PDA

View Full Version : Bumble Sky

Bumble
06-06-2007, 08:33 PM
Here is how I paint my skies..... :lol:
I usually use a canvas size of 2000x1448 for all my paintings but you can use any size.
The paper I have set on basic crumpled or heavy crumpled depending on what effect I want, but you can experiment with different if you want :D

I start with 100% brush size, Pressure and Loading(no thinner).(Step 1)

Bumble
06-06-2007, 08:40 PM
Then I set the brush to 0% loading leaving it at 100% pressure and Size :D I use a tablet so for those of you who use a mouse use 100% size and about 10 to 15% pressure(with 0% loading).
Now I blend the paint using a sort of circular motion across the painting....it's a bit like writing the letter e over an over :lol:

Even though I have the pressure set to 100% I only press very lightly. It doesn't seem to work as well on any other pressure :? :lol: (for me anyway :lol: )

Bumble
06-06-2007, 08:50 PM
Then when I have blended all of it I go over it just to check I haven't missed any bits :wink: And there you have it....hope this was a help to somebody.... :D :D

Caesar
06-06-2007, 09:35 PM
Thank You very much Bumble for Your exhaustive explanation (and marvellous result!)

screenpainter
06-06-2007, 11:03 PM
Thank you so much for taking time to share that with us. It is wonderfully clear. I still think it is genetic however... :D the painting you produced just in doing the example is beautiful. Thanks again, Bumble. Awesome!

Fashmir
06-07-2007, 05:03 AM
This is great stuff Bumble. Good explanation and inspiration.

screenpainter
06-07-2007, 07:39 AM
Thanks again. So you don't use the palette knife at all then?

DoodLS
06-07-2007, 08:13 AM
Dear Bumble

By public request, my hopes was answered. A big - thank you - for the tutorial! You have given away a piece of you, for the benefit of the community. Glorious!

I must give it a try... ... ... Not even close to yours, but, I get the idea. Very difficult it is however to correct any mistakes once blended.

I think the pressure setting is somewhat hardware dependent. My Wacom has become a rather whack-one lately and I have to press VERY hard to get any result at all. Afraid it has been worn out in just 5 month.

Again, thank you.
DoodLS

Bumble
06-07-2007, 08:57 AM
Thank You everyone for the words of encouragement :D :D I am happy to give something back to the community that gave so much to me... :D :D

Gzairborne No I don't use the palette knife at all.... :D

DoodLS It is possible to correct a mistake after blending just add more paint over the mistake and reblend...but yes it is difficult that's why I do it bit by bit so If I do make a mistake I can make use of the undo button :D

pai
06-07-2007, 09:35 AM
Dear Bumble,

You made an excellent tutorial of your Bumble's sky. Thank you very much. I knew that you've used layers in your sky but I still don't quite get it. (I'm too dumb) I'm now using oil + chalk+ airbrush + knife, then did use 0% loading sometimes and then playing around with the opacity level. Now, it sounds like I use everything. :lol:

But your paintings have inspired me big time too. :D Thank you for sharing with us.

Aged P
06-07-2007, 10:05 AM
Many thanks Bumble,

This was a quick trial, I think I used "W"s.

Phil

Bumble
06-07-2007, 09:59 PM
Pai thank you....I am glad to help. :D :D
Aged P :lol: excellent start :D I love it :D :D

Bramblerose
06-08-2007, 12:42 AM
Here's my attempt.[/img]

ENCHANTER
06-08-2007, 06:12 AM
I wondered how you got your excellnt skies,

cheers mate :D

Bumble
06-08-2007, 07:36 AM
great painting Bramblerose :D :D
Enchanter.... :D Your Welcome :D

Bramblerose
06-08-2007, 07:43 AM
Thank you, Bumble.
You did an excellent job explaining your technique. :D

nerkel
06-08-2007, 09:51 AM
Very well done! I tried this out, but unfortunately made the strokes too thick. Oh well, it still turned out alright.

