy, kinda cute?

Therm0s
05-23-2006, 03:35 PM
Here we have the result of a (way too) early morning doodle session. Can't decide if it's cute or if I need therapy. Opinions?

I actually bothered to animate the little floaty dude HERE (http://www.tomnauman.com/artwork/Floaty.mov) if you're interested. Just right-click and save if the server gives you grief (can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong with the link?). All graphics are ArtRage, motion courtesy of Moho.

Cheers,

Therm0s

Selby
05-23-2006, 04:40 PM
Hi Therm0s, I couldnt get your movie to play even when I downloaded it so I can only comment on the still pictue.

I reckon the lil floaty guy is cute

he reminds me of the purple floaty guy from the 'He-man' cartoons, whom I remember with fondness from my early childhood days when I was still planing on growing up to be 'She-Ra princess of power' as a vocation :)

Aged P
05-23-2006, 07:08 PM
Hi Thermos,

It ran ok here, just left clicked and played.
(Apart from all the usual intrusive interruptions by Apple!)

Very nice drawing and a very nice animation.

I think the little floaty guy being dark is a good idea too. It gives you some options that a traditional spooky character doesn't have. Light emitting eyes and the ability to fade into the background.

cym
05-23-2006, 09:45 PM
I think the little guy could go either way, kinda cute but might really be nasty. I couldn't get the animation to run either, and I have no idea why not. I loved your background on this, and the guy standing on the sidewalk. Great stuff!

AndyRage
05-23-2006, 10:11 PM
Oh that totally rocks!
And the texture you have for the granite surfaces is really really good!
Nice one, Therm0s

bleepnik
05-24-2006, 12:28 AM
Awwww, it reminds me of Vivi Ornitier (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vivi_Ornitier)! Definitely, definitely cute. =]

This is so gorgeous, I absolutely love this style. It looks like a still from a game.

I encountered an internal server error when attempting to access the QuickTime vid, and couldn't download it either. Is the file still there?

More too-early-in-the-morning doodles, please. =]

- Gita

Therm0s
05-24-2006, 12:45 AM
By the power of Greyskull, Selby and Gita are right; it's Orko-Vivi. The subconscious is an odd place. I think he's got Smurf feet, too.

Thanks for all the great comments! Sorry, though about the trouble with the video. I have this linked exactly the same way in the Moho forum, and it works just fine there. Even I get the server error when clicking on the link here. The file is definitely there. Try right-clicking on the link and "save target as". It's a Quicktime .mov file, so you'll need QT to play it. Or try the Moho forum link (http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=20980#20980) to see if that works better.

Rage guys: any ideas?

Thanks again, all!

bleepnik
05-24-2006, 12:53 AM
Yep yep, you're right. If one right-clicks and saves or copies the link and pastes it manually into a new window/tab, the vid loads fine. So could be something in the redirect from these forums to the actual destination.

Smurfs! Omg. Pardon me. Have to go wallow in nostalgia for a bit. =]

Again, great work, Therm0s, thanks for sharing it.

- Gita

bearblue1
05-24-2006, 02:09 AM
I love the way the human character is looking askance at the robed figure. But mostly, what I love, is the setting. Simple, but well crafted.

I like it.

Divian
05-24-2006, 05:07 AM
nice animation, makes me think about the movie some years ago: GHOST "when the dark comes"...

How whas the animation done If I may ask?

ps: Selby, you mean "Orko" :P
http://www.angelfire.com/md/stratosmacca2/images/ORKO2.JPG

ENCHANTER
05-24-2006, 07:27 AM
That is one amazing picture, cute cloaked floaty guy really good! :)

(I was a He Man fan as well) :)

blasting into the room ..'I HAVE THE POWER!!'

Selby
05-24-2006, 11:19 AM
Divian-thanks,yep thats him!

Therm0s- I did try yesterday downloading to my desktop and opening with QT but no dice-no matter though cause I followed you link to the Moho forum and watched it there-now I like him even more alough I do feel a bit <blink> <blink> hypnotised like hes doing a Jedi mind trick on me :)

Enchanter-I know lets grow up and be Masters of the ArtRage universe one day............for me since I now need to master the amazing skills of everyone here to become my super hero alter ego this could take some time....maybe you should take a seat while you wait for me to get skilled up with my new super powers...I'll have Waheeds painterly realism and Friendlys colours and Cyms evocativness and Bluebears imagination and AgedPs super smooth brushwork and Fasmirs pastels skills and Ill have your incredible eye for and patience with (fur) details and Gitas eye for capturing gesture and and.....etc etc et.al.

