PDA

View Full Version : My first crayon: Springflowers

DoodLS
06-11-2007, 07:27 AM
Still life painted by reference, during 1 moth, using my own photos. Contours were traced from photos the rest was painted using crayons and various techniques. A gift for my mum.

I decided to see how detailed I was able to paint using a large paper (56cm x 45cm @ 82 dpi). But I was a bit surprised/disappointed about the result. It's "too good". At large scale it looks painted (se detail above), but resized it looks too much like a photo. I must learn a more painterly technique. Anyone?

Happy strokes of
DoodLS

DoodLS
06-11-2007, 07:28 AM
As promised - details with a painterly look. -DoodLS

D Akey
06-11-2007, 07:38 AM
Gorgeous.

Very special images since they are so much yours from beginning to end.

As to technique, painterly is good. But there's a lot to be said about crisp detailed paintings when the subject is so simple (for lack of a better word).

It's like the difference between a painterly version of a diamond and a crisp rendering of one.

Some subjects lend themselves better to detail.

If you had a more elaborate colorful painting, it might be better suited for painterly.

One approach to help you decide -- Ask yourself what is it about the image that makes you want to paint it. Is it the color, the fine detail, the contrast or what? Then a style might suggest itself.

RobertSWade
06-11-2007, 07:51 AM
I often run into the same problem doodles ... IN MY DREAMS!
That's gorgeous.

danbo
06-11-2007, 07:57 AM
sincerely, it's a good painting. Nice so see, nice to imitate !

Peter Pinckney
06-11-2007, 08:30 AM
I'm knocked out Doodls...............your Mum should love it...........I do!

Nika
06-11-2007, 09:16 AM
Very nice. I can see an accurate rendering of the play of light and shadow. The flowers look striking in contrast to the background :)

screenpainter
06-11-2007, 09:46 AM
There is nothing wrong with perfection in art. It looks like a really well painted piece to me, not a photograph at all. It is brilliant and extremely well done. Beautiful. I think it is good that it doesn't look like a photograph. It just looks like a perfect painting. The planter is so smooth and creamy in blending I can feel what it feels like. It is just beautiful and the flowers are amazing. And the lighting is excellent. The colors are perfect.

pai
06-11-2007, 02:36 PM
Hi Doodls,

Very gorgeous painting. :) Are you using 2 layers? One is the background and the top layer is the flower? The close up one shows very well blending.

ddavis
06-11-2007, 03:15 PM
That is really beautiful.

Bumble
06-11-2007, 07:42 PM
Beautiful Flowers...DoodLS :D

arenhaus
06-11-2007, 08:15 PM
It does look like a photo because it has the color signature of a photo.

What the camera registers is patently not what the eye sees. When you look at a photo and paint what you see, well, you get a painting of that photo, not the photographed scene. Which is what happened.

To make it look like a painting, you have to look at real flowers and paint what you see. :) Or at least learn to infer that from a photo - which is a monstrously more difficult task.

screenpainter
06-11-2007, 08:22 PM
I would have to disagree. It looks like a painting to me. A photo would not have those subdued colors and artistic renderings. It is just perfect.

Nika
06-11-2007, 11:52 PM
I have to agree with Arenhause. This pic is closer to a photo. Knowing basic rules of painting every artist has to consider a pespective not only in landscapes. Your background doesn't have any depth. The colours of the flowers and vase are the same all the time. These all gives a phtotgraph effect.
I think this picture will be great in monochrome technique due to its perfect play of light and shadow. :)

Caesar
06-12-2007, 02:24 AM
I can't imagine what would happen the with the second and other forthcoming crayon!! Very good not only for a start!!

tinzo
06-12-2007, 05:48 AM
Hi DoodLS, first I must say that this is a terrific effort for your first go.

The problem I see is that you painted your work a little too large, which is not a problem really, as most current internet artists paint large then reduce on purpose. That's because that reduction clean up their artwork, making lines thinner, softening out blurs etc.

Just imagine if it were the other way around, say your original was 800x600 pixels and you then enlarged it to (56cm x 45cm @ 82 dpi). Just imagine the mess then.

Don't forget we are all limited by the size of these computer screens and the JPEG file format that most internet artist have to use to show our work.

My advice would be, don't paint too big, find a size that suits you, then refine the wonderful tools in AR to accommodate your technique. :D

jacktar51
06-12-2007, 06:24 AM
DoodLS.....I dont care if this is a traced photograph or not...they are both terrific paintings,...excellent work.....Jack.

DoodLS
06-12-2007, 06:31 AM
RobertSWade, danbo, Peter, ddavis, Caesar: Thank you for you sweet comments.

D Akey: Thank you for you comments and tip. It's an interesting idea. Is it me who decide what style to use, or does the scene 'dictate' a certain approach? I recon - the better one get, the more one controls style.

gzairborne: Glad you like it. The planter was surprisingly easy to paint. Just blend and a little reflection and, your brain does the recognition by itself.

pai: Thank you. Yes to the layers. Actually I am using an obscene amount of layers (14). Mainly because I'm new and used various approaches for the painting of the individual flowers. I thought I could easily merge the layers together afterwards - but with accumulative merge modes I couldn't get it to work.