Bumble
06-09-2007, 08:33 PM
Nerkel very good painting you get the idea... :D :D
DoodLS I'm sorry I forgot to say how good your painting is :oops:
Sorry
Wonderful Painting DoodLS... :D :D

DoodLS
06-09-2007, 10:54 PM
No need to feel sorry. Just a test of colour and theqniq. It's a sunny day (at my place), don't worry - be happy ... DoodLS

cripster
06-10-2007, 07:38 PM
ok heres my first sky

it didn't go the way i wanted but i did it :)

screenpainter
06-11-2007, 08:13 PM
Bumble, though you have shared your technique so gracefully, there is still something missing from all our attempts, and that is the inspiration that is within the true one and only Bumble. You have a gift. There is a reason you have learned this technique so well, because you are able to use it along with your fine artistic sensibilities and add the inspiration that is within the Bumble personality to create masterpieces. All I am saying is, there is more to your art than just the technique... much more. Please never stop thrilling us with those unique masterworks that are uniquely made by you. But thanks again for sharing.

Bumble
06-11-2007, 10:10 PM
Cripster...great painting.... :D :D You definitely have the right idea :D

gzairborne.......thank You for your very kind words :oops:

screenpainter
06-12-2007, 07:41 AM
Here was my feeble attempt. It takes a lot of patience it seems to me. Now for that sea tutorialů :D :lol: :D

Bumble
06-12-2007, 08:40 AM
Wow...that's excellent Gzairborne :D I like the colours you used.... :D :D

screenpainter
06-12-2007, 08:46 AM
Well, I got them somewhere... I uh can't rembember where. Yeah that's the ticket... :D I used your colors silly.

brushlady
07-14-2007, 01:20 PM
Wow, thank you. This is very neat. I love clouds in my paintings.

spookytale
08-15-2007, 04:38 PM
I am very new :)

These forums are fantastic! I think I could spend weeks just trying out all the tips here.

Thank you for the sky tips.

I used your tutorial, plus the suggestion to use glitter on a lower layer to add texture.

Hope it's ok to be posting, even though this is my first post.

Rowena
08-23-2007, 04:51 AM
Well I know mine is crap (am feeling inferior after checking out just what amazing digital work people are doing out there!) , but I still wanted to thank Bumble for this helpful demo!!

I definitely found this a helpful thread Bumble, you are not only an excellent artist but you are also a great teacher...thank you for helping those like me who are starting out to learn a new and facinating medium!

Rowena.

art novice
09-10-2007, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the excellent tutorial. I had great fun playing with this technique.

Taron
09-11-2007, 10:32 AM
Hey Bumble,

that's such a beautiful tip, thank you very much! I'm already making experiments with it and feel totally inspired to make a whole painting with this great concept. Powerful method. On top of that it brought back to me the interaction with the brush settings, especially InstaDry and AutoClean OFF. I had it somewhat under control when I did my last works in April, I think, and simply forgot how to handle it nicely again. sooooo....

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH! And here's my little test into this thread... :D

Bumble
09-11-2007, 11:08 AM
Brushlady..you're welcome I'm glad to be of help :D :D
Excellent painting spookytale...and thanks for the glitter tip :D :D
Rowena..I don't think your painting is crap I think it's very good. And the colours are great too :D :D
Artnovice..wonderful painting..I'm glad you had fun :D :D
Beautiful painting Taron..I'm happy to have inspired you :wink: :D :D

RobertSWade
09-11-2007, 12:35 PM
I hadn't been following this thread and so, didn't realize there was a School of Bumble developing. Great jobs everyone and I hope you're proud Bumble. Ya done good Kiddo! :)

Bumble
09-12-2007, 10:16 AM
Thank You very much, Robert :D :D :D

Aunt_Betsy
09-25-2007, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the great tutorial Bumble! Here is my first attempt at it. It kind of looks like a storm at sunset. :D

Selby
11-11-2007, 09:16 PM
thanks for sharing this bumble :D i just had a go and as well as being pretty and fun, i found it quite a meditative process just pottering away seeing how it would come out.

Selby

Bumble
11-12-2007, 07:49 AM
Wonderful colours Aunt betsy.....great sky :D :D

Selby......I find it relaxing as well :D :D

jenninjax
01-19-2008, 11:56 AM
I love the technique!!!

Pierre-Luc
03-16-2008, 10:19 AM
hi bumble.........thanks for this great tutorial i think i got the blending method but the thing i don't like about my sky is the choice of colours.........do you have any tips about choosing colors that blend smoothly?

prabinpebam
04-24-2008, 08:50 AM
Great tutorial Bumble!! Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

ginahobbit
05-22-2008, 10:07 AM
Excellent tutorial, I am going to have a bash at this immediately:)

damasocl
05-25-2008, 04:45 AM
Dear Bumble:
Excellent tutorial...
I┤ve read some trips that I didn┤t know!!!
Thanks...:D

Judith Tramayne
06-23-2008, 04:28 AM
Well I found your tutorial fascinating so I had to give it a go. I found if I did the curly e movement horizontally I didn't like it as much as diagonally. I also noticed when I rescaled my painting to a larger size, it was more cloud like.

