PDA

View Full Version : Changing default canvas

Perendale
03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
I have a feeling this has come up before but I can't find it.

I can change the default canvas on the desktop version (ARV 7.1.4 64bit) but I cannot make it stick. Close the app and re-open and it's the same old default canvas.

Clearly I'm doing something wrong but what? :D

Brett

markw
03-15-2024, 02:54 PM
Hi Brett, it’s working here for me.
After changing the canvas to the one you want to be the Default used when AR launches, are you then clicking on the ‘Use Current Canvas As Default’ option in the Canvas Settings fly-out menu?

Perendale
03-16-2024, 03:25 PM
Yes I am!

I go to the default canvas (the one ARV opens with), go to the canvas settings open the flyout and select 'clear default canvas'. That option then greys out.

Make a new canvas of the size I want (A3 300dpi) open the flyout and select 'Use current canvas as default' and then the 'clear default canvas' becomes dark again.

Close ARV and re-open and up comes the old default canvas not the A3 one.

It feels like I'm missing a 'click' somewhere :D

It's a mystery!!

Brett

markw
03-16-2024, 11:51 PM
Ah yes, I see what’s happening, unfortunately AR's use of term “Default Canvas” in this instance is a bit ambiguous.
Actually it refers to the canvas Texture only that gets used by default, not the dimensions and ppi/dpi of the canvas as well.
It has been requested in the past that a default Size could also be set but as yet, that ability is not with us I’m afraid:(

My solution to this is that I have a folder full of “Template” canvases of differing sizes and starting content.
I just open one of these and then use Save As…, give it a working title (don't want to overwrite the Template!) and then off I go…
The advantage of this over just a default canvas size and texture is that these “Template” canvases can also contain specific Layers and Groups that I know I would have to make anyway. Also they can contain specific Toolboxes I know I will be wanting.

Now you got me thinking about this “starting Default Canvas” thing some more now!
So I’ve just tried a variation on my above Template routine and that was to make an Automator “Applet” that would launch ARV and open a pre existing file.
You could keep this “Applet” in the Dock and then it’s just one Click to launch ARV and have it open your preferred custom “Default” starting Canvas.
Some caveats though:
1: Save As… still needs to be your first act after launching so as to avoid overwriting the starting canvas and also to choose a more suitable location for the new working file to live.
2: This starting canvas needs to permanently stay in it’s original location, and keep it’s original name so that the Automator Applet can still find it again on future runs.
3: If you want a new, different, starting Default canvas then you will need to rebuild the Applet again.

Perendale
03-17-2024, 09:51 AM
Thats very helpful. Thanks!

The problem for me will be that I start most of my paintings on my iPad and then move to the desktop once i have the basics established. So now I know what the problem is (and the irritation of not being able fix it has gone!) just going to the presets and selecting the one i want will be as easy as anything else. I think.

Thanks also for doing the experimenting.

Brett

Enug
03-17-2024, 09:09 PM
Do you mind if I join in this discussion? "Belvrog", Mark you will remember him - made a StartupScript for custom sized canvases". I can't find the post but I have the script. It was made for "ArtRage Build: 4.0.4". I altered the canvas dimensions in the script and it opens AR6. I haven't used it in a long while but I used to have it on my desktop and a simple click would open AR6 with the canvas size I had designated. I should use it again!

I don't know how, or if it's even possible to make the changes to the script for it to open in ARV which doesn't show as a choice on Select an App to open this file".

markw
03-18-2024, 12:40 AM
Well hi June:D no, you go right ahead and jump in here!:cool:
Yes, I remember Belvrog, don’t recall his script though?
I’ve had a quick look though my system and I can’t see that I ever downloaded it in the past and then forgot about it either!
Tried finding his original post but the page is no longer available.
There is a snapshot of it on 'Wayback Machine' but it didn’t capture the link location for the script unfortunately: https://web.archive.org/web/20221201125911/https://forums.artrage.com/showthread.php?47391-Custom-Startup-Canvas-Size-Script-Belvrog
Can you repost the Script?
On a Mac you can bring up the Info window for a file and select there which app should always be used to open said file type.
But then you say Windows doesn't offer you ARV as a choice:confused:
Not sure how windows handles these things but have you tried opening the script from within ARV instead? That might then tell your system that this is a file type that ARV can open in the future when you double click on it.

Enug
03-18-2024, 03:32 PM
Hi Brett and Mark - here is the link to the script.:)

https://www.dropbox.com/t/7aDVdj6NFQxapGys

Perendale
03-18-2024, 03:36 PM
Hi June

As Mark said feel free to jump in any time. :D

Thanks for the link to the script. I'll certainly try it!

Brett

Enug
03-18-2024, 05:01 PM
You're Welcome Brett - I hope you find it useful. I couldn't find a way to add it to my Select an App to open a File but I have it as a shortcut on my DeskTop and also in my Actions and it works perfectly. I had forgotten about this script until I read your original post and now I will see what I can add to the script so I use it. I have a YT channel and most of my canvases are for their dimensions.

Perendale
03-19-2024, 11:19 AM
I've put the script on my desktop too and I just double-click and it opens ARV and the canvas size I have entered. Works very well, when I remember to click it rather than the ARV icon in my dock :D

Brett

Enug
03-19-2024, 06:49 PM
Good to hear.