Fashmir
05-24-2006, 02:42 PM
That's just flat out COOL! Yeah a little cute plus a little scary, but COOL!

Therm0s
05-24-2006, 03:48 PM
Wow! All this for my meager 3rd posting! Flattered to say the least. :oops:

Fashmir: Humble thanks. You underestimate the coolness of a properly renedered mantis! Truly amazing. How's the new Cintiq (jealous)?

Selby: Eeeeexcellent! The keyword is Rhododendron. Await further instruction. <insert maniacal laughter> :twisted:

Devian: Good question, big answer. Let's just say that ArtRage made this incredibly easy.
1. Background/Characters/ghostly goop made as separate layers in Artrage
2. Each layer exported as transparent layers (PNG)
3. PNG output images cropped in Gimp (makes "deformation" easier than full-screen images)
4. Images re-compiled, boned, and animated in Moho (more of an afterthought, but a bit of fun).
Contact me directly for more detail. I'm happy to share source files, but large filesizes prohibit public posting. (This goes for everone. I'm just a noodler having some fun.)

Bearblue1:
Humble thanks. Love to see more of your stuff!

Gita:
Glad you got the vid to work. If Smurfs make you wax nostalgic, take this:
Shirt Tales
Snorks
Disney's Gummy Bears
Silverhawks
Birdman
Hong Kong Fooey (bong chick-a bong, chick-a bong)
. . . Okay, I'm done for now . . . I'm gonna have awful theme songs running through my head the entire night.

Thanks again!

-Therm0lamadingdong

:D

tony
05-24-2006, 11:52 PM
:) Wow, what a doodle love the style and imagination that went into your work. A real charm of a picture and I love the animation.Regards,Tony :)

bleepnik
05-25-2006, 02:20 AM
LOL, Therm0s, you are too much. You might have just a couple years on me, though, or perhaps just different interests? My little Smurfs associative exercise results in the following:

Smurfs
My Little Pony
Care Bears
Voltron
Thundercats
Transformers
G.I. Joe (and knowing is half the battle)
Sgt. Slaughter (obviously)
Ta-na-na-na-naaaaa, Inspector Gadget
Poochie

Hmm.. I wonder if my leap from Care Bears to Voltron is cause for concern... =]

.g

Fashmir
05-25-2006, 02:24 AM
Haa! G- Your leap from care bears to Voltron is called balance. :lol:

Selby
05-25-2006, 11:25 AM
Gita and Therm0s-thats great : ) your bringing back memories of all my childhood favourites- all the ones you mentioned plus

-Rainbow Brite
-Strawberry Shortcake
-The Mysteroius Cities of Gold
-Jem (where Jemima twiddled her earrings and became her super alter ego Jem and saved people from all kinds of strife)
-Astro Boy
-Roger Ramjet
-Pound Puppies
-Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids
-Alvin and the Chipmunks
-DangerMouse
-Dungeons & Dragons
-The Jetsons
-The Scooby Doo show

......I swear though it dosent sound like it- I did do other things in my childhood than watch cartoons :)

ENCHANTER
05-26-2006, 09:11 AM
aww you guys....hmmm......taking me back........70's and 80's

sorry Thermos, have to put my bit in

-The Mysteroius Cities of Gold ...oh i loved this one
-DangerMouse
-Dungeons & Dragons
Smurfs
Thundercats
Transformers
He Man
Battle of the Planets
Mighty Mouse
StarFleet...and

others

sweeneymini
05-26-2006, 09:23 AM
That anims cool 8)

He-Mans rocks. I heard that the starfleet theme tune was performed by Brian May :D

Some more great toons...
Bangers & Mash
Looney Tunes (why dont they show them every weekend any more :cry: )
Bananaman
Super Ted
Garfield

Therm0s
05-26-2006, 04:57 PM
O . . . M . . . F . . . G
SweenyMini just gave me an anurism. I think the mere mention of Bananaman has given me a nosebleed. I haven't so much as grazed a thought of that cartoon in 15+ years. That's been off the air almost as long as Garfield's been out of material! :wink:

Thanks to the Danger Mouse fans as well. I bet I'm one of a handfull of Americans to own the series on DVD. Penfold . . . . Shush!

With all respect to the participants, I think this is getting a little off-topic, so I think I'll start an "animation favorites" thread in the general area. I'd love to keep this one rolling, but seems inapropriate for this board.

Please re-stake your claim to the Saturday morning cartoons that made your childhood memorable (or repressed - thanks Bananaman! - I'm seriously still aghast at the mind's ability to forget!) :shock:

Check it out here! (http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=6268#6268)

Animation-lover extrordinaire:
Therm0s