Bumble: Was hoping you would like the flowers - I know you have a soft spot there.

Happy
DoodLS

DoodLS
06-12-2007, 06:31 AM
arenhaus: Thank you for you honest comments. I bet this is a subject that would get a lot of debate - so maybe we should start it in another tread?
My #1 problem is time. I had to snapshot the flowers, since they last only for a couple of days and with my current skills, and lack of time, it takes me weeks to paint.

Nika: Thank you for the tip on perspective. Obviously I cut it short there, not knowing what to make of the background. The photoref was a quick snapshot on a hectic day, so the background is dark and no-good. I have done some reading lately, and I know now that when it comes to painting - the same care should be put into the choice of background as the choice of foreground.
As for the colors - I had put great effort into those, but obviously I'm not good enough.
I had a lot of trouble choosing the right colors (I didn't pick them off the reference - I mixed them by trial and error,
and looked a lot on the colors of the flowers IRL).
But colors are difficult. They change all the time. In direct sun the flowers would appear one way,
in shadow another. The way the flowers point (into/away from the sun) also influence. The leafs are semi transparent,
also making it difficult. The flowers that are sprung out have are more yellow than the more green not sprung out flowers are. Also I made the mistake of using a gray background to start with. Once I started adding background the actual background colors - the yellow/greens changes appearance. So difficult colors are.

I will try to do my best
DoodLS
next time. . .

DoodLS
06-12-2007, 06:55 AM
jacktar51, tinzo:
Thank you for your comments. Very encouraging words from true masters as yourself. Your works are setting the standard of what is possible to do with ArtRage.

Size matters. Size troubles.

I am confused about size in real life vs. a computer screen.

I paint on a canvas factor 1,5 (1920x1371 pixels), to be able to get the details right. On a 1280x1024 canvas the crayons seemed too big. But maybe I was wrong - having tried crayons lately IRL, the size probably is correct.

I suspect that one problem is the size of my monitor. I believe ArtRage works towards a standard 72 DPI display (the old kind, max 15" in size). On my newer 19" LCD monitor, things appear so big - like A4 vs. A3 (if I measure the thing, a19" is close to 82 DPI).

IRL I have never approached anything more than A4, so the size of the thing is intimidating. Maybe I should take your advice and go lower for future works. Thanks.

DoodLS

Bobbi
06-12-2007, 09:04 AM
Now this is just too much. Such realism with this medium is absolutely astounding. You are raising the bar pretty far. Very admirable.

DoodLS
06-16-2007, 06:36 AM
Thank you for you kind words Bobbi. You are too nice!

DoodLS

Little_Artist
06-16-2007, 08:41 AM
I think the daffodils are lovely

CraigTNelson
06-16-2007, 11:20 PM
Your shadows are fantastic, they make a plain scene a pleasure to look at.

screenpainter
06-18-2007, 09:55 PM
Well it is so lovely I think we should keep it around awhile longer. :D

DoodLS
06-19-2007, 08:12 AM
Little_Artist - I think daffodils are lovely too. But difficult to draw.
CraigTNelson - I so enjoyed drawing the shadows. Mysterious colors lies within.

gzairborne - You bump'ed me there, you smily one.

PIB
08-18-2007, 06:49 AM
I can only agree with previous comments.

It would be interesting to watch how your technique develops!

Beautiful.

~P

screenpainter
08-03-2009, 09:40 PM
Doodls, where the heck are ya? You know this is still one of my all time favorites. :)

Raybrite
08-03-2009, 10:10 PM
Those are beautiful. I like to do flowers because they do not complain about not getting it right.
These would say thank you for making them so beautiful.
:):):):):):):)

Silentman
08-03-2009, 11:32 PM
Very nice indeed, i'm with the rest on this one, it doesn't look like a photo, to look like a photo IMHO it would be all glossy, that's not glossy like a photo, don't change a thing, you've reached perfection now rejoice and swim around in it for awhile, heck hold it up high and run around the grounds and say this is my !!!PAINTING!!! you ought to be proud, not concerned with whether it looks like a photo or not.

:D

screenpainter
08-05-2009, 11:59 AM
Either way it was you who took the photo and you who did the painting, so the art is totally yours. :)

ShannonG13
08-06-2009, 02:40 PM
I like the way it looks too.Very nice.

DoodLS
08-27-2009, 07:59 AM
Hi G.
I see you kick-bumped this old thread back to life. To think it's been two years. So much time has passed since then.

I'm still here. Still here. I have been studying new techniques, working IRL using coloured pencils and trying to combine graphite pencils and AR. In time I'll get around to posting my gallery thread: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8430

To everyone: Thanks again for your nice comments.

Happy,
DoodLS

irishrose
09-08-2009, 09:55 AM
Glad it was bumped up... love it... and for crayon, it looks like oils... I like the composition very much and it doesn't look like a photo... it looks like a painting! :)

hibebebebe
12-18-2009, 03:48 AM
astounding image. i thought was photograph.

Lima
12-21-2009, 12:35 PM
Absolutely gorgeous.:eek: