PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question Regarding Layers. :)

UndyingSong
05-18-2006, 03:41 PM
I just finally got the full version of Art Rage 2 (WOOHOO!!), and I am wondering if there is a way to color underneath a layer, rather than over it? I am wanting to color underneath some line art. :)

Fashmir
05-18-2006, 03:49 PM
Yup. Just make a new layer by going to the tools/layer options menu or click ctrl L (cmd L on mac). Then just drag that layer below the other using the layers pallette.

UndyingSong
05-18-2006, 04:05 PM
Heyhey, thanks so much, Fashmir! Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work .. :(
I had to export an image that was the line art, and that was a JPG, and when I try to color underneath it, it doesn't show up at all. Dang ..

AndyRage
05-18-2006, 04:53 PM
If you did the lineart on a transparent layer (either in ArtRage or another application such as Photoshop) export the layer as a .PNG or .PSD
Those formats support transparency.

If it's a PSD, you can open that in ArtRage and have the transparency there. If it's a .PNG, then from the file menu, Import image. Then you can create a new layer in ArtRage, open the layer stack and drag the new layer beneath the original layer. Click on the new bottom layer to make sure it's current, then you can paint to your heart's content underneath. You can also edit the paper settings of the bottom layer to make it an opaque paper if you want. Or add more layers beneath and just have paper on the very bottom one.

Note: If you have another image editing program, you could mask out the white, or convert the lineart to a selection-set, and fill on another layer, before exporting it as a PNG or PSD. (Did that make any sense at all?)

UndyingSong
05-18-2006, 05:40 PM
Hmm, no, I did not save it as a transparent layer, it seems.

I do have photoshop, but it proves to be quite a hassle for my little laptop to open.. Are there any other ways of doing what you mentioned?

AndyRage
05-18-2006, 09:49 PM
Not within ArtRage, I'm afraid. We dont have selection tools and fill tools yet.

UndyingSong
05-19-2006, 06:45 AM
Thank you very much, Sweedie, but I already have the line art done in a different program. I just haven't been able to figure out how to color underneath it.

AndyRage - I got photoshop to work long enough to allow me to make the white around the line art transparent. Then I saved the file as a .psd AND .png, then tried opening both in Art Rage two separate times. It still seems to be registering the transparency as white, and I am unable to color underneath the line art on a separate layer after moving the new layer underneath it. Perhaps there might be a bug in my Art Rage program?

AndyRage
05-19-2006, 09:12 AM
UndyingSong, would you be able to forward the .psd and .png to [email protected], add a note saying they're for Andy to look at to see why they dont have transparency when imported into ArtRage.

kart
05-19-2006, 08:13 PM
UndyingSong,

Here is one thing you can try.

Create a new (blank) painting.
Create an empty layer. This will be a transperent layer.
Load the line art .png as a tracing image.
Click on Edit Tracing Image and make the opacity 100%.
Click Done.
Click on the arrow next to edit tracing image and select Convert Tracing Image To Paint On This Layer.
Turn off the tracing image (press t ).

There you should have it. Now you can add layer below this layer and paint.

If you import any image it gets on the canvas layer and thus you won't be able to get any transperency to it.

Hope this helps.

-kart

AndyRage
05-19-2006, 10:49 PM
Hi Kart.
Even if you import a transparent image as the first layer, you can still go into the paper-settings for the bottom layer and make set the opacity of the paper to 0%. Then you can add a new layer and drag it beneath if you like.
Your suggestion also works well, and has the advantage that you can position and scale the tracing image to get it lined up to where you want before turning it into paint. In fact you can do that with several tracing images to make a collage if you like.

UndyingSong
05-20-2006, 07:33 AM
Hello Kart! Your suggestion seemed like a heaven sent, but now I cannot find this:

Click on the arrow next to edit tracing image and select Convert Tracing Image To Paint On This Layer.
Turn off the tracing image (press t ).

Where is the arrow next to edit tracing image that you speak of? I do not see an arrow there, and I tried to look elsewhere for the option and found nothing. It was frustrating. :( Help?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it. But, I still can't seem to color underneath the line art with the new layer, even after following all of your steps. The lines show up on the new layer, but the one on top still is not transparent. : (

EDIT #2: AndyRage - I finally figured out what the problem was. I successfully managed to get the white around the line art to be transparent. However, what I needed to do after all of that was to edit the paper settings, making the layer transparent within the program. The thing is, I still desperately need a way to do this in the future without using photoshop .. Kart's suggestion seemed promising, but it still didn't work for some reason.

kart
05-20-2006, 04:01 PM
Hey UndyingSong,

Sorry for the confusion.

The lines show up on the new layer, but the one on top still is not transparent.

What do you mean by this?
Is the layer on which you have the line art, not transparent?
Or Is there another layer on top of the line art layer?

Can you add a screenshot of your ArtRage file?
If yes please have the Layers panel open on the side.

Please have a look at the screenshot which has Photoshop file and ArtRage file.
Is this something you are looking for?

UndyingSong
05-21-2006, 04:43 AM
Thank you for the reply, Kart.

You are right. Even after I followed all of the steps, the white areas around the line art still are not transparent, even when I try to change the paper settings to make it so. No, the only layer I have is the new one underneath the line art, and it still won't show through when I try to draw on it.

Looking at your screen shots of the photoshop file and the Art Rage file, yes, this is what I am trying to do, to draw underneath the line art! Exactly!

My problem is that I need a way to make the line art transparent without photoshop. :( Is there a way?

bleepnik
05-21-2006, 08:53 AM
Sure. Why don't you install a similar application that isn't such a resource hog? Dunno whether you are on Windows or Mac, but places like download.com and softpedia.com will have options for both platforms.

.g

UndyingSong
05-22-2006, 07:50 AM
Thank you very much, everyone, for all the wonderful help. I am taking Sweedie's advice and downloading this 'ArtWeaver' program, to see if that will do the trick. =)

I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again!

UndyingSong
05-22-2006, 08:17 AM
Sweedie - I apologize for asking so many silly questions, but how do I go about making the white areas of the line art transparent in Art Weaver? In photoshop, I could do the following:

1. Copy my lineart layer, paste it into a new alpha channel in the channels window.
2. Create new transparent layer, go to Select > Load Selection.
3. Choose the alpha channel in the Channels drop down menu, click the Invert check.
4. Then use a paintbucket with black to fill the selection on the transparent layer, use ctrl-d to deselect.

It doesn't seem that Art Weaver supports channels, so is there another way of going about this and getting the same results? Preferably something that isn't too terribly tedious, if that's even possible. :)

Anyone else who might know about this is welcome to respond, of course! You've all been so helpful already. :)

Aldrik
05-26-2006, 02:58 PM
Hi UndyingSong, You could also try GIMP it's a free lightweight open source image editor (http://www.gimp.org/) thats very similar to photoshop (if your much of a PS user you may prefer GIMPshop (http://plasticbugs.com/), same thing but with a PS layout & shortcuts). It's so similar in fact you could follow the same steps you posted for PS or you could use the colour selector tool. ;)

AndyRage
05-26-2006, 04:05 PM
Just you wait until we write ArtShop. Or PhotoRage. Or something....