PDA

View Full Version : Tulip Orange

DoodLS
06-25-2007, 07:24 AM
Another try on a detailed painting, this time using oil on large paper. Done using own macro-closeup photo with painterly qualities as reference.

DoodLS

Wikash
06-25-2007, 07:47 AM
Are u a copy machine? :o Looks like a picture!

Nika
06-25-2007, 08:50 AM
Fantastic work :)

RobertSWade
06-25-2007, 09:33 AM
Simply wonderful Doodles.

AndyRage
06-25-2007, 10:10 AM
That's stunning work!
You've achieved perfectly that shiny-velvet look of the surface of the flower petals. Brilliant attention to detail.

Thirsty Eye
06-25-2007, 10:13 AM

WOW..
stunning :)
Congatulations..

Bumble
06-25-2007, 11:12 AM
This is beautiful DoodLS :D :D

screenpainter
06-25-2007, 01:33 PM
Very beautiful painting. Andy said it best... stunningly beautiful.

dmeaves
06-26-2007, 06:58 AM
Hey I like it! Everything is so smooth! My only crit would be the background...it's kinda hard for me to tell what it is. Wood? I'm guessing?
But besides that great job!!!

waheednasir
06-26-2007, 07:24 AM
i esp like the palette...:).

pai
06-26-2007, 09:57 AM
Nice color and really good painting. Look so soft on the petal.

D Akey
06-26-2007, 10:02 AM
Very like satin.

Beautiful and tactile.

I would like to see the wood base taken to more of a finish when the flowers are so well resolved. The wood seems a little too careless in this context.

The color of the wood is good, the grain direction is good. Just perhaps some mid range grain tones to make it a bit less posterized.

You definitely can paint. Nice work. :D :D :D

DoodLS
06-28-2007, 07:20 AM
Hi All

Thank you for your warm and inspirational comments. It's needed I'm struggling at the moment not feeling it all comes out right.

Wikash; Ouch am actually trying not to be a copy machine.

dmeaves; Well yes background is a wood fence.

D Akey; With this painting I wanted to try and break the pattern of details. So I planned to paint very detailed on the right, rough style on the left and a flat simple living style for the fence. The left just didn't come out right. I believe you are just right, one probably should be true to the choice of detail/style within an artwork.

Happy,
DoodLS

D Akey
06-28-2007, 07:39 AM
. . .one probably should be true to the choice of detail/style within an artwork.

Well yes and no. Comes down to how it looks in the final outcome. If it looks good, then no more needs be explained to a viewer.

Addressing consistency, there are some approaches where there are washed in areas that get tightened up as one moves to the center of interest. This frequently is an artsy look that was popular with illustrators and artists of the latter half of the 20th century. But that was more a matter of technique that focuses on the panache of the artist's skill. It's sort of that Michaelangelo unfinished sculpture concept where it refers to the pulling of the image out of nothing. Order from chaos.

On the other hand, you're right in that mixing the approach in an unexpected way could sometimes beg the question whether the artist hit the mark or not. Again, it's all in how it looks.

Nonetheless, please don't stop trying new stuff out. You can already paint sensibly, so forays like this will continue to yield much because you could well make them work after all.

Looking forward to seeing more.