PDA

View Full Version : Tree Tutorial

djmez
05-20-2006, 11:51 PM
Here's how to make a corny looking pine tree, using the magical combination of chalk and cockled paper. This is a not-so-secret approach to painting trees, but it's so fast in ArtRage that I had to share.

1. Make a new canvas with cockled paper...maybe make it a bit darker than pure white. You'll see why later. Use very dark brown chalk (I used 70% pressure) to strike a vertical line representing the main post of the tree.

2. Using the same tool settings (70% pressure chalk), select a very dark, mostly desaturated green. Make a tree shape, but don't be precise...let it be loose and organic.

3. Hmm...this wasn't planned well. I wanted to move lighter and lighter, but on step three I clearly went a bit darker. I did this to punch in some shadows, so you can do it too.

4. Ahh, okay, here we are. Turn up the saturation and lightness a bit on that same green, and, with less pressure than before, "feather" the tree where light would hit it. Don't be too delicate, though, because we have a couple more gradations to go.

5. and 6. Gradually saturating and lightening the green, I stroked a criss-cross pattern to pop out the upper and outer branches of the tree. I consciously wobbled the strokes so that they don't look contrived and crappy.

7. Surprise! I added snow. Same technique, just with white. This is why I didn't use white paper. You know, so you can see the snow. This is an optional step if you prefer a warmer climate.

8. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, turn off the cockled paper texture so that no one knows that you cheated.

Hope someone likes it!

David

Weeks
05-21-2006, 02:27 AM
Djmez,

Very nice tutorial..

I'll try soon as i can... :)

Weeks

drzeller
05-21-2006, 06:26 AM
Nice tutorial. Thanks for putting it together.

D.

bleepnik
05-21-2006, 08:55 AM
Hi David. This is lovely. Thanks for the tutorial, and welcome to the forums!

- Gita

dhruv
02-07-2008, 02:15 AM
Really nice for newbie like me who loves painting but don't know anything.

This is my first painting I would say except school days things.