Your method reminds me of the scumbling I used to do when I painted on canvas with Gensis oils.

I really appreciate what you showed. This forum is awesome!

Judith

Louis
03-09-2009, 08:43 AM
Thank you for this tutorial.
I had to try it for my first attempt in Artrage, I wanted to insert an image but I dont know how (help)

odemilson
03-09-2009, 09:08 AM
Beautiful tutorial! Nice results, it was very useful! ;)

berky93
04-03-2009, 05:55 PM
thanks a ton - I've been trying to figure out how to get that effect, turns out I was completely off (I was using the knife, which does provide some really cool effects, just not that one)

Bumble
04-05-2009, 12:48 AM
Thanks I'm glad you found it useful :D

orbital_chiller
04-05-2009, 02:03 AM
Thank you Bumble for this tutorial. I usually use the knife tool but indeed it doesn't give exactly the same effect. I don't know if it was coded on purpose or if it's a feature trick. The thing weird that happened with me is sometimes it doesn't blend anymore or barelly, don't know if it's a bug or something else because the kniffe didn't blend anymore... maybe something regarding the amount of blend on an area?

Here my try:

Bumble
04-05-2009, 12:25 PM
Great work, Orbital chiller:D

StephenFoster
09-02-2009, 12:38 AM
here is my feeble attempts at sky /clouds using the techniques that you demonstrated in the thread Bumble

its also my first outing with my tablet and i'm new to all thing art (rage)

thanks for the great tutorial

DoodLS
09-02-2009, 07:28 AM
OrbitalChiller: Yes - eventually you will run out of oil. It kind of "dries" up. A workaround is to add a little more wet paint in the same colour and blend away using the B-method.

The method varies with different paper structures. On coarse paper it will dry up quicker, as the paint thends to hang in the paper. Digitally off-coarse...

Happy, DoodLS

byroncallas
09-02-2009, 08:11 AM
Hi Bumble. I hardly ever do anything representational, but your technique could be applied in abstracts too. I thought I'd give a real sky a try. For context I put in some misty hills using your same technique. In both the sky and hills I varied the motion of the dry brush quite a bit which seems to provide varying blend results. In a couple of spops the paint "dried" - had to throw a little more wet on and keep going. There's a couple of touch up places supported by pallet knife where I was struggling with the brush. Good tut. Lot's of fun. Get's quick results.

Alexandra
09-25-2009, 11:30 PM
Wow Byron. Beautiful.
Bumble, thanks for the tutorial-I am just now getting around to these, and what a wealth of info you have provided. I am looking forward to trying and learning.

Squirls
09-28-2009, 05:17 PM
Thank you Bumble.... this is my attempt at your technique.:)

debgay
10-03-2009, 12:12 PM
I loved your tutorial. Here is my first attempt.

irishrose
10-03-2009, 01:58 PM
Wow Deb, you are a fast learner! That's a singing awesome sky!

debgay
10-04-2009, 01:08 AM
Thanks Rose the tutorial was great.

irishrose
10-04-2009, 01:27 AM
Bumble has some really great ones Deb... glad you are here!

Bumble
10-04-2009, 12:07 PM
wow those are all great:D I am glad my tutorial is useful:):)

debgay
10-05-2009, 12:52 AM
Thank you so much for the great tutorial it was so easy to understand and all the ones I have seen made with it have been beautiful.

Alan
12-09-2009, 11:14 AM
Dear Bumble,

This tutorial was amazingly simple, and extremely effective. I saw your finished image on the first page and was like "No way I'm going to be able to do something like that." But with the steps you've provided I have taken a huge liking to this style you've made.

10/10!

:)

funwulf
12-13-2009, 11:59 PM
thank you for the tutorial Bumble, and here is the result with your technique explained above, i realize that it is 100% loaded or not at all ;)
i painted a blue color on top of it and set it to overlay and erasing here and there. now i just wonder if there is any layer masking feature with ar3 :)