PDA

View Full Version : Perspective, with rulers.

AndyRage
06-01-2007, 07:55 PM
Here's an image I did early on the ArtRage alpha testing. It's a means to use the rulers to do two-point perspective.

Create three rulers. Move a ruler to the far edge of your zoomed out canvas, and pin it to you 'horizon line', with the pin touching the edge of the ruler. This is one vanising-point.
Repeat at the other edge.
Now you can use the grip at the other end of the ruler to quickly position them for drawing construction lines for perspective.

Use the third ruler vertically - just right-click drag the ruler quickly to position for vertical lines.

cripster
06-01-2007, 08:01 PM
thats so cool going to try soon :)

maror
06-01-2007, 08:12 PM
why i didn't think about that...wonderful andy!
and it just fit so well in the artrage concept....

Greez

AndyRage
07-26-2007, 06:36 PM
Here's a trick for using rulers pinned to the vanishing points to do perspective drawings.

This was done with an early Beta of ArtRage 2.5, so the rulers look a bit different. But the trick works just the same.

barnburner
12-13-2007, 03:01 AM
Great idea Andy.
Sitting here wondering why using multiple rulers never dawned on me, as I wasted time resetting the angles on a single ruler time after time.. duh..... :)

EB
12-16-2007, 03:49 AM
I like even more rulers.

One pinned for finding shadows for a close light
or one just set at a angle for a distant one and two
more to measure horizontal and vertical length.

To avoid confusion they can be put in the stencil
and guide mode, to exploit the color change.

I also like to zoom out and move them and other
stencils off the work area while they are not in use.
It is like having a work table.

Lamborghini
12-26-2007, 08:09 AM
Oh cool thanks that will help me a lot. :)

clay_baxter
10-21-2008, 05:02 PM
just had this tutorial pointed out, fantastic idea,

AndyRage
10-21-2008, 06:02 PM
Just as an addendum.
You dont actually need to make your canvas big enough to draw the extents of your horizon line for positioning your vanishing points.
Instead you can zoom the canvas out (use your mouse-whee - it's fun!), stretch another ruler way past the extents of your canvas and use that as your horizon line. Draw the horizon line on the bit that's over the canvas. Then Pin your two-point-perspective rulers to the ends of the ruler outside the canvas. When you've pinned those you can delete the horizon-line ruler.

Dany51
10-22-2008, 12:24 PM
Sorry, I did understand the use of the rulers but ...
how you have the pin on the bord of the ruler and how you manage to fix it where you want?
I don't use the rulers for the moment and this is why I don't handle them well.
It seems to me that the technique can be used also for decoration patterns or free hand painting.

KurtF
10-22-2008, 06:24 PM
Outstanding!

Nice to see this implemented.

AndyRage
10-22-2008, 06:46 PM
Sorry, I did understand the use of the rulers but ...
how you have the pin on the bord of the ruler and how you manage to fix it where you want?

Any time the pin on the ruler is visible, you can just pick up the pin and move it. Then you use one of the grips on the end of the ruler to easily extend it and rotate it around the pin.
An easy way to make the pin visible on the ruler is to hold down the <ctrl> key and move the mouse over the ruler - the pin will appear.

Dany51
10-23-2008, 04:39 PM
Thank you very much.:)

namowal
07-19-2010, 05:52 AM
This is the main reason I switched from Painter to Art Range for 95% of my drawings. Drafting tools!