PDA

View Full Version : how to scumble in artrage? is it possible?

thesleepless
05-22-2006, 07:59 AM
anyone know of a way to get a scumbling effect, hmm how to describe it, as if you're pushing down on the brush very firmly and the bristles splay out in all directions as you quickly change the direction of the brush back and forth? hope this makes sense

maror
05-22-2006, 08:26 AM
:? i think that isn't possible yet. May be you can fake the effect with the knife!
Ps: Andy it's your turn :P

Greez

Aged P
05-22-2006, 08:52 AM
I really miss that for doing backgrounds for portraits.

If you put two similar colours around with the brush and then use the palette knife on 0% it can look like scumbling. but overdo it and it carves out crop circles in the paint.

Using a very large eraser gently over a thinly painted canvas is another temporary measure. If you make the canvas one shade and the paint slightly darker or lighter it sort of works.

But none of this lets you creep progressively closer to the object with a nicely graded scumble.

drzeller
05-22-2006, 08:55 AM
Can one of you post an example of either the effect from another program (or picture), or your results from the techniques above? I am curious what you are talking about, and I cannot picture it in my mind.

Thanks,
D.

thesleepless
05-22-2006, 09:00 AM
yeah i've been trying to use the knife to get that effect but it's a bit too sharp and dramatic

have a look at this (http://www.geocities.com/~jlhagan/lessons/scumble.htm)
and this (http://www.jessbates.com/art/tutorials/glazing_scumble.htm)

Aged P
05-22-2006, 09:03 AM
http://www.fauxtoday.com/imagepages/jacket.html

This is a large scale version but it shows the idea.

Lots of portrait painters have a mix of scumbled colours in the background. It doesn't make sense to the eye. So if you want a dark bit of the picture to stand out you lighten the scumble. and vice versa. The viewer only seems to latch onto the contrasting area. So everything seems to be forward of the background.

Aged P
05-22-2006, 09:07 AM
Hi Thesleepless,

Your example points up another thing I can't simulate.

Doing a full underpainting and then glazing the colour onto it.

Anybody solved that yet?

thesleepless
05-22-2006, 09:09 AM
i havent tried, but in the full version maybe by using transparent layers on top of the underpainting? but i haven't got the full version yet so i can't try it *saves pennies*

drzeller
05-22-2006, 09:13 AM
Thanks, sleepless and Aged P. I'm not sure the jacket example from Aged P exactly matches what I picked up from sleepless' links, but I think I get the idea.

Thanks again!

D.

UndyingSong
11-03-2006, 01:37 PM
In the older version of Art Rage 2, you could scumble by setting the brush loading to 0%, but the newer version seems to have lost it. : (

Fashmir
11-05-2006, 01:32 PM
Scumbling does indeed seem to have gotten broken in the latest release. I know the Ambient team is aware of this and will likely be addressing this and other issues related to blending in the future.

Phil- for a tutorial on glazing see this link. http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=24388#24388

AndyRage
11-05-2006, 01:39 PM
The dry-brushing effect we had in ArtRage 2.11 relied on a sort of 'bug' in the paintbrush code. When that paintbrush backbone was changed to allow the thinner oils to work, the 'bug' was resolved, so dry-brushing worked differently.
I'm trying to get the dry-brushing back to as close to the 2.11 dry brushing as I can, but it'll take a few attempts, probably.

Just keep poking and prodding me on a regular basis to try to tweak it again so I dont get complacent about it....

bob777
10-29-2007, 06:41 PM
Andy...got that figured out yet?

erwinsoo
10-29-2007, 11:26 PM
hey.. thats the effect i wanted for my portraits .. its been very tough to render that effect

Rowena
11-01-2007, 01:39 AM
Scumbling is a much needed thing imo... and I havent been able to find a proper way to re create this since the update came along and changed the way the dry brush works :?

bob777
11-01-2007, 07:10 AM
Is the pastel tool the closest to scumbling at the moment?

erwinsoo
11-04-2007, 08:32 PM
i've tried to fake it using the standard and soft knife but its very effort consuming