PDA

View Full Version : any help with water please?

Wikash
06-24-2007, 09:40 AM
Hi! I can't paint real looking water. Or at least I'm not good at it. Can anyone give me advise or some help? Thanks by advance! :D

pai
06-24-2007, 09:51 AM
Hi Wikash,

There's a thread about this. Maybe you can check it out.

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4314

Or visit the tutorial central, there're lots of nice demonstrations.

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3767

Hope they help and keep have fun with AR. :D

Wikash
06-24-2007, 09:56 AM
Thank you! I'm going to take a look now. :D

Wikash
06-24-2007, 12:00 PM
Allright, here's another try. This time I menaged to make it more like how I paint with real paint. But it's still not good..

arenhaus
06-24-2007, 09:04 PM
Short answer: Don't use single green color.

Long answer: Go out and actually *look* at the water. You will find that open water, like the sea, has at least three colors.

One, usually green, brown, or whatever, depending on the murkiness of the water, depth, and color of the bottom, where you can see the water itself.

Another color is in the reflection of the sky. That depends on the color of the sky, of course; on a clear day it is bluish. On wavy water this forms crisp patterns. It is more pronounced when the sun is behind you than when it is before you. The smaller the angle of sight, the more reflective the water is; you see almost no reflection under your feet, you see 100% reflection at the horizon (but not at sea, where small waves always make some proper color seen).

The third color is seen in highlights from the sun (when it can be seen); it is the same color as the sun - white at noon, reddening at evening. Since you only see it where the water surface reflects the sun exactly in your eye, these highlights are usually tiny chaotic spots.

Where the water is thick enough you can see the sunlight shining through it. This is especially true of tall waves, where this internal scattering often takes place of the transparent proper color.

Foam, when not seen close up, behaves as simple white substance, not reflective at all.

Above all, when not sure of how to paint something, go look at it and analyze what makes it look like itself. There are no magic bullets and no shortcuts to fake it.

Wikash
06-24-2007, 11:44 PM
Arenhaus, thank you for your reaction.:D
I find it more difficult to paint seawater than calm lakes or pools. Moving water is just too complex for me to paint with the knowledge about painting if have now. Drawing disturbed water is a bit easier..
This midday I'm going to try a rough sea again.

Here is a painting of calm water I just made.
First I made the cloud and its reflection. That didn't went as well as the grass and the tree on the right wich I painted afterwards.

Wikash
06-25-2007, 06:02 AM
Ok now I've made my third sea. Can anyone tell me what I can do to make it look better? And am I doing this sea-thing in the right way? Maybe I'm using the right technique the wrong way..

RobertSWade
06-25-2007, 08:18 AM
Let's talk a little more about water. What it wants to do more than anything is to lie flat. Why don't you try doing that kind of water first and work your way up to water that is being acted on by outside forces (wind, currents, rocks, gravity etc). Arenhaus is right on by saying that you have to know what you want to represent looks like. If you don't have access to lakes, rivers etc where you are, you can always Google images and use them as references.

Wikash
06-25-2007, 08:35 AM
Allrighty, thank you RobertSwade.
Then this is my last post in this topic for now. I'll practice till magic happens! :D

Wikash
06-27-2007, 03:55 AM
Today I went somewhere with my dad. As we drove on the highway I saw some landscapes I wanted to paint. This is the first of them. It's not done yet but I just realised the water looks already quite real. I think I'm beginning to learn it a little bit.

pai
07-01-2007, 01:40 PM
It's nice to hear you're painting the place you went. I think you're doing very well. :D

Wikash
07-01-2007, 08:23 PM
謝謝 :D

RobertSWade
07-02-2007, 06:53 AM
That's wonderful. It's very dramatic and your use of different colors really takes up a few notches. Nice job Wikash. :)

brushlady
07-14-2007, 01:44 PM
I also think that your original style was good too. Try to play with it sometimes! ;)

ENCHANTER
07-18-2007, 12:41 PM
water is a strange thing...........

painting water is tough.......i tried it a few times....

it depends on the wind...teh light .....the colours.......anything that will affect it......

im afraid its practice and im still doing that...more you do ....the better you will be.

keep on